The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Double Cross on February 19, 2009, 11:56:30 AM
Quote from: Declan on February 19, 2009, 11:44:05 AM
corrupt cronyism has dominated the largest political party in this country for generations and until we have a revolution nothing will change - Take to the streets

Obviously all the other parties are whiter than white, maybe that is why they have done so well in the last few elections  ::)
Probably, the people were happy with what FF was giving them.  Truth is given the length of time that FF have been in power since the inception of the state the endemic corruption and air of invincibility was always going to arise, still, people get the government they vote for and all that.

bcarrier

Well spotted bogball .

There are five names in there for a start.

armaghniac

QuoteTruth is given the length of time that FF have been in power since the inception of the state the endemic corruption and air of invincibility

FF were no angels, but this lining your own pocket was something that Haughey introduced, I think the earlier generations had other motivations.

Everyone knew of people reporting for work in ESB stations that were closed etc, but did nothing about it, neither FF nor Labour SF etc wanted these people laid off (not sure about FG). Even now the ESB have had a pay rise and are exempt from cutbacks affecting the public service, bus companies etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: bcarrier on February 19, 2009, 12:52:27 PM
Well spotted bogball .

There are five names in there for a start.

One of them, Quinn, was the benefactor and I would have thought that he could be ruled out as he had to obtain a loan from Quinn Insurance in order to pay for the other 15% of Anglo. 

Donagh

Am seriously thinking of buying some gold. Anyone any advice on how I go about it?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Lone Shark on October 09, 2008, 12:12:03 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 09, 2008, 10:23:13 AM
Quote from: Lone Shark on October 09, 2008, 04:53:38 AMThat's not going to happen, so go buy gold. Do it now. I'm not feckin kidding.

Been thinking about this myself, any tips/links on where to start??? Excellent article by the way...

A few people have PM'ed me over this. To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about it. There are plenty of online brokers who will look after it for you in terms of certificates, which as I've covered in my previous post, would do fine in all but the most apocalyptic scenario. I want the gold itself, so I'm going through Gold.ie. I'm only just underway myself though. It was always in the back of my mind, but this Irish government guarantee finally got the skids under me.

Ask the missus Donagh!!  Seriously, it works on both ways, you have the gold and get the kudos!!!  Apparently India has the worlds largest gold reserves - and it's all hanging around bird's necks.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Donagh on February 19, 2009, 01:38:17 PM
Am seriously thinking of buying some gold. Anyone any advice on how I go about it?

In the States, when you buy gold they give you the actual bar, doubloon or nugget, as appropriate. I don't think that applies here; here, I think you more or less buy the right to own gold, so it's a lot like having shares. And if the broker goes belly-up... :(

Zapatista

Is all this gold 'fair trade' or is it stolen from Africa and other places?

the Deel Rover

Comes from monaghan zap  ;) i wonder how these lads are getting on this article was from last year

Gold seam discovered in Monaghan 

The gold seam runs under Armagh, across Monaghan and into Cavan
A huge untapped seam of gold has been discovered near Clontibret in County Monaghan.

The seam, found by Conroy Diamonds and Gold, is believed to be the biggest ever located in Ireland.

Company chairman Professor Richard Conroy said he was delighted by the size of the discovery.

"It's over a million ounces of gold and that's a lot of gold by anyone's standard," he said.

The company issued a formal announcement to the London Stock Exchange saying that it had found the gold, worth around £450m.

"It's a large deposit but it's a low grade deposit so the price of gold becomes very very relevant," said Professor Conroy.

"At present prices it should be economic, so we would expect the feasibility studies to take 18 months to two years, and then we have to go through the planning process, and get a mining licence and then construction can start."

It is thought that the gold covers an area 30 miles in length and Professor Conroy is hopeful of success in Northern Ireland.

"It runs across Armagh, across Monaghan and into Cavan and we're doing quite a lot of work in Armagh.

"We've high hopes of repeating the success of Clontibret in Armagh but it still requires a lot more work. We certainly would hope that something similar would be found," he said.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Zapatista

If remember that :D

I remember at school we all had to wrtie a letter to Downing St to protest against digging for Gold in the Pigeon Top outside Omagh (I Think). I now think it was a mean thing to do as I did it only because my Geography teacher told me to. I had (and still have) no idea what I was protesting against or why I was protesting.

I feel used :(

Lone Shark

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 19, 2009, 02:28:30 PM

In the States, when you buy gold they give you the actual bar, doubloon or nugget, as appropriate. I don't think that applies here; here, I think you more or less buy the right to own gold, so it's a lot like having shares. And if the broker goes belly-up... :(

I went through Gold.ie and while the commission was extortionate, I'd prefer to put my money into magic beans than Gold certificates. The reason for buying gold is usually one of two: (1) Insurance against politicians trying to "inflate away" debt, which is pretty much what they've said that they're going to try to do, albeit against a serious tide of fiscal contraction in the marketplace, and (2) in case of a run on currency and people losing faith in fiat money. The second scenario is very much tin foil hat country, but that's the thing about these "once in a millenium" occurences - for those trapped when it happens that one time, it's a very real disaster and right now the conditions are there.

Either way, you want to take delivery of the gold yourself - there is a real belief out there (I won't confirm or deny it since I don't know the market well enough, merely say that I'm wary) that there is way more paper gold being traded that actually exists, and that several of these paper certs run the risk of "force majeure" being declared, i.e. somebody deciding that external forces have restricted their ability to deliver the gold that they've promised.

Then you have the spectre of government interference - most of the gold certs in Ireland are Perth Mint - but France, for example, bans the removal of Gold from the country as far as I'm aware. Needless to say a similar action by Australia might distort the market somewhat.

Main Street

Do it online.
http://www.bullionvault.com/gold_prices.do?considerationCurrency=EUR
it is of little value anyway to have it in your house or even in a bank vault.
What can you do, even with gold coins?
Put a downpayment on a car a house?
The old 'bite it between the teeth' trick has lost its cred.

Some say Gold will rise in value by 500% /or the paper currencies drop down to real values.

Hound

Ask a question about gold and minutes later there are banners on the website advertising gold!
Have to hand it to them, that's good work.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hound on February 19, 2009, 04:42:17 PM
Ask a question about gold and minutes later there are banners on the website advertising gold!
Have to hand it to them, that's good work.
they've been monitoring this thread for sometime ;) ;)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Main Street on February 19, 2009, 04:35:51 PM
Do it online.
http://www.bullionvault.com/gold_prices.do?considerationCurrency=EUR
it is of little value anyway to have it in your house or even in a bank vault.
What can you do, even with gold coins?
Put a downpayment on a car a house?
The old 'bite it between the teeth' trick has lost its cred.

Some say Gold will rise in value by 500% /or the paper currencies drop down to real values.

To be honest with you Main Street, I had half a mind to carry it around stuffed up my jacksie like Captain Koons in Pulp Fiction.  :-[

Well, it's more reliable than the bank, isn't it?