Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2017, 09:54:21 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 07:51:31 AM
Surely Robbie Keane's goal in the World Cup against Germany in 2002 was a greater moment than all of those?

Football is a global sport, it's mad the way the free state media constantly attempt to overegg the achievements of the egg chasers in an 8 nation sport (who have never made it past the last 8 in its pinnacle tournament).

I'd agree on both counts.

The hype rugby gets in this country is unbelievable.

Yea, remember there was an ad (Guinness I think) that said 'this is rugby country' ffs.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Esmarelda

Surely Robbie Keane's goal in the World Cup against Germany in 2002 was a greater moment than all of those?

Football is a global sport, it's mad the way the free state media constantly attempt to overegg the achievements of the egg chasers in an 8 nation sport (who have never made it past the last 8 in its pinnacle tournament).
I'm not a rugby fan and soccer is a much bigger sport than rugby but surely the Irish team winning a grand slam is bigger than an Irish player scoring an equalising goal in a World Cup match? They didn't even win the game.

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 10:02:57 AM

I'm not a rugby fan and soccer is a much bigger sport than rugby but surely the Irish team winning a grand slam is bigger than an Irish player scoring an equalising goal in a World Cup match? They didn't even win the game.

In my opinion, a man winning a wife carrying world title is bigger than any rugby achievement.

longballin

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2017, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 10:02:57 AM

In my opinion, a man winning a wife carrying world title is bigger than any rugby achievement.

and more exciting than most of GAA county football and the big chess soccer... zzz

mouview

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 30, 2017, 10:46:25 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 30, 2017, 10:26:31 PM
Katie bloody taylor is there, yet Michelle Smith with 3 gold and a bronze couldn't even make it. Mad, Ted.

Ireland's greatest sportsman is in there....either if you say Padraig Harrington or Henry Shefflin

Harrington yes,  -- Shefflin, overrated.

seafoid

Over the period since WW2 I would say the most significant event in Irish sport was Down winning the All Ireland in 1960. It was politically significant beyond its sporting importance. Since then teams from the occupied territories have won Sam 9
8 other times. The establishment of Northern Ireland was an attempt to overwrite history and culture. Down said "f**k youse". And they did it with such panache. They also gave people in the north something to be proud about. As well as a template for excellence.

Tyrone would not have won anything if Kerry had won in 1960.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

The Grand Slam was easily the sporting moment of the 00s. Not even close.

tiempo

Late entry but the current DUP implosion must be right up there.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:22:21 PM

not if your from Tyrone   ;D

Syferus

Quote from: longballin on December 01, 2017, 12:48:53 PM

I think both Armagh and Tyrone's AIs are contenders objectively for the best moment of the decade, but obviously if you're from either county it wouldn't even be close.

The soccer lads didn't do much in that decade, and Kenny Egan and the horse doper would have been our most prominent Olympians. Egan was absolutely robbed in the Olympic final but that's neither here nor there.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:54:17 PM
Quote from: longballin on December 01, 2017, 12:48:53 PM

I think both Armagh and Tyrone's AIs are contenders objectively for the best moment of the decade, but obviously if you're from either county it wouldn't even be close.

The soccer lads didn't do much in that decade, and Kenny Egan and the horse doper would have been our most prominent Olympians. Egan was absolutely robbed in the Ilympic final but that's neither here nor there.

aye the Grand Slam was great

mouview

For me the greatest sporting moment of the greatest sporting moment was Harrington's chipped approach to the 18th in that final round. Having been in the water twice on the hole, and looking like he had done a 'Devon Loch', he still had the presence of mind to hit it dead and minimise the damage with a double-bogey. Ultimately it saved the day for him.

foxcommander

For west brits it was ;)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

longballin

Quote from: foxcommander on December 01, 2017, 02:31:05 PM

For west brits it was ;)

an All Ireland team unlike Martin O'Neill (OBE) team?

Therealdonald

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough