Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 11:28:03 AM
The biggest omission from last nights show was John Tracey winning silver in the Marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics.
Made all the better by Jimmy Magee's commentary as he came to the finish line. That was a great moment in Irish Sport and deserved to be on the list.
An Irishman coming anywhere near the medals in an Olympic marathon is probaly impossible nowadays.

Couldn't agree more. Jimmy Magee's commentary was the stuff of legend. Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck thinking of it.

mouview

80s was best decade for music and sport - maybe one inspired t'other?

longballin

Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 09:02:16 AM
Sure Darby's goal wasn't even voted the greatest Gaa moment of all time. How the hell could it be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment.. ;D
https://youtu.be/dQw2a7Ej_NU

Did you see what was phone voted number 1? Some aul point by Galway in 1998 All Ireland final they won easy, wasn't even the winning point. Phones west of the Shannon were red hot that nite  ::)

Tubberman

Quote from: longballin on November 10, 2017, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 09:02:16 AM
Sure Darby's goal wasn't even voted the greatest Gaa moment of all time. How the hell could it be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment.. ;D
https://youtu.be/dQw2a7Ej_NU

Did you see what was phone voted number 1? Some aul point by Galway in 1998 All Ireland final they won easy, wasn't even the winning point. Phones west of the Shannon were red hot that nite  ::)

Not in Mayo they weren't :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rudi

Quote from: ashman on November 09, 2017, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 09, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM
Focusing on the 1980s tonight.

Top 5 are;

- Barry McGuigan
- Eamon Coghlan
- Ray Houghtons Euro 88 goal
- Stephen Roche Tour win
- seamus Darby AI winning goal 82

No mention of Dennis Taylor's world championship win in 1985. Surely that's Ireland's greatest sporting moment of the 1980s?

For some folk Dennis Taylor would not be eligible.

Snooker is not a sport .

I agree, horse racing either.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rudi on November 10, 2017, 12:47:52 PM

Top 5 are;

- Barry McGuigan
- Eamon Coghlan
- Stephen Roche Tour win

No mention of Dennis Taylor's world championship win in 1985. Surely that's Ireland's greatest sporting moment of the 1980s?

Snooker is not a sport .

Seriously? How do you define a sport?

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 10, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Roche's is definitely the greatest achievement, if not the greatest moment.
Michelle Smith should be the '90s winner so if that's the case.

Show me a rider who wasn't doping. Show me one in the 90s or 00s who didn't, actually. To compete you had to.

So if you want to make the case he's a cheat you'll have to show me the world class cyclists he was up against who didn't because there was few if any that haven't been implicated or rumours spread about. I think it's pretty obvious now that doping in that sport has been so prevalent that you have to have some perspective when judging achievements.

The Tour de France remains one of the greatest physical and mental challenges in existence and an Irish winner of it will always stand above most other achievements.

Roche was a legendary cyclist while Smith was someone who came out of nowhere and went back to nowhere after 96. Swimming is full of dopers too, but that's a story for another day. I'd say fair fûcks to her, but a few laps of a pool doesn't eclipse what Roche did.

so youre ok with Armstrong?

I'm not ok with how he treated his teammate and others, and he seems like a dick (a fascinating one, but a dick all the same) but I'm not going to sit here and pretend he didn't win seven Tour de Frances either, like the UCI want to do.

Cycling has been so drug-fuelled to try to throw out any achievements really misses the bigger picture. The UCI themselves aided and abetted it in many high profile cases.

There's a damn good reason they never retroactively awarded Armstrong's titles to other cyclists - they were doped to the gills too.

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 10, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Roche's is definitely the greatest achievement, if not the greatest moment.
Michelle Smith should be the '90s winner so if that's the case.

Show me a rider who wasn't doping. Show me one in the 90s or 00s who didn't, actually. To compete you had to.

So if you want to make the case he's a cheat you'll have to show me the world class cyclists he was up against who didn't because there was few if any that haven't been implicated or rumours spread about. I think it's pretty obvious now that doping in that sport has been so prevalent that you have to have some perspective when judging achievements.

The Tour de France remains one of the greatest physical and mental challenges in existence and an Irish winner of it will always stand above most other achievements.

Roche was a legendary cyclist while Smith was someone who came out of nowhere and went back to nowhere after 96. Swimming is full of dopers too, but that's a story for another day. I'd say fair fûcks to her, but a few laps of a pool doesn't eclipse what Roche did.

so youre ok with Armstrong?

I'm not ok with how he treated his teammate and others, and he seems like a dick (a fascinating one, but a dick all the same) but I'm not going to sit here and pretend he didn't win seven Tour de Frances either, like the UCI want to do.

Cycling has been so drug-fuelled to try to throw out any achievements really misses the bigger picture. The UCI themselves aided and abetted it in many high profile cases.

There's a damn good reason they never retroactively awarded Armstrong's titles to other cyclists - they were doped to the gills too.

I kind of feel the same. He still had to put the hours in and do the training. It's not as if just taking the PEDs means you are automatically brilliant

WT4E

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 10, 2017, 12:10:10 PM
The biggest omission from last nights show was John Tracey winning silver in the Marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics.
Made all the better by Jimmy Magee's commentary as he came to the finish line. That was a great moment in Irish Sport and deserved to be on the list.
An Irishman coming anywhere near the medals in an Olympic marathon is probaly impossible nowadays.

Couldn't agree more. Jimmy Magee's commentary was the stuff of legend. Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck thinking of it.

Not my era but just watched it - Maybe a silly question but why no black runners on the podium - Did they not compete in Marathons then?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: WT4E on November 10, 2017, 02:02:54 PM

Not my era but just watched it - Maybe a silly question but why no black runners on the podium - Did they not compete in Marathons then?
Don't care enough about the Olympics to know who won in the other years, but Ethopia were amongst the countries boycotting the US Olympics that year.

lurganblue

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 10, 2017, 12:51:29 PM
Quote from: Rudi on November 10, 2017, 12:47:52 PM

Top 5 are;

- Barry McGuigan
- Eamon Coghlan
- Stephen Roche Tour win

Snooker is not a sport .

Seriously? How do you define a sport?

Nah id have horse racing as a sport. Snooker is just a game though... like poker or darts.

lurganblue

Quote from: mouview on November 10, 2017, 12:10:37 PM
80s was best decade for music and sport - maybe one inspired t'other?

That whole "new romantic" ballix rules the 80s out in terms of music IMO

armaghniac

Quote from: lurganblue on November 10, 2017, 02:53:10 PM
That whole "new romantic" ballix rules the 80s out in terms of music IMO

Don't you want me, baby? Don't you want me? Oh!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Me too.
Mind you a lot of people think Charlie  Haughley winning the Tour de France was up there too😀
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2017, 03:15:46 PM

Me too.
Mind you a lot of people think Charlie  Haughley winning the Tour de France was up there too😀

;D