Ireland's Greatest Sporting Moment RTE 2

Started by BennyCake, November 09, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 01, 2017, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2017, 12:22:21 PM
The Grand Slam was easily the sporting moment of the 00s. Not even close.

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

Rossfan

Great to see I'm not alone in my distaste of that abomination of a game called rugby union football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Rugby gets hyped because the media bigwigs in Dublin all attended the snooty colleges.

Can't stand the f**king game.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2017, 04:42:32 PM
Great to see I'm not alone in my distaste of that abomination of a game called rugby union football.
I think it's OK apart from the concussion and the drugs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Rugby gets hyped because the media bigwigs in Dublin all attended the snooty colleges.

Aye, them snooty f**kers like Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, Darren Sweetnam and Tadhg Furlong. Toffee nose gits the lot of them.

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on November 30, 2017, 10:11:30 PM
2000-12 on now. Spoilt for choice tonight. Not.
Are they doing a 2013-2017

Laois beating Armagh,giving them a replay and then beating them again must surely be a contender...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mrdeeds

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2017, 05:34:19 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2017, 05:10:43 PM

Aye, them snooty f**kers like Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, Darren Sweetnam and Tadhg Furlong. Toffee nose gits the lot of them.

They're players not media.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on December 01, 2017, 05:56:57 PM

Laois beating Armagh,giving them a replay and then beating them again must surely be a contender...

Only in your head.

Two Hands FFS

Derval O'Rourke was a total farce in that last show. Wasn't much better in the 90's one

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 01, 2017, 03:42:59 PM

Grand slam? Beating 5 other teams in a non-world event?? Get a grip. Harrington was the correct choice.f**king egg chasers is right. They beat 3/4 of a New Zealand team last year in a FRIENDLY and the country was in meltdown. They get far too much hype whereas Harrington didn't get enough
In Euro 88, Holland had five games in a non-world event, didn't even win them all and still were champions. Still, I'm sure they had a better sporting achievement that year too.

But football is a global sport, it survives by itself due to its global appeal.

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.

LooseCannon

Quote from: laoislad on December 01, 2017, 05:56:57 PM

Us relegating ye was surely better, not that either of us have much to shout about.

BennyCake

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on December 01, 2017, 08:41:07 PM
Derval O'Rourke was a total farce in that last show. Wasn't much better in the 90's one

That O'Gara bollix was mindnumbingly boring the week before.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 08:53:33 PM

Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of football's superpowers in the dying minutes of a group game at a World Cup may seem trivial but when you view it in its context it's a whole lot more than winning an annual 6 team tournament in a sport where only about 8 countries take semi-seriously.

If truth be told the Irish team are one massive set of over-hyped, under achieving fun boys. They've never been past the last 8 in the World Cup in a sport only 8 teams take seriously. They're the only one of the 8 sides that take it seriously that have never been in the last 4 of a World Cup.

It's popularity in this country is more to do with its social outing culture and the increased chance of success given the small competition pool, there's a disproportionate amount of women at rugby matches compared to other sports. Most lads who attend rugby matches these days have never played an organised game of rugby in their life, that's an odd association with the game.
Just to be clear, I have virtually no interest in rugby but I can appreciate the skill in the game. I don't care why it's popular but it is. If people love it as a spectator sport and aren't involved in the game at any level then so be it.

Ireland have competed in the five/six nations for a long time. It's a tough competition as I suspect that it contains six of the top ten teams in the World in it. Winning the grand slam in it is a great achievement. If it wasn't it would have been done more recently than it was.

I don't see how Keane's goal can be considered anywhere close to it. We didn't see Quinn's equaliser against Holland in 1990s contest and it seems to be pretty much the same achievement. Does Ireland's draw with Russia in '88 gain much attention apart from the fantastic goal? I don't think so because it was a draw, in a group game which ultimately achieved nothing.

BennyCake

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 01, 2017, 08:53:33 PM

Any big soccer occasion (Italia 90, Euro 88, Keanes goal 02 etc) far outweighs any rugby moment for me. Soccer is played more, on the street, schools etc. As you say, most have no association with rugby yet seem to be obsessed with it. Odd association indeed.

Its nearly like people attend big rugby games because they're being told it's the "thing" to do, like going to a Bouncy Knowles or Ned Sheehan concert, or whoever head case belts out annoying noise these days.

Esmarelda

Is boxing big? Are many people involved in it relative to soccer or G.A.A? Should that reduce the significance of Michael Carruth's gold medal?

Again, I don't see why the reason a sport is so popular should take away from the achievement.