We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Feck all stars when there's All Ireland medals to be dished out. Much more important  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2011, 05:30:07 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 19, 2011, 05:19:12 PM
Graham Geraghty has to get one.

Everytime he touched the ball this year he got a goal.

Cian Ward - every time he touched the ball this year he went for a goal.

Armaghgael

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM
We don't really but as we head towards August who would be in contention, my own team with not much thought gone into it....

1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
2. Shane Enright (Kerry)
3. Rory O'Carroll (Dublin)
4. Hugh McGrillen (Kildare)
5. Aaron Kernan (Armagh)
6. Aidan Flynn (Wexford)
7. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. John Doyle (Kildare)
9. Brendan Murphy (Carlow)
10. Alan Brogan (Dublin)
11. Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)
12. Colm McFadden (Donegal)
13. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Michael Murphy (Donegal)15. Kieran Donaghy (Kerry)

POTY

Alan Brogan

Hasnt been great at all in the championship so doesnt one i feel. And i think he is one of the most overrated footballers in country
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

imtommygunn

Jamie Clarke is superb. I don't think I've seen a player with the ability to score goals like he has. If Armagh are to beat Tyrone I'd say it'll only be if he hits a few which is not outside the realms of possibility.

screenexile

Quote from: Armaghgael on July 19, 2011, 08:47:42 PM
We don't really but as we head towards August who would be in contention, my own team with not much thought gone into it....

2. Shane Enright (Kerry)
5. Aaron Kernan (Armagh)
6. Aidan Flynn (Wexford)
7. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. John Doyle (Kildare)
10. Alan Brogan (Dublin)
13. Colm Cooper (Kerry)

POTY

Alan Brogan

Hasnt been great at all in the championship so doesnt one i feel. And i think he is one of the most overrated footballers in country

No he's not!

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on July 20, 2011, 12:24:06 AM
Quote from: Armaghgael on July 19, 2011, 08:47:42 PM

2. Shane Enright (Kerry)
5. Aaron Kernan (Armagh)
6. Aidan Flynn (Wexford)
7. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. John Doyle (Kildare)
10. Alan Brogan (Dublin)
13. Colm Cooper (Kerry)

POTY

Alan Brogan

No he's not!

Definitely doesn't deserve to be in the reckoning for an All Star though, based on performances so far.  As mentioned, Jamie Clarke would be a cert at this stage.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

PAULD123

We all know that until it gets to the 4th round/quarter final stage that the pundits don't even think about who deserves an all star. Even basing it on performances so far means nothing. Yeah Jamie Clarke has done well in two games but very poorly in another. Coulter destroyed Leitrim and set up two goals against Antrim but if we lose to Cork then he has no chance.

It's far too early to talk about this, there is far too much still to happen. Incidentally in my opinion there is not a single player who is no longer in the championship (i.e. county already out) that deserves an All-star this year. And that includes a consideration of what anyone might have done in the league as well as the championship so far. And as for Cian Ward He didn't play in first game against Kildare. Scored nothing from play against Galway, and only two from play against Kildare second time. Having one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

Dinny Breen

QuoteHaving one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

It would if it was an All-Ireland final.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 02:25:04 PM
QuoteHaving one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

It would if it was an All-Ireland final.

You would be POTY if it was an AIF.
MWWSI 2017

AFS

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 20, 2011, 02:12:59 PM
We all know that until it gets to the 4th round/quarter final stage that the pundits don't even think about who deserves an all star. Even basing it on performances so far means nothing. Yeah Jamie Clarke has done well in two games but very poorly in another. Coulter destroyed Leitrim and set up two goals against Antrim but if we lose to Cork then he has no chance.

It's far too early to talk about this, there is far too much still to happen. Incidentally in my opinion there is not a single player who is no longer in the championship (i.e. county already out) that deserves an All-star this year. And that includes a consideration of what anyone might have done in the league as well as the championship so far. And as for Cian Ward He didn't play in first game against Kildare. Scored nothing from play against Galway, and only two from play against Kildare second time. Having one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

Three games actually.

AbbeySider

Trying to pick an All-Star team is a bit premature.

Why not pick 3 or 4 players from each county left in the championship that might be in with a chance?

I see someone has selected 4 Kerry players and 3 Dublin players on a team with a quarter final yet to play?
If they lose their quarter finals those selections will be rubbished, so whats the point? 

blanketattack

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 20, 2011, 02:40:37 PM

Why not pick 3 or 4 players from each county left in the championship that might be in with a chance?

I see someone has selected 4 Kerry players and 3 Dublin players on a team with a quarter final yet to play?
If they lose their quarter finals those selections will be rubbished, so whats the point?

Yeah, the All-Stars are picked in October. There's no point speculating on them, just wait until they're announced. Same with matches, no point speculating on how the match will go, just wait until it's over and then you'll know.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI see someone has selected 4 Kerry players and 3 Dublin players on a team with a quarter final yet to play?

Clucko and Gooch don't need to play anymore games.
#newbridgeornowhere

AbbeySider

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2011, 02:49:11 PM
QuoteI see someone has selected 4 Kerry players and 3 Dublin players on a team with a quarter final yet to play?

Clucko and Gooch don't need to play anymore games.

What planet are you on?
He could let in 4 goals in his next game. And Gooch could break his leg.

Quote from: blanketattack on July 20, 2011, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 20, 2011, 02:40:37 PM

Yeah, the All-Stars are picked in October. There's no point speculating on them, just wait until they're announced. Same with matches, no point speculating on how the match will go, just wait until it's over and then you'll know.

Yeah, and Dublin could win the All Ireland.

I dont mind speculation but trying to narrow it down to 15 at this stage is premature.