Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HURLING1

Certainly wasn't a thuggish game. Camross a superior outfit.
Wishing Ross a speedy recovery and also Mossy Burke who received a nasty blow to the head and had to be substituted.

LOVEGAA

Quote from: HURLING1 on October 07, 2018, 11:47:24 PM
Certainly wasn't a thuggish game. Camross a superior outfit.
Wishing Ross a speedy recovery and also Mossy Burke who received a nasty blow to the head and had to be substituted.

not a thuggish game. Just thuggish act.
not desputing Camross win in the slighest

The Rover

Quote from: HURLING1 on October 07, 2018, 11:33:15 PM
Was at the match.  If anything it was a very subdued affair.  Was right in front of the incident and was handbags at best but obviously Ross got a very unwarranted belt. Camross started sluggishly but were worthy winners playing against the breeze in the second half.
Refereeing standard was very low and no real flow to the game.
agree with most of what you say but the reality of the situation is, Camross should have been down to 14 players, Ross king was a huge loss to R/E and in reality R/e were 3 points up before Ross king was assaulted and after his removal from the field Camross took control of the game and won under a cloud.no doubt Camross will celebrate the win with little or no regard for the outcome of the thuggery inflicted on Ross King. the lack of action from the referee will be protected by Laois GAA. the incident clearly had a vital say in the outcome of the game and once again in Laois  very wrong actions get the reward.

Don Draper

Was at the match.  If anything it was a very subdued affair.  Was right in front of the incident and was handbags at best but obviously Ross got a very unwarranted belt. Camross started sluggishly but were worthy winners playing against the breeze in the second half.
Would you away and shite with yourself. Handbags me hole.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on October 07, 2018, 08:13:03 PM
I agree Keyser.

I've no problem with CB, Mountrath, Trumera; well done to the young lads. Not many Minor A medallists in any of those clubs. I don't want this discussion to detract from their win; they were the better team and some of the performances were excellent.

But The Harps have brought a team from U6 to U17 and were denied by an amalgamated team, manufactured out of convenience. Yes, the reasons are valid and can be logically defended but it doesn't make it 100% right. [/b]

Again, I'm not criticising the individual clubs but it's a bitter pill to swallow for those young men who were the best U17 'club' in Laois but have nothing to show for it.

This is it exactly. Fewer clubs will bother trying to standalone. Which is fewer clubs bothering their arse to work hard at juvenile level, we can't afford this. As far as I can see, The Harps have done everything right with this group. They don't deserve to lose a showpiece final to a thrown together combo.
The next time The Harps aren't capable of competing at 'A' Level on their own, this makes it easier for them to decide to jump in with someone.

In the interest of bias, I can also remember The Harps/Clough Ballacolla hurling together one year in the Minor or U21 B!!!!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Sorry but that's bull.
There was an opportunity to take out RE's leading light and Camross took it. It was dirty at best; malicious at worst.
Handbags it was not.

Leixlad

A shallow victory for Camross - though i doubt they will see it that way. An absolute disgrace what happened to Ross. And a yellow card given - comical. Wouldn't let that reff do another game here. I hope there is some reprimand for that player who carried out that assault - one of the worst strokes iv seen on a hurling pitch in a long long time. As someone said a right hard man it takes to do something like that, he should be ashamed of himself.

The incident was actually the turning point of the game. R/e were on top hurling into the breeze, game changed when Roddy went off - jesus still cant believe Camross player only got a yellow card. From that point on Camross were well on top - only some very questionable refereeing in the second half kept R/e in the game - perhaps realizing his mistake in the first half. And some poor Camross shooting. Ciaran Collier was probably the standout player for me. Hope Eddie Brennan can get him back on board. 

With regards to Leinster - I would always shout for our county champions as neutral but i wont be going to support Camross this year. I dont give them any hope anyway.

Best wished to Roddy for a speedy recovery and hope the damage isnt too bad. A nicer fella you couldn't meet i was disgusted for him - he gives his all for  Laois everyday he playes - I hope it wont put him off as he is certainly one of our big players and leaders.

Intermediate final was so and so - it was always going to be a dogfight scenario and Portlaoise just dogged it out best. Good to see them back senior. Cian Taylor was the main difference up front, ball was sticking to him inside and he was setting up enough chances that Portlaoise would get over the line. Healy just a phenomenal beast. Would be great to see him back with Laois next year. (in both codes - wishful thinking i fear though!!)

Behindthefence

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 08, 2018, 07:37:52 AM
Quote from: merman on October 07, 2018, 08:13:03 PM

This is it exactly. Fewer clubs will bother trying to standalone. Which is fewer clubs bothering their arse to work hard at juvenile level, we can't afford this. As far as I can see, The Harps have done everything right with this group. They don't deserve to lose a showpiece final to a thrown together combo.
The next time The Harps aren't capable of competing at 'A' Level on their own, this makes it easier for them to decide to jump in with someone.

In the interest of bias, I can also remember The Harps/Clough Ballacolla hurling together one year in the Minor or U21 B!!!!!

For clarity Keyser this combo was not thrown together because they couldn't compete at B, without this combo the club's in question would not have been able to field teams. There was only 20 players on the panel combined. Last year Ballacolla won the B with a panel of just 17. What is the alternative if a club hasn't simply got the numbers to fulfil a team in one particular year???

Jd

Maybe then  teams should just amalgamate  every year and if they have a particularly  strong number on certain  years pit in an A and a  B team.  So then you pick your club to join up with and your stuck with them for better or worse for a minimum  period of say 10 years
As regards the senior hurling  I wasn't  in cos I was  working  but it's sad that once  again we're  back discussing  an act of thuggery.  I talked to around 10 different  people who were at the match  and they were consistent  in saying that it was a blatant  dirty act and that the ref or linesman couldn't have missed it.  Why does this be allowed.  On another thread here people are saying a fella should be able to play the county final after being sent off for what was admittedly a harmless enough punch but now we have a young man in hospital  with serious injuries after being struck  repeatedly  with a hurl.  And the scum  that did it got to play  on!!!! Beggars belief! Time to come down hard on that stuff.  If a video  is there the man should be banned  for life and prosecuted  for assault  too

Zooming around

Quote from: Jd on October 08, 2018, 10:24:17 AM
Maybe then  teams should just amalgamate  every year and if they have a particularly  strong number on certain  years pit in an A and a  B team.  So then you pick your club to join up with and your stuck with them for better or worse for a minimum  period of say 10 years
As regards the senior hurling  I wasn't  in cos I was  working  but it's sad that once  again we're  back discussing  an act of thuggery.  I talked to around 10 different  people who were at the match  and they were consistent  in saying that it was a blatant  dirty act and that the ref or linesman couldn't have missed it.  Why does this be allowed.  On another thread here people are saying a fella should be able to play the county final after being sent off for what was admittedly a harmless enough punch but now we have a young man in hospital  with serious injuries after being struck  repeatedly  with a hurl.  And the scum  that did it got to play  on!!!! Beggars belief! Time to come down hard on that stuff.  If a video  is there the man should be banned  for life and prosecuted  for assault  too

Unfortunately I think that can't now happen because he got a yellow card.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Zooming around on October 08, 2018, 12:58:36 PM

If the ref had done nothing, it's possible that the incident could be looked at again. However, with a yellow that's it.  Serious consideration has to be given to an outside ref as the local refs are too close to the teams as there is such a small pool to pick from. They referee them in challenges all the time.  I thought that John O'Brien was a breath of fresh air when he came here first.  However, he cannot be proud of the events he presided over yesterday. It was either a red or nothing. All he had to do was to look at Roddy's face and know this was serious. Nevertheless, it's easy to blame one man when the organisation is responsible to a greater extent. At a higher level, the GAA has a duty of care to all players. Yesterday we as an organisation fell well short. 

clonadmad

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 08, 2018, 01:54:39 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on October 08, 2018, 12:58:36 PM

If the ref had done nothing, it's possible that the incident could be looked at again. However, with a yellow that's it.  Serious consideration has to be given to an outside ref as the local refs are too close to the teams as there is such a small pool to pick from. They referee them in challenges all the time.  I thought that John O'Brien was a breath of fresh air when he came here first.  However, he cannot be proud of the events he presided over yesterday. It was either a red or nothing. All he had to do was to look at Roddy's face and know this was serious. Nevertheless, it's easy to blame one man when the organisation is responsible to a greater extent. At a higher level, the GAA has a duty of care to all players. Yesterday we as an organisation fell well short.

His linesman told him it was a straight red and he disregarded his advice

Within milliseconds of King getting done,there were 2 Camross wild pulls which both warranted yellows at the very least.

Also there was a legitimate RE 65 waved wide in the first half which had came off the keepers legs,I don't know what the umpire on the stand side was looking at.

Purely neutral observations

The Rover

Hurling in Laois was the big looser Yesterday.
Camross have been at this for years taking players out by whatever means they see fit and referees and county board turn a blind eye to this clubs thuggery year after year no wonder hurling is in decline in this county. any young person or parents looking on at that act yesterday would want to be mad to have ambitions to excell at the game of hurling.
the count board and the referee will hide behind the fact that a yellow card was issued and in truth neither will give one concern about player welfare. shame on Laois gaa for letting Camross club continue to get away with this year after year and shame on camross for encouraging the take him out at all cost.
why should Camross change when the C/B let them and no other club away with it they reap the rewards.

Home Boys Home

If ref gave the yellow card for one of those two wild pulls Clonadmad referred to, and didn't see the Ross getting done just before, maybe then it could be looked at by CB ? Pretty sure the second player pulling wild also head butted John Purcell at start of first half.

On the minor, Clough/Ballacolla Mountrath Tumera is very much a random throwing together. Fairly sure these Mountrath and Trumera lads hurled with Camross up along the grades until last year when they switched over to Clough Ballacolla.  I reckon they the had 15 payers who are on County U17, U16 and U15 squads. Hard for a club team to compete with that strength all over the field. Both C/B and Mountrath had their own u15 teams this year, so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Only 3 independent clubs in this years minor A championship is a bit worrying.

Moregroundhurling

Had to set up an account just to give my two cents worth on the county final. The referee is question, who we all thought was the savior of refereeing in Laois hurling was well and truly found out. After what happened in the semi final between Camross and Borris I dont know how he was let back into O Moore Park. Striking off the ball with the hurl is a red, with this lad you can get two or three good pulls in, aswel as the usual fisticuffs and handbags knowing a red card wont appear.
Camross should have been down to 13 men after 25 minutes and the players in question taking 2/3 game bans into next years championship. The player in question I believe was taken off soon after much to the disappointment of every Rathdowney/ Errill and neutral fan in O Moore Park.

Get Well Ross king