County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Good luck Anthony and welcome on board.
We should be getting better team organisation and defending anyway.
Back room team vital whoever it will be.
A bit ironic that O'Rourke wasnth ratified till he"finalised his backroom " while AC is ratified as a lone wolf!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 09, 2018, 07:30:50 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 07:18:27 PM
Roscommon Clubs ratify Anthony Cunningham as the new Roscommon GAA Manager tonight.

Bejaysus.

I'll say this much. He'll get them in serious shape and he has experience at the very top level. Albeit not in football although I know he was successful with Garrycastle. An interesting one no doubt.

Successful with St Brigids also, led the club to their first ever Connacht Club title.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

The world's gone mad. It's not as if he's free of charge either

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:18:50 PM
Inches away from appointing someone living in Armagh and working in Belfast was more mad and would have cost more.

Manning18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:26:02 PM
Inches away from appointing someone living in Armagh and working in Belfast was more mad and would have cost more.

At least he had some positive traits going for him and could be a promising coach. Literally struggling to think of any positives with this one. Huge man management concerns, no obvious tactical nous, questionable motivation after the job he wanted and was in line for was given to a former understudy, and all for a pricely fee.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:34:49 PM

At least he had some positive traits going for him and could be a promising coach. Literally struggling to think of any positives with this one. Huge man management concerns, no obvious tactical nous, questionable motivation after the job he wanted and was in line for was given to a former understudy, and all for a pricely fee.

As it was pointed out to you on the Connacht club thread he wouldn't have achieved what he has done in management if he was as bad as you suggest. O'Rourke in comparison had a poor management CV, name some of these positive traits that was going for him?

Manning18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:39:36 PM

As it was pointed out to you on the Connacht club thread he wouldn't have achieved what he has done in management if he was as bad as you suggest. O'Rourke in comparison had a poor management CV, name some of these positive traits that was going for him?

The only thing that happened in that thread was my question about why the Dublin CB opted against him when everything was so overwhelmingly in his favour was ignored. What exactly has he achieved? The game is littered with managers who have won provincial club titles and none of them are getting D1 jobs. Were Brigets a tactical masterclass back then or simply a group of talented footballers who won a provincial? I'll admit to not knowing much about Garrycastle bar that it was yet another team he eventually fell out with. Wasted one of the most talented teams (and a couple of careers) in recent memory in Galway, with one final player led push in 2015 that was more in spite of him than anything else and lasted for 2 games.

AOR is a former All Star in this particular sport for one and is known as an innovator. Not that he'd be the best choice either.

I'm from Galway, and don't exactly enjoy tarnishing an ex all Ireland winner for us given we've had so few. I even kind of wish him well in this. The decision is just moronic though

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

The only thing that happened in that thread was my question about why the Dublin CB opted against him when everything was so overwhelmingly in his favour was ignored. What exactly has he achieved? The game is littered with managers who have won provincial club titles and none of them are getting D1 jobs. Were Brigets a tactical masterclass back then or simply a group of talented footballers who won a provincial? I'll admit to not knowing much about Garrycastle bar that it was yet another team he eventually fell out with. Wasted one of the most talented teams (and a couple of careers) in recent memory in Galway, with one final player led push in 2015 that was more in spite of him than anything else and lasted for 2 games.

AOR is a former All Star in this particular sport for one and is known as an innovator. Not that he'd be the best choice either.

I'm from Galway, and don't exactly enjoy tarnishing an ex all Ireland winner for us given we've had so few. I even kind of wish him well in this. The decision is just moronic though

You could have fooled me. So in other words you won't be giving Cunningham any praise if Roscommon have any success in the next few years?

Syferus

Manning18 doubling down despite not being aware that Cunningham had managed teams to AI finals and Connacht and Leinster titles in football a couple days ago. To quote him - 'bizarre'.

Very good appointment. Much better than O'Rourke whose record thus far is nearly as laced with failure as his attempt to cobble together a background team was.

Manning18

How on earth was I not aware? I know AC and his club better than you can imagine and there was more than a few scoffs round about the time he started taking football jobs with his knowledge of it. He proved them wrong in a way I suppose but they were hardly D1 inter county.

Are you actually going to take issue with any points I made or just ignore anything you cant just dismiss like a cranky fool?

Manning18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 09:10:06 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

You could have fooled me. So in other words you won't be giving Cunningham any praise if Roscommon have any success in the next few years?

He grabs a Connacht title like McStay then more power to him. He'll have earned every penny

GalwayBayBoy

Doesn't he live in Kiltoom?

Interesting that he has dabbled in the football. He's a St Thomas' man. No football down there. I'd say they'd burst any stray footballs.

Blowitupref

Good appointment for Roscommon when you consider who was nearly appointed or linked, basically all Div 3 level managers and i think former player David Casey was probably too much of a rookie for such a job yet. It helps that this manager lives in Roscommon and i believe the panel will be training in Kiltoom a walking distance for him.

How Roscommon do next year will likely depend on the strength of their panel as a small county like them can't afford to be missing 5 or 6 good players from their team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 24, 2018, 09:36:10 AM
Subject to approval from the Hatch.

In light of the tardiness of Dublin County Board to appoint hurling manager, the Roscommon County Board will appoint Anthony Cunningham as manager.

This can been seen as a small recompense to Brigids after Paddy Neilan giving Clann the County Final.

Frankie Dolan and Cake will join as selectors. Kevin can steer in the background without listening to supporters' crap.

In the event of a general election, cake will stand aside to join Eugene Murphy on Fianna Fáil ticket.

The Hatch will nominate a replacement selector if required.

/Jim.

Ye were given two weeks notice. Just pray now I was only half right.  Actually 2/3 right :-)

/Jim.