Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 10:22:25 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2024, 10:04:24 AMI personally think it's between Derry/Donegal/Armagh for Ulster.
Derry will be favourites, but Donegal could beat them in the first round as that's what they'll have been preparing for since McGuinnes came back. A lot will depend on injuries having cleared up.
If Donegal are without McBrearty and McHugh, they will struggle against the Derry defence I feel.
But Derry could be withouth McKinless and Doherty who both left the field injured yesterday which might even things up.

Armagh have the easy side of the draw and should get to a final. A repeat of the Div2 final would mean a close game I feel.
A repeat of last years Ulster final would not be as close. Derry have kicked on and if Armagh couldn't beat us last year in the circumstances, I can't see them doing it this year. And I think if Armagh had to face penalties again, they might just leave the pitch ;)
I could be wrong though, Armagh have protected players throughout the league and got promotion, so perhaps I'm underestimating them.
Armagh for Sam.

If its gonna be penalties we have a secret weapon this year in that we have a goalkeeper in nets now ;) would take a miracle to run Derry that close going by the weekend.

We'll last as least as long on penalties as Dublin!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

p3427977

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2024, 09:55:27 AMRory Beggan back for Monaghan according to reports. That's a big boost. I know these games are normally close affairs, regardless of what level either team is performing at. Cavan have won the last 2 encounters in championship but I just cannot see us doing it this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavan%E2%80%93Monaghan_Gaelic_football_rivalry

I assumed this was an April Fools

yellowcard

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 02, 2024, 10:18:00 AMJim will definitely have something up his sleeve for Derry.

Will depend on the injuries clearing up though as said previously.

He can have whatever he wants up his sleeve but the reality is that there is no eventuality that the best teams are not already prepared for or equipped to deal with now.

He stole a march on opponents in 2011/12 by covering his sides deficiencies with revolutionary tactics. But it does go to show how he has got into opponents heads that they still think he will pull some kind of rabbit out of the hat.

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on April 02, 2024, 11:40:07 AM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 02, 2024, 10:18:00 AMJim will definitely have something up his sleeve for Derry.

Will depend on the injuries clearing up though as said previously.

He can have whatever he wants up his sleeve but the reality is that there is no eventuality that the best teams are not already prepared for or equipped to deal with now.

He stole a march on opponents in 2011/12 by covering his sides deficiencies with revolutionary tactics. But it does go to show how he has got into opponents heads that they still think he will pull some kind of rabbit out of the hat.

I just think Derry have players currently way ahead of Donegal, no matter what Jim has up his sleeve. I cant see Armagh beating them either unless Derry really take their foot of the pedal. That might seem like a good idea too if they are aiming from Sam, but that is not how Mickey Harte operates. He wants to win everything and I dont think he will show Armagh any mercy should they meet in the final.

SouthOfThe Bann

If you were comparing Derrys squad with Donegals 2 and a half years ago you wouldnt be saying Derry had the better players and there is now way it could have been forecasted that Derry wiuld imrpove so much.

But it just goes to show what can be achieved when you have belief and a top class manager.

It may come too soon for Donegal in 3 weeks time but there is no doubting that they will be a force to be reckoned with maybe not this year but in the coming years.

Its not long ago that people were saying they were the 2nd best team in  the country. Lack of a top class manager prevented them from living up to that hype.

They've won the division 2 league this year; with 5 or 6 of their starting team not available if they can get all of those back there is no reason why they cant get to a semi final this year and or rattle Derry.

SouthOfThe Bann

If you were comparing Derrys squad with Donegals 2 and a half years ago you wouldnt be saying Derry had the better players and there is no way it could have been forecasted that Derry would improve so much.

But it just goes to show what can be achieved when you have belief and a top class manager.

It may come too soon for Donegal in 3 weeks time but there is no doubting that they will be a force to be reckoned with maybe not this year but in the coming years.

Its not long ago that people were saying they were the 2nd best team in  the country. Lack of a top class manager prevented them from living up to that hype.

They've won the division 2 league this year; with 5 or 6 of their starting team not available if they can get all of those back there is no reason why they cant get to a semi final this year and or rattle Derry.

seafoid

Ulster is the hardest province to win and the most dangerous in terms of potential injuries , as a result.

tonto1888

Derry will win ulster and they will win it with a bit to spare

Mario

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 02, 2024, 01:30:26 PMDerry will win ulster and they will win it with a bit to spare
There won't be a kick of a ball in any game between Donegal, Armagh and Derry. Look at the last 2 ulster finals both went to ET. Can maybe say the same about Tyrone depending on what Tyrone shows up.

Eire90

quarter finals and semi finals look potentially harder games for derry than the final.

Blowitupref

Derry's last defeat in the Ulster Championship was July 2021 0-15 to 0-16 against Donegal, a match whereby the ref blew for full time as Derry retained possession instead of taking on a shot on goal. Derry hadn't won a Ulster championship match at the time since 2015 a one point win against Down.

Since then wins against

Tyrone by 11
Monaghan by 4
Donegal by 2 (AET)
Fermanagh by 12
Monaghan by 8
Armagh on penalties

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tonto1888

Quote from: Mario on April 02, 2024, 01:34:13 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 02, 2024, 01:30:26 PMDerry will win ulster and they will win it with a bit to spare
There won't be a kick of a ball in any game between Donegal, Armagh and Derry. Look at the last 2 ulster finals both went to ET. Can maybe say the same about Tyrone depending on what Tyrone shows up.

Having watched Armagh all year and from I've seen if Derry, we won't bother you too much. Jim may have something up his sleeve I suppose but you won't have any bother with Tyrone/monaghan/cavan either. This is just based on what I've seen this year to date mind you

thebigfullforward

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 02, 2024, 04:43:53 PM
Quote from: Mario on April 02, 2024, 01:34:13 PM

Having watched Armagh all year and from I've seen if Derry, we won't bother you too much. Jim may have something up his sleeve I suppose but you won't have any bother with Tyrone/monaghan/cavan either. This is just based on what I've seen this year to date mind you
Wouldn't say Armagh dont have a chance. Have played good football all year with the exception of 2 games. Depends on whether McGeeney pulls the hanbrake or not. Think Armagh are the only team in Ulster that will be capable of keeping up with Derry in terms of athleticism. Footballing ability is a different story, again it depends on what football McGeeney lets them play

STREET FIGHTER

Unbelievably hard to call the Ulster winner in recent times....

Derry with a target on their back right now but as we've all seen Armagh, Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone all well capable...

A kick of a ball in it!

Armagh18

Don't know why but I've a funny feeling Monaghan could catch Derry if they meet. Fair chance Monaghan don't make it that far and of course Tyrone will always have a say in things. Looking forward to it anyway!