Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

If you don't think that Jim Bob what's the issue with schools?
Get the kids back into the classroom and forget about the 1 metre rule whilst they are in school
Imagine everyone who had flu symptoms got tested. We would have thousands for about 4 months of the year. Madness

trailer

If children aren't back full time in September then teachers need to be back full time teaching the children remotely, marking homework, etc. A complete uniform approach across the board from every school and every teacher. Not what we witnessed in March, April, May and June were many schools simply shut and took an extended break. Teachers, Schools and Dept of Ed must pull their weight.

Smurfy123

100% right trailer. Teachers need to be accountable for what they do from August on. Full school hours. In school as normal none of the crap we got this 4 months sending out the odd bit of work to keep the parents happy. If I go to the pub hardstation I expect nobody to come within 1 metre of me. Will that happen? What about the staff who have to go into work in the hospitality sector? They have to go. What about all the health care workers and shop workers? Just get on with it hardstation

During flu season, the only people who get tested for the flu are those who are sick enough to seek help from a doctor.

If we used the same strategy for covid, would we still have a pandemic? Big question needs answered

Smurfy123

Children should be i school. That's where they need to be
Because see if they were not in school they would be outside with friends
The amount of children I see outside and no social distancing is crazy
Get the kids back
Teachers have not been in school this 4 months
If you think that you are kidding yourself

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2020, 12:33:09 PM
If children aren't back full time in September then teachers need to be back full time teaching the children remotely, marking homework, etc. A complete uniform approach across the board from every school and every teacher. Not what we witnessed in March, April, May and June were many schools simply shut and took an extended break. Teachers, Schools and Dept of Ed must pull their weight.

I actually agree with the part in bold, 100%. The problem earlier in the year is that the education authority/minister in charge hadn't a clue how to do it so by default the schools had to devise their own ways. Some schools did it better than others, some teachers were more productive than others and some did fook all. However, some parents also did fook all in terms of engaging with the schools and were happy enough to let their kids go into holiday mode. The finger of blame can't point entirely at teachers.

I have some issue with the point you make about teachers all being back full time teaching remotely though. For a lot people out there they simply cannot work full time if their own kids are not in school. The same will apply to teachers who have children of school age. It would be unreasonable to expect a teacher to work full time if they have kids at home due to lock down whilst at the same time saying its understandable that a retail worker can't go to work for the same reasons. However, this should all be covered by the uniform approach across the board you mention.
The uniform approach would have to be on a teacher by teacher basis and what their personal circumstances are. For example, a teacher who is shielding should not be in school at all, but if they have no school age children it could be reasonable to expect them to work the full working week remotely. But for a teacher who has young children who cannot attend school due to lock down, that teacher should not be expected to have to work in a full time capacity as they have childcare and homeschooling responsibilities also. Then there is also the scenario of teachers who are carers, teachers who travel long distances to work, support staff (classroom assistants, cleaners, kitchen staff, secretaries....the list goes on).
The uniform approach will have to cover all those scenarios and the extended staff of a school.

tbrick18

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 30, 2020, 01:25:57 PM
Children should be i school. That's where they need to be
Because see if they were not in school they would be outside with friends
The amount of children I see outside and no social distancing is crazy
Get the kids back
Teachers have not been in school this 4 months
If you think that you are kidding yourself

that is neither the fault of the school, teachers or the children.
Parents allow their children to do that. They need to take social responsibility for their own children.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 30, 2020, 01:27:41 PM

I actually agree with the part in bold, 100%. The problem earlier in the year is that the education authority/minister in charge hadn't a clue how to do it so by default the schools had to devise their own ways. Some schools did it better than others, some teachers were more productive than others and some did fook all. However, some parents also did fook all in terms of engaging with the schools and were happy enough to let their kids go into holiday mode. The finger of blame can't point entirely at teachers.

I have some issue with the point you make about teachers all being back full time teaching remotely though. For a lot people out there they simply cannot work full time if their own kids are not in school. The same will apply to teachers who have children of school age. It would be unreasonable to expect a teacher to work full time if they have kids at home due to lock down whilst at the same time saying its understandable that a retail worker can't go to work for the same reasons. However, this should all be covered by the uniform approach across the board you mention.
The uniform approach would have to be on a teacher by teacher basis and what their personal circumstances are. For example, a teacher who is shielding should not be in school at all, but if they have no school age children it could be reasonable to expect them to work the full working week remotely. But for a teacher who has young children who cannot attend school due to lock down, that teacher should not be expected to have to work in a full time capacity as they have childcare and homeschooling responsibilities also. Then there is also the scenario of teachers who are carers, teachers who travel long distances to work, support staff (classroom assistants, cleaners, kitchen staff, secretaries....the list goes on).
The uniform approach will have to cover all those scenarios and the extended staff of a school.

It is not unreasonable. Creches have reopened. Make arrangements. Organise childcare just like the rest of the population have to. Take some responsibility.

This just sums up the attitude of the vast majority of teachers. Unwilling and uncompromising.

trailer

Teachers are in for a shock. Public fast losing respect for them.

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2020, 03:45:05 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 30, 2020, 01:27:41 PM

It is not unreasonable. Creches have reopened. Make arrangements. Organise childcare just like the rest of the population have to. Take some responsibility.

This just sums up the attitude of the vast majority of teachers. Unwilling and uncompromising.

Then you can use the same argument for any person doing any job. If a retail worker has kids, and the schools are closed, then the same retail worker should get their kids into a creche and get out to work. If they don't do that then they are unwilling or uncompromising.
Though who will home-school the kids when they are in a creche?
And if schools are closed, would you expect creche's to be opened? I'd imagine closed schools would also mean closed childcare facilities. What should the teachers do then? Or indeed any worker in any job?

Milltown Row2

That's the money spent! Didn't take long!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2020, 04:02:41 PM

The public don't have any respect for teachers so there is nothing to lose
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

screenexile

You've not been too involved in the home schooling then!!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 30, 2020, 07:03:40 PM

You've not been too involved in the home schooling then!!!
FG is a teacher.

STREET FIGHTER

See previous posts....

Is the problem individual rather than 'industry' wide?

Some people need to look at the schools their kids attend.....rather than beating up the teaching profession....

As a responsible parent I think I'll try and keep the teaching up during the summer (admittedly poor in comparison to their actual teachers and fairly testing at times)

Ah well.....

delgany

In my experience, the vast majority of schools coped and delivered effective learning opportunities for pupils .
Post - primaries would be in a better position in terms of IT to deliver on line live lessons , as they are far better resourced.
Primary schools wouldnt have the IT infrastructure or finance to have expertise in IT. Education dept have nt refreshed the equipment in 6/7 years - it's knackered.
Please remember , we haven't been in the situation before.
Schools should be sending out questionnaires seeking ways to improve the service provided to the pupils and in supporting parents . If the arent doing that , then they deserve to be rebuked.
Some schools will need to improve , some will need to add consistency across the school , others will be able to continue with the service they have provided for August and September.