26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

yellowcard

Latest poll has SF in the lead which is a major surprise but just shows the disillusionment with the 2 main parties. How this plays out in terms of the formation of the next government is anyone's guess. If FF/FG continue to rule out SF in government it could be a rainbow coalition or another C & S arrangement.

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on February 03, 2020, 09:41:13 PM
Latest poll has SF in the lead which is a major surprise but just shows the disillusionment with the 2 main parties. How this plays out in terms of the formation of the next government is anyone's guess. If FF/FG continue to rule out SF in government it could be a rainbow coalition or another C & S arrangement.

It might force tweddle dumb and tweddle dee to amalgamate which would be a good thing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on February 03, 2020, 09:55:53 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 03, 2020, 09:41:13 PM

It might force tweddle dumb and tweddle dee to amalgamate which would be a good thing.

It's certainly not out of the question if the polls translate into election results and might provide a route to forming a stable coalition. However there would still be a major rump of discontentment among the population were that to actually materialise.

Ambrose

Haven't FFG already amalgamated?
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Itchy

Quote from: Ambrose on February 03, 2020, 10:19:00 PM

Fair ppint

Main Street

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 03, 2020, 04:47:03 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 02, 2020, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 02, 2020, 03:40:34 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 02, 2020, 12:27:07 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2020, 11:35:16 PM
FF and FG are a rare bunch....spent the last few days talking about who is the most anti Sinn Fein, peculiar election strategy esp since they are polling at such a large chunk of 1st preference votes youd think they'd be looking for their transfers.

Anyway I kind of have my own ideas on it but do any of our southern voters care to share what they think is the difference between FF and FG and why they'd vote for one over the other?

There is no difference really, martin is a slightly bigger dick than Leo in my mind. Policies are pretty much the same.

Yeah we all know  that they are the same but there must be some perceived differences. To me FG always came across as a bit snobby and intellectual whereas FF are more like cowboys for the common man.

It's like I support man utd, you support liverpool. Its handed down from the civil war. All around there are FF families and FG families. It's no more complicated than that.

I think it is a wee bit more complicated than that.... as there is an obivious difference in the perceptions of the two and definitely a difference in who their core support is. So yes FF & FG were born out of the civil war but who fell on what side of the line and why really gets to the route of the divide
Of course there are two distinct paths in history for FF and FG, but over time their policies have merged politically in the Dail as to make no difference, this perception was reinforced by one propping up the other.

Boycey

Mary Lou will have to perform like never before tonight because I'm sure the boys will gang up on her...

Conor Murphy/Paul Quinn
Ard Comhairle
Tax policies

Its doubtful though whether they can land a knockout blow on SF at this late stage. I was looking at the projections this morning we're very near the point where others would be the biggest group

Baile Brigín 2

We have been here before. SF poll well but on the day it doesn't materialise.

Itchy

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 04, 2020, 11:12:44 AM

No lad, we have never been here where SF is polling ahead of all other parties. It is true that their support is larger in young people than old and that young people are less likely to turn out. I see the Indo is doing its patriotic duty but throwing IRA into the mix again, pathetic rag. Unfortunately for them the people voting for SF dont buy newspapers anymore.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on February 04, 2020, 11:20:12 AM

No lad, we have never been here where SF is polling ahead of all other parties. It is true that their support is larger in young people than old and that young people are less likely to turn out. I see the Indo is doing its patriotic duty but throwing IRA into the mix again, pathetic rag. Unfortunately for them the people voting for SF dont buy newspapers anymore.

SF never match their polling numbers. Why will Saturday be different?

But I agree operation scare the shite out of them is up and running. But thats not really aimed at SF core.

Angelo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 04, 2020, 11:32:57 AM

But I agree operation scare the shite out of them is up and running. But thats not really aimed at SF core.

Will a Saturday vote bring a bigger youth turnout on polling day?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: Angelo on February 04, 2020, 11:39:05 AM

Something wrong if it doesn't.

You gotta laugh at Varadkar. This was his cunning plan to exploit his fake "down with the kids" persona.  ;D

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on February 04, 2020, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 04, 2020, 11:32:57 AM

Its possible, I bet if Leo had his time over again he wouldnt have chosen a Saturday! In fairness I think turnout is a big unknown, how pissed off are the young people and how willing are they to put down their mobiles and go out and vote? One very interesting thing was that the Greens only scored 7% I think in the youngest group polled yesterday, SF I think were in the 30s which is incredible (going by memory here as cant find it online)

Owenmoresider

They haven't, but when the likes of you treat supporting SF like it was your football team that's the sort of shite that will be spouted.

Itchy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 04, 2020, 11:49:05 AM

They haven't, but when the likes of you treat supporting SF like it was your football team that's the sort of shite that will be spouted.

Well one propped the other up for the term of this government and there are hardly any differences between their politics so I am not sure what you are getting annoyed about. Whats the difference between Eamonn Scanlon and Thomas Walsh and John Perry in Sligo, sweet FA I would say.