Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2021, 02:45:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
Is anyone who played in the recent Ring, Rackard, Meagher Finals complaining?
The Club Leagues in Roscommon get no newspaper coverage and few if any spectators. Yet they continue and lads continue to play in them.

True, but if Roscommon ever suffered and had to enter a tier 2 competition would you be happy if it was 3-15 to 2-18 against a similar level county and not a word on the Sunday Game?

The Sunday game is shit no matter what division you are in. Again, GAA should be doing much more to ensure a quality program. In UK there are shows showing league 1 and 2 games for example on SKY.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2021, 02:45:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
Is anyone who played in the recent Ring, Rackard, Meagher Finals complaining?
The Club Leagues in Roscommon get no newspaper coverage and few if any spectators. Yet they continue and lads continue to play in them.

True, but if Roscommon ever suffered and had to enter a tier 2 competition would you be happy if it was 3-15 to 2-18 against a similar level county and not a word on the Sunday Game?
I'd be happier if it was 3-15 to 2-17 :D
And fk the Sunday game, I couldn't care less ( but would probably be moaning about it though!):.
Up to the GAA to push the media-- e.g ye must show one lower grade/tier/ whatever for every higher level game te show ....and not on YouTube or streaming.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

People keep talking about the sunday game etc etc. I'm from antrim and one of the best things about lockdown has been that I am actually able to watch all the antrim games because streaming services cover that. I never saw a sniff of us on the sunday game and we maybe got a brief mention. Half the country is like that and then some with regard to football. The hurling is probably three quarters. I don't buy the argument of not being seen on the sunday game because it's very very limited how much a lot of teams will ever be seen on a show like that anyway.

RTE isn't great for coverage. TG4 great for underage and lower tiers like this. The reality is the higher tier stuff is better to watch. I would watch antrim all day but take for example this year I wouldn't have been that bothered about watching other division 4 matches. I imagine a lot would be the same.

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2021, 02:43:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 05, 2021, 02:16:19 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2021, 01:20:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2021, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2021, 01:04:16 PM
Aren't the majority of crowds at big Championship games bandwagon supporters/ tribalists?
Mind you their €€€€€s are a great help to the GAA coffers.

What I notice when I head down to Croke for the finals is real Gaa supporters from my county, no part time supporters of their club or bandwagoners, county hurlers, ex county hurlers, managers of club teams and committee men/women from the clubs referees and grounds men. We normally all head to one or two different pubs so you know.

The year Antrim got to the Ulster final, everyone and their dog left West Belfast to head to Clones, Id say 45% haven't been to a game since or even associated with a club

Two ways to look at that, your footballers inspired a group of people to go follow their county - if only they had kept it up maybe you would be the superpower you should be with the population you have. In my club, and i imagine a lot of club, All Ireland tickets are raffled so there is no way to decide if a club active member like those youve described get them or a useless toerag that only is going up for the jolly.

Why do people volunteer at their club? Is someone just helping out just so they can claim a potential AI ticket? I don't understand why someone would piss and moan about a member who doesn't get involved. If someone helps out, great. If they don't, so be it. But even non-active members are contributing to the club via membership (or lotto, buying tickets, attending matches). People seem to forget that.

You dont have to be a volunteer, you just need to buy a ticket in the raffle in our clubs case. In Milltowns it seems to be a raffle between club members.

Yeah, and that's fair enough. But my point was about the 'useless toerag' comment. These so called toerags still pay membership, buy lotto etc, and contribute financially to the club. They mightn't cut the grass or wash the jersies, but they're important all the same.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on August 05, 2021, 04:27:08 PM
Yeah, and that's fair enough. But my point was about the 'useless toerag' comment. These so called toerags still pay membership, buy lotto etc, and contribute financially to the club. They mightn't cut the grass or wash the jersies, but they're important all the same.

The ability to attend in person is one of the potential strengths of the GAA in relation to televised sports. Attendance of people who do not normally go should be welcome and if they take their children along then that can contribute to the growth of the GAA. Turning events into an inner circle only operation is not in the interests of the GAA. It is in the interests of the GAA to be seen to represent the community at large, whether club or country, and not just the traditional clan.
If people from all over the country want to meet and go to the pub then some other occasion should be designed for this,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ck

Sligo were withdrawn from the C'ship due to Covid. Tyrone got 2 extra weeks to play.

This tells you how the GAA will treat the 2nd tier counties!

Rossfan

Sligo were entering the single tier Connacht Championship.

ck

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2021, 09:57:10 AM

One rule for Sligo, another for Tyrone is my point. It's an insight as to how the GAA will treat a 2nd tier C'ship

dublin7

Quote from: ck on August 18, 2021, 10:36:12 AM

One rule for Sligo, another for Tyrone is my point. It's an insight as to how the GAA will treat a 2nd tier C'ship

Sligo couldn't fill a fixture and delaying the cam would have meant re-arranging fixtures for multiple counties and their wasn't a date in the calendar available to reschedule the game for. The GAA offered an additional week to Tyrone as it only affected two teams and their was an available date. Only for Kerry offering to change the date of the game Tyrone wouldn't be playing in the semi final either, so to say the GAA are being consistent in fairness

ck

Quote from: dublin7 on August 18, 2021, 10:41:35 AM

Sligo couldn't fill a fixture and delaying the cam would have meant re-arranging fixtures for multiple counties and their wasn't a date in the calendar available to reschedule the game for. The GAA offered an additional week to Tyrone as it only affected two teams and their was an available date. Only for Kerry offering to change the date of the game Tyrone wouldn't be playing in the semi final either, so to say the GAA are being consistent in fairness

Yes there are a number of dimensions to it but the bottom line is that there was little effort made to accommodate Sligo. In fact there was none. Sure it's only Sligo.

armaghniac

Quote from: ck on August 18, 2021, 10:44:43 AM
Yes there are a number of dimensions to it but the bottom line is that there was little effort made to accommodate Sligo. In fact there was none. Sure it's only Sligo.

Were Sligo and Tyrone at the same point in the competition? If not, then you cannot say that the name of the county was the main point.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

It's an insight as to how the GAA will treat a 2nd tier C'ship

That they won't let Sligo play in it??

Applesisapples

As an Armagh man, I'd like to say that the GAA got it right allowing Tyrone the time to recover. We are operating in extraordinary times, presumably the evidence viewed by the GAA showed that the out break was through no fault of the county structures or the players. to have a less than fit Tyrone going up against Kerry would have devalued both the GAA and the competition for the winners.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: dublin7 on August 18, 2021, 10:41:35 AM

There was two weeks between the semi-final and final last year. Could have played it a week later and Galway wouldn't even have needed to go full tilt as they were going to trounce us anyway.

Hound

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 18, 2021, 11:59:18 AM
As an Armagh man, I'd like to say that the GAA got it right allowing Tyrone the time to recover. We are operating in extraordinary times, presumably the evidence viewed by the GAA showed that the out break was through no fault of the county structures or the players. to have a less than fit Tyrone going up against Kerry would have devalued both the GAA and the competition for the winners.
Yep, exactly.

For the Sligo position, to properly analyze it you'd need to go back and see what the knowns and unknowns were at that time, what the risks appeared to be, what Sligo said and what the GAA said, to determine if the decision was right and fair, or not. 

However, whether it was right or wrong should not influence on the decision to award extra time to allow Tyrone play in an All Ireland semi final.