Armagh GAA stars help Irish League club to a rare European Victory

Started by T Fearon, July 20, 2007, 09:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2007, 12:57:51 PMnot when the unionist/loyalist peoples have a self imposed ban on playing Gaelic games it appears
What self-imposed ban?
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2007, 12:57:51 PM
on the other hand you have the establishment ifa trying to discourage nationalist/catholics from playing
WTF are you on about? When did this happen? There are Catholics/Nationalists playing and supporting at all levels of football and always have been.
not the same at all is it !
No the GAA is quasi-political, monocultural and stuck in the late 1800's whle the IFA is a sports body. Not the same at all.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 01:30:17 PM
You and your ilk seem to forget that the GAA is a sporting organisation and not a political entity.
Then why does it have 2 pages of political statements at the start of it's official guide?
Everyone is welcome at our games, regardless of race colour or creed.
Different issue, no-one has ever said anything about attending games, the issue is with the political requirements for membership.

T Fearon

The difference between the GAA and IFA, like 7up, is clear.

The IFA have a shameful history of sectarianism (which caused top clubs like Belfast Celtic and Derry City to withdraw permanently from its competitions), culminating in a death threat which forced the retirement of one its most prominent players. The organisation adopts the flags,anthems and symbols of one community only in the 6 counties and cannot be described as impartial in any way shape or form,its member clubs permit the use of their grounds for days of Unionist/Orange/Loyalist culture.

The GAA is a cultural/sporting organisation, with no sectarian trappings, whose members have been killed by unionist paramilitaries for simply being members, with absoulutely no history of sectarian abuse or threats meted out to players/spectators

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 01:38:13 PM
I think most clubs reqirement for membership would be the fee  ;)
Not what it says in your oficial guide.
Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 01:38:13 PM
Then again, you prods are so used to the British Government subsidising everything for you, you would probably want a grant to pay your membership  :D
I'm not a prod.

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 01:44:09 PM
Could we not organise an exchange visit so the likes of SammyG and Evil Genius can set to see what a game is like and then judge for themselves.

As I've said loads of times, I've been to a few matches and they're usually good crack.

GweylTah

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 20, 2007, 01:30:17 PM
Sorry to piss on you sectarian rant, Gwaytofuck, but there are Protestants playing Gaelic Football in the North. Granted there may not be a large percentage, but I think that is as much to do with how they are perceived in their own communities. Any prods I know that play enjoy it, but they do get a bit of playful banter.  ;)
You and your ilk seem to forget that the GAA is a sporting organisation and not a political entity. Everyone is welcome at our games, regardless of race colour or creed.

Can you prove any of that?  The stongly held view in the Ulster Protestant-Unionist-British community is that the GAA is a highly politicized body that plays a few ball codes and simply is not for or of them.

Now, where's that ostrich avatar for you?

:D

his holiness nb

Gweltyah, would you ever give over for f**k sake  ::)
What exactly do you want him to prove, that he knows prods who play, that the GAA is a sporting organisation??
If you are going to talk shite at least be clear about it
Ask me holy bollix