Author Topic: Broadband  (Read 6270 times)

LeoMc

• View Profile
Re: Broadband
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a reasonable 4-5 port unmanned switch which can support  3 x POE WIFI boosters.
Recommendations for Ceiling mounted POE WIFI boosters also gratefully accepted.

Helix

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone experience of Vodafone broadband in rural area. Moving into farm house in Laois and the local broadband spots are unreliable. Seeing Vodafone has decent coverage just want to know what they’re like and is it worth 18 month contract. Cheers
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Fionntamhnach

• "Load up on drugs, kill your friends..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »
AFAIK in the Republic, Vodafone's broadband services are distributed over three different platforms, the OpenEir network (i.e. the main telephone network that is (nearly all) copper to the premises using xDSL), the SIRO FTTH network and their mobile telephone network. I'd assume that if you're moving to a farm house in Laois then it's the last one that's probably of interest.

Interestingly Vodafone's website doesn't have a coverage checker where you can input your Eircode or address to give you a decent idea of coverage, instead just using a map to show different levels of coverage across ROI. Not terribly useful.  :-\

Anything I've read about Vodafone IE's mobile broadband packages over 4G/3G has been mainly positive. Their €45 a month deal can be cancelled within two weeks if it doesn't work well for you according to them.
https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband.html

The 150GB a month data cap can be plenty or not near enough depending on the abuse it would likely get. If it's say just yourself and a partner at home and both you don't indulge in huge amounts of streaming HD/4K video via Netflix etc. Then you'd be fine almost all the time. However if you have children - especially several teenagers - or other young adults living with you then that data allowance could be eaten up quickly.

Best place to ask about this IMO would be on the Broadband/Midband section of boards dot ie, a few people there with experience regarding 4G/3G broadband across different networks. Would know more than me anyway.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Putting internet gobshítes in their place since 1999