Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on July 23, 2018, 04:25:15 PM
The Electrician should have been able to test the coil by doing an Insulation resistance test on it. This would tell you if the element is broke or not.
Is it a pipe stat that trips or is it tripping something in your fuse box?
LL nothing in the fusebox is being tripped, its the thermostat inside the immersion itself. Spark tested the element and can see the current going through it. Next step replace only the stat?

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on July 23, 2018, 09:56:59 PM
The Electrician should have been able to test the coil by doing an Insulation resistance test on it. This would tell you if the element is broke or not.
LL nothing in the fusebox is being tripped, its the thermostat inside the immersion itself. Spark tested the element and can see the current going through it. Next step replace only the stat?
Ok so it's the the thermal cutout on the stat that's tripping?
What temperature is the stat set to? Have you tried turning it down a bit? Those stats wouldn't always be calibrated correctly so it could be making the water hotter than you think and it's tripping the thermal cutout.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on July 23, 2018, 10:08:08 PM
Ok so it's the the thermal cutout on the stat that's tripping? I think this is the problem
What temperature is the stat set to? When I checked last night it was in between 60-70, what should it be at? Have you tried turning it down a bit? Those stats wouldn't always be calibrated correctly so it could be making the water hotter than you think and it's tripping the thermal cutout. atm I'm unable to use the reset button on the stat, but I'll get a replacement and try turning it down

illdecide

Normal temp for hot water stat is 60 but it's an individual thing too but 60 is more than hot enough
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on July 24, 2018, 08:47:24 AM
Ok so it's the the thermal cutout on the stat that's tripping? I think this is the problem
What temperature is the stat set to? When I checked last night it was in between 60-70, what should it be at? Have you tried turning it down a bit? Those stats wouldn't always be calibrated correctly so it could be making the water hotter than you think and it's tripping the thermal cutout. atm I'm unable to use the reset button on the stat, but I'll get a replacement and try turning it down

Yeah first thing I would do is get another stat.
If you're lucky it was just a faulty stat if it's not the stat then you are going to have to investigate why the stat is tripping out out on the thermal cutout. The only way this will trip (if the stat isn't faulty) is that the temperature has reached the high limit.
Just a thought but would have maybe another source of heat? As in is the immersion element the only thing heating the water in the cylinder? Have you a back boiler or central heating that would also heat the tank?
Also a build up of limescale could be a cause.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2018, 12:26:44 PM
Quote from: BenDover on July 24, 2018, 08:47:24 AM

Yeah first thing I would do is get another stat.
If you're lucky it was just a faulty stat if it's not the stat then you are going to have to investigate why the stat is tripping out out on the thermal cutout. The only way this will trip (if the stat isn't faulty) is that the temperature has reached the high limit.
Just a thought but would have maybe another source of heat? As in is the immersion element the only thing heating the water in the cylinder? Have you a back boiler or central heating that would also heat the tank?
Also a build up of limescale could be a cause.
Central heating also heats the water in the tank, but it has not been on at the same time that the immersion has been switched on.

tintin25

Guys, anyone have any experience with new builds/snags and what you entitled to?

Noticed the wall above my window in the ensuite isn't 100% straight...only noticed when the blinds were put in.  Now it's not the worst but I want plasterer to come back in and replaster.  Was told by  the builder that it was 'within tolerable' and they wouldn't be touching it.  I have no doubt if I ever sold the property that another QS would highlight it and I'd have to bear the cost.  Are they chancing it?

snoopdog

Putting up an extension.  Architect has put in normal build 2 row block with insulation in cavity.
Was mentioned to me by someone to use  breeze blocks and then batons with 100mm insulation on the inside. Would the breeblocks then need concrete poured into the holes?
Also mentioned was laying blocks on side then the external insulation. .
Any thoughts or advice on the above appreciated.

Therealdonald

Quote from: tintin25 on August 28, 2018, 02:21:31 PM
Guys, anyone have any experience with new builds/snags and what you entitled to?

Noticed the wall above my window in the ensuite isn't 100% straight...only noticed when the blinds were put in.  Now it's not the worst but I want plasterer to come back in and replaster.  Was told by  the builder that it was 'within tolerable' and they wouldn't be touching it.  I have no doubt if I ever sold the property that another QS would highlight it and I'd have to bear the cost.  Are they chancing it?

Hard to say without photos Tintin.