Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on August 13, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
It's easy for you lads to call it temporary but in truth you don't know the real situation.

To Robin Williams, after battling it for so many years, he came to believe that it was the relief from depression that was temporary. Rightly or wrongly that's the way he felt.

R.I.P. Robin, you fought a good fight.

I am not saying it is temporary, I am simply saying it is MORE temporary than suicide - which is absolutely permanent.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on August 13, 2014, 04:04:12 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 13, 2014, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 13, 2014, 03:14:56 PM
Heard a good expression which has stuck in my head over the past few days;

'suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems'
Who can say that everybody's problems are always temporary? Not necessarily the case.

No matter what the problem, it is a more temporary condition than the solution suicide provides.
Tread carefully here....
What you say makes perfect sense to any rational individual but anyone suffering from clinical depression has a warped sense of reality.
What BC1 wrote above is well worth repeating here:

"It is not the problem that pushes people to commit suicide but their inability to deal with the problem and find solutions."

There, short and succinct, lies the kernel of the problem.
It's somewhat like the old conundrum, which came first, the chicken or the egg?
To solve the problem, the individual needs to have the ability to reason logically but if he or she were able to do that, the problem wouldn't have arisen in the first place.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

What about paranoia? I sometimes feel paranoid about how I'm perceived by those nearest and dearest to me. Then I feel bad that I'm useless and want it all to end. This probably is 'only me' who experiences it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 23, 2014, 10:00:56 PM
What about paranoia? I sometimes feel paranoid about how I'm perceived by those nearest and dearest to me. Then I feel bad that I'm useless and want it all to end. This probably is 'only me' who experiences it.

I would think if you can rely on anyone it would be those 'nearest and dearest' to you. Your next line moves into the territory of the rest rest of the thread. There have been some great posts here, and I certainly won't go giving advice on the subject, but have a look back through and you'll definitely find something for you. Best of luck Farr.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 23, 2014, 10:00:56 PM

It's not only you who feels it. That's the only thing of which I'm certain. In fact I'd say there are fewer people who haven't felt this than there are who have.

seafoid

For everyone feeling a bit down or dealing with head stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlcSZotpAhE
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Excellent article in today's Examiner explaining how our brains play tricks with us when romantic relationships break down and why it's so difficult to deal with. Very brave of this fella to write this, he talks about his own personal experience.

The science behind a broken heart explains all

Eamonnca1

Bumping this thread now that December is upon us, just in case anyone needs to find it.

Hereiam

Work colleague has just took a bout of depression outa the blue. Was in great form one week and the complete opposite the next. Says he is hearin voices, doctors have him on prozac. Not a nice thing.

Denn Forever

Not to be alarmist, but hearing voices indicated Schizophrenia?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

charlieTully

Quote from: Hereiam on December 01, 2014, 09:57:55 AM
Work colleague has just took a bout of depression outa the blue. Was in great form one week and the complete opposite the next. Says he is hearin voices, doctors have him on prozac. Not a nice thing.

if he is hearing voices he needs medication a lot stronger than prozec. its indicative of a psychotic illness which will not be treated properly with antidepressants.

charlieTully

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 01, 2014, 10:43:48 AM
Not to be alarmist, but hearing voices indicated Schizophrenia?

hearing voices is one of the symptoms of schizophrenia but can happen as a result of severe depression as well, what docs term a psychotic depression or can also be caused by illicit drug misuse or alcohol withdrawal.

Banter Panther

I read this fine OP some time ago and wondered about posting myself as it might help some people if they saw a bit of honesty. Even though I would encourage anyone with depression to speak out and not feel ashamed (why should you?), I've never really applied that rule to myself. This is my second bout of depression, and I've been very private about it up until this point. Nobody really knows the FULL extent of it.

I suffered from depression over an eight month period (roughly) in 2009. Much of it arose from the passing of my grandmother. On that occasion, counselling worked wonders for me. Although unpleasant, it was a relatively mild bout in comparison to what I have felt recently.

Over the summer, I found myself working far too much. My work does not involve much variety, it's the same routine every day. I like to think of myself as a very kind person, but I received some nasty comments over my appearance (I am very small, and seemed to get them more regularly than usual over the summer, both at work and outside of work. While I imagine most people just get on with it, for some reason I took these comments to heart more than I normally would last summer. However, despite being unhappy at the hum-drum nature of my work and the comments of others, it was not until an old friend of mine took his own life this summer that it registered with me that I was depressed. I would regularly wake up at about five in the morning, and stay awake until it was time to get up for work, spending all of this time worrying irrationally, thinking about how unhappy I was with how I look and what a useless person I am in general.

After that, my relationship broke down, which compounded matters. She did not know to any extent what was going on, and I do not hold anything against her. My self-loathing became worse. I eventually opened up to my parents who were very supportive, and my doctor was very helpful. Counselling did not work this time, as I was starting to contemplate self-harm and wondering if there was any point in living.

I have had to take medication, and I am not ashamed of that. I feel it has allowed me to get on with life, see the good in things again and given me the energy to work on the very things that have brought me down. I am currently gaining some journalistic experience which is fantastic, I have done some gym work and am much happier with how I look. I have negotiated a more reasonable work schedule and rekindled friendships with people that I lost touch with over the course of my relationship, which has also been reconciled. I drink very little, and I can safely say that that has helped me a lot. I have spoken to a select few about it, which has also helped enormously.

It may seem an unusual post from someone who rarely posts here at all, but it's been on my mind since I read the OP and I wondered if it might help to share my experience with others. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how small your 'reason' for being depressed is (I do not know why there needs to be a reason at all, in fact there doesn't), there's always help and a path to take. Most reading this may not even care. But if it helps even one person, as cliched as that may sound, then I would only be delighted!  :)
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

quit yo jibbajabba

good man BP, and good luck on your journey

nrico2006

Glad things are going well for you Banther Panther, takes a lot of courage to disclose whats going on in your head. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'