Sectarian abuse from the free staters

Started by Truth hurts, February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2022, 07:42:02 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 25, 2022, 07:10:57 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 25, 2022, 07:08:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2022, 06:43:59 PM
I can't be bothered to read back but like I've said, I'm not interested in what other people think on it either, you keep politics out of sport.

I've said my peace on the charity and I've said where I think it's become political. Either you can't read what I said or don't want to. The brits have been here long before the poppy ever came about, I don't see it or union jacks flying about as an issue.

If we don't try and move on and comfy to polarise the communities then we'll get nowhere

I've read your posts. You don't believe the poppy is political in NI apparently.  We'll never going to meet on that base point so Not much point debating anything else as the rest stems from that. We'll leave it there.

I also disagree. But. If you object to poppies at other sports and defend the club's right to controversial, at least to some, Republican commemorations in the GAA, what are you?

You're the one defending the poppy promotion by the IFA but condemning the Clonoe memorial. How it that not hypocritical if you're saying that the vice versa is?

I didn't defend the poppy. I sighed at the whataboutery

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2022, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 26, 2022, 11:43:11 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2022, 09:38:04 AM
What percentage of the population of the 26 Counties don't regard Amhrán na bhFiann as their Anthem?
Anyway the Ruggerites have a team anthem as well.
It's not the Republic of Ireland rugby team.
As I understand the IRFU position they play the National Anthem because the game takes place in the 26 Counties, then play the Dirge as an anthem for the team .
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they don't play Amhrán na bhFiann at away games.
The IFA don't play any song to represent their team despite the dual Nationality involved.
You are correct on both points.  Regarding the first point, afaik, they used to play GSTQ at internationals in Belfast before there was opposition from a number of players. The Dirge, as you call it, is grand and helps unify the fans at the ground as everyone sings along.
Don't think you are allowed to play 2 home anthems in football. Would be good if this was allowed.

Snapchap

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 26, 2022, 01:46:54 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 26, 2022, 07:42:02 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 25, 2022, 07:10:57 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 25, 2022, 07:08:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2022, 06:43:59 PM
I can't be bothered to read back but like I've said, I'm not interested in what other people think on it either, you keep politics out of sport.

I've said my peace on the charity and I've said where I think it's become political. Either you can't read what I said or don't want to. The brits have been here long before the poppy ever came about, I don't see it or union jacks flying about as an issue.

If we don't try and move on and comfy to polarise the communities then we'll get nowhere

I've read your posts. You don't believe the poppy is political in NI apparently.  We'll never going to meet on that base point so Not much point debating anything else as the rest stems from that. We'll leave it there.

I also disagree. But. If you object to poppies at other sports and defend the club's right to controversial, at least to some, Republican commemorations in the GAA, what are you?

You're the one defending the poppy promotion by the IFA but condemning the Clonoe memorial. How it that not hypocritical if you're saying that the vice versa is?

I didn't defend the poppy. I sighed at the whataboutery

Re-read my post you replied to there. I didn't say you defended the poppy. I said you are defending the IFA's promotion of it. Which is fair enough if that's your view. But just don't then come along spouting outrage about political symbols in Clonoe and calling for them to be sanctioned.

Main Street

Quote from: michaelg on February 24, 2022, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 24, 2022, 09:43:32 AM
michaelg: If someone went to Windsor Park and heard GSTQ being played and British War dead being commemorated, and poppy fundraisers for ex-British soldiers, would that make a young nationalist more or less likely to attend/join in?

Given the history of the British Army in the north, do you believe commemorating British War dead/poppys on ni shirts/fundraising for retired British soldiers etc at places like Windsor Park is OK? Or are politically contentious commemorations on sports grounds only wrong when it's the GAA doing it?
Politically contentious commemorations should be kept away from all sports grounds.  I know you are not going to agree with me, but I don't think the 2 examples you have provided are like for like.  If there was a UVF memorial for dead terrorists at a local footbal ground, that is not the same as commemorating the dead of 2 World Wars.
In my book  a republican volunteer would be a close equivalent of an ANC  soldier/activist, the ANC being a military/political movement which came about after civil rights campaigns were heavily suppressed and shot off the streets in an apartheid state.
A  uvf/udr member would be a more crude equivalent of a dead British soldier, RUC, UDR, any members of the British state terror machine.
The poppy is also about celebrating british imperialism in Ireland as well as slavery/racism/sadistic cruelty and resource rape as was evidenced in Africa and the Far East.

In current state of affairs in NI where intolerance, bigotry  is being shouted out at megaphone volume by deranged Unionists, it is indeed strange that you choose to focus on one GAA  club as a justification for remaining blinkered and prejudiced.
Yes, the GAA club is no place for a military memorial. The GAA has just a bit to go to achieve a respectful balance between sport, culture and history, whereas large elements of the  Unionist community are mired deep in actively propagating bigotry and prejudice.

johnnycool

What percentage of the population of the 26 Counties don't regard Amhrán na bhFiann as their Anthem?
As I understand the IRFU position they play the National Anthem because the game takes place in the 26 Counties, then play the Dirge as an anthem for the team .
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they don't play Amhrán na bhFiann at away games.
The IFA don't play any song to represent their team despite the dual Nationality involved.

And if Ireland ever play a home game in Belfast they'd have to play GSTQ as well as Irelands dirge.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2022, 11:25:21 AM

And if Ireland ever play a home game in Belfast they'd have to play GSTQ as well as Irelands dirge.

I went to Ravenhill to watch them play Italy before the 07 world cup and they didn't play GSTQ. Few unionist politicians weren't happy after

Rossfan

They deemed it an away game or something if I recall it rightly?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hurler on the Bitch

I see Kenny Archer was reporting today more 26-county skulduggery from the Deise at Corrigan Park yesterday..

barnish oggie

Yep, and the player was easily identified and many heard what he said.

armaghniac

Just give each player a small microphone and recording device and all sledging would end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: barnish oggie on February 28, 2022, 02:44:01 PM
Yep, and the player was easily identified and many heard what he said.

Won't be the first time there's lads abused with sectarian undertones in Corrigan park  ;)

toby47

I really don't get why it's a big deal to be honest?

What's the difference in kicking a wide, or missing a free and your marker letting you know about it 'your shite etc' and being called British or anything else?

I'd say i (or my team mates) heard it 90% of the times we played a southern team and it was honestly water off a ducks back, didn't bother me in the slightest. The verbals in the local club derby's would cut a bit deeper.

barnish oggie

Quote from: toby47 on February 28, 2022, 03:38:40 PM
I really don't get why it's a big deal to be honest?

What's the difference in kicking a wide, or missing a free and your marker letting you know about it 'your shite etc' and being called British or anything else?

I'd say i (or my team mates) heard it 90% of the times we played a southern team and it was honestly water off a ducks back, didn't bother me in the slightest. The verbals in the local club derby's would cut a bit deeper.

i think it comes down to being viewed as less Irish than those who are saying it, which something a lot of us feel passionately about.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2022, 11:25:21 AM

They wouldn't though. That's just something that people, mainly unionists, made up to be angry.