Gardening/ Landscaping

Started by trueblue1234, October 10, 2012, 10:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

There is a geo fabric you can put along the slope basically like a netting that's knits the whole thing together and then a few shrubs and whatever else the guys have suggested here. The mesh stops the ground from sliping and it shouldn't be any worse than a 1:3 slope anyway. If it is get builder/contractor back in and make him do a retaining wall, Gabbions/crib walling are quite nice rather than a block/concrete structure
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

HiMucker

Folks I have a pile of stones on the driveway but I am getting more thrown down.  Probably around 9 tonne of 20mm gravel.  There is weeds and that growing up through it at the minute that I have removed.  What sort of chemical or that would I be best to put down before the gravel?  Would your run of the mill weed killer be good enough?  I take it laying any plastic sheet or that would be a waste of time with cars moving over it?

supersarsfields

Personally wouldn't bother with the Plastic. With loose stones and vehicles it'll be a nightmare to keep covered.
I use Gallup. Get a concentrated 5 L bottle for about £20 bucks. Only need a little in a 5 L sprayer and mixed with water and it's a great job. But it's potent so use when there's little wind or else you could give the lawn a touch as well!!  :-[

guy crouchback

putting down a permeable membrane like Mypex would stop the weeds growing up from the soil but weeds will grow on top of it anyway so I'm not sure there is much point as you will have to spray it anyway.
roundup would do the trick. there is a stuff you can get that when mixed with the roundup will stop any thing growing for about a year, i cant remember the name of it but if you ask in a hardware store or an agri co-op they will know. as mentioned be careful when you are spraying this stuff as it will kill anything that grows.

HiMucker

Cheers lads! I will try to avoid the grass  :-\

Tony Baloney

Gallup and Roundup both contain 360g/L of glyphosate. Either will do the trick but it's a continous battle.
What's your 9 tonne costing as could do with another layer myself.

HiMucker

I got it off chambers the last time and it was £15 a tonne plus your £30 delivery charge.  Delivered that day