Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Cannot believe the new British government think the EU will blink and offer a bigger compromise. It's not going to happen. Good to see cold water already being poured on it by Varadkar.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 24, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
Cannot believe the new British government think the EU will blink and offer a bigger compromise. It's not going to happen. Good to see cold water already being poured on it by Varadkar.
They don't want a new deal. Johnson just lining it up so they can continue to blame EU intransigence for failure to secure a deal.

omaghjoe

Its a fairly mad reshuffle and a lineup that will do nothing to heal any rifts in the Tory Parliamentary party. Looks to me like the only remainer left is his bro, and he hasn't even given him a job yet

All those who oppose him are on the oputside eiher by by resignation or sacking, hard to see how he will have anything other than an even more difficult time than May.

...interestingly I googled the deputy prime minister and hadn't realised that the post has been put on the shelf since Nick Clegg

RedHand88

Gavin Williamson leaks state secrets.

Gets put in charge of Education.

yellowcard

This must be the most right wing UK government since Thatcher. Johnson rolling the dice from day one and gearing up for an election already.

ziggysego

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 24, 2019, 10:51:33 PM
...interestingly I googled the deputy prime minister and hadn't realised that the post has been put on the shelf since Nick Clegg

I heard somewhere, maybe BBC News at 10, that Dominic Raab is the new Deputy PM in the UK as well as Foreign Secretary. Mind you, haven't seen it written on any websites or mentioned on Twitter. So who knows really.
Testing Accessibility

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ziggysego on July 24, 2019, 11:32:54 PM

I heard somewhere, maybe BBC News at 10, that Dominic Raab is the new Deputy PM in the UK as well as Foreign Secretary. Mind you, haven't seen it written on any websites or mentioned on Twitter. So who knows really.

Raab said today "we have to leave the EU by Oct 31st, either with or without a deal".
He is a dangerous cookie.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 24, 2019, 11:40:06 PM

Raab said today "we have to leave the EU by Oct 31st, either with or without a deal".

They are all dangerous cookies either through sheer recklessness or stupidity. Or worse again both as in the likes of Priti Patel.

johnnycool

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 25, 2019, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 24, 2019, 11:40:06 PM

They are all dangerous cookies either through sheer recklessness or stupidity. Or worse again both as in the likes of Priti Patel.

Explains it all;

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jun/09/boarding-schools-bad-leaders-politicians-bullies-bumblers?fbclid=IwAR1M3KVfjVkOSQhw7iS28bcetknL_f7DqNx1SUImMB0kVXbjwCjVQ4lAWD4

trailer

Traditionally the boys in Eton get a day off school when a former pupil becomes Prime Minister. As it is now the holidays they won't get that.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on July 25, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
Traditionally the boys in Eton get a day off school when a former pupil becomes Prime Minister. As it is now the holidays they won't get that.

They might get one off in the Autumn though.

armaghniac

Apparently Hunt is not in the cabinet because of something the Queen was overheard say "Johnson sack Hunt".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2019, 01:17:02 AM
Apparently Hunt is not in the cabinet because of something the Queen was overheard say "Johnson sack Hunt".

Had to say it out loud there myself 😁.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

t_mac

It really is bonkers at the moment Tories with DUP have about a 2 seat majority, surely a no-deal brexit will hit the island of Ireland hardest, in such a catastrophic outcome for this island why won't the sinners take their 7 seats.  In my humble opinion I believe Sinn Fein want a no-deal so they can push for a border poll, in such a scenario they are no better than all the other parties who are putting self-interest above the interest of the people.  Tories just want to pursue a no-deal now and deliver on an ideology , Corbyn is a brexiteer who's party are mostly remainers, SNP just want a second independence referendum, liberals especially under their new leader believe (wrongly) they will get all remain voters in another General Election, and the DUP simply want to hang on to the coat tails of England. 

With the numbers as they are a General Election is a certainty before Christmas, Farage and Johnson will do a pact and hoover up seats all over England, Labour and the Liberals refuse to do a pact and hence will get hammered, and every nationalist in the North knowing they are as well pissing in the wind will follow tribal policies and vote Sinn Fein to have no voice in the only parliament that matters to us as Stormount is not returning in the foreseeable future - it is depressing stuff, my 16 year old son asked why if Brexit is so important will our MP not go and debate and vote in Parliament and more importantly why do we keep voting for them - I struggled to answer him.

EDIT: And yes I know about abstentionism and their mandate to abstain, and am old enough to have been beat of roads to let Orangemen walk through my area, but specifically a no-deal brexit could be won on a vote or two and in such a scenario we could be all up the river without a paddle.

red hander

Shinners may have been able to sell return to Dail and that farce up on hill to their voters, but taking oath to queen in London would seriously hit their support and dissidents would be rubbing their hands. Besides, anybody who thinks their votes would make blind bit of difference is deluded. It's not going to happen, no matter how many times that excuse of a politician micheal martin whines on about it.