The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

So the Kenyan lad had one last stab at trying to cause instability for the new POTUS by expelling Russians. Childish and stupid behaviour.

As for the following, I'm sure looking back it's a bit embarrassing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1NGWM8gP8

just goes to show how arrogant and confident the Democrats were of their candidate. At least he's aware he is the worst president ever.

The stink that has followed since the results just goes to show how sick they are they lost. Constant CNN moaning. Too funny!

Bye bye Osama/ WEPOTUS

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

omochain

Quote from: whitey on January 14, 2017, 04:46:48 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 14, 2017, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 14, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 14, 2017, 02:34:43 PM
Or, if we discount Texas and Alabama, Hilary won the popular vote by 5 million.

Hence how ridiculous the argument about Hillary getting more votes....it doesnt matter....simple as....thats not the system we have in place.

If we follow that same logic we should be all  in arms about UKIP getting one seat for 3,800,000 votes, while the SNP got 56 seats on 1,450,000 votes.

Or the Irish system where the person who gets more first preference votes doenst necessarily up winning a seat against someone who gets more transfers

I agree that the point about Hilary getting more votes doesn't matter.  Both sides knew where the goalposts were at the outset.  What I find silly is the frequently made point that if we discount California, Hilary didn't get more votes.  If we're going to talk about the popular vote, why omit California while keeping the bigger Trump margin states in the tally?

Agreed its a silly argument, but there is actually some logic behind it seeing as Californiais such an outlier......38 M people.....versus the next closest state Texas with 26 M people.

By my back of the napkin calculations if we take out both Texas and Ca Trump won the popular vote by 53811000 to 53214000

Problem with the arithmetic there. 4.3 less  0.8 = 3.5 million ;)

omochain

Quote from: foxcommander on January 14, 2017, 08:53:36 PM
So the Kenyan lad had one last stab at trying to cause instability for the new POTUS by expelling Russians. Childish and stupid behaviour.

As for the following, I'm sure looking back it's a bit embarrassing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1NGWM8gP8

just goes to show how arrogant and confident the Democrats were of their candidate. At least he's aware he is the worst president ever.

The stink that has followed since the results just goes to show how sick they are they lost. Constant CNN moaning. Too funny!

Bye bye Osama/ WEPOTUS
[/quote
Yes, people in less populated states voted for Donal Trump and he won the election. He won it appealing to the baser instincts of the electorate. You articulate that perfectly when you refer to President Obama as the Keynan. BTW Do you ever read any of the economic or social indicators. All have moved in a very positive way in the last eight years. But that's not what Fox News considers "Fair and Balanced".  Democrats were stupid to think that "Joes the plumbers" would not once again vote against their economic self interest and buy the "trickle down" BS from a Carpetbagger.
They have been doing it for 30 years.  It was not democrat arrogance; it was a stupid belief that people are smart enough to vote for their own economic self interest.
Do you really think that President Obama was causing instability for President elect Trump by telling V. Putin that messing with the US electoral system was outside the pale.
Before you think it. Yes, you are right I should not have reacted to a WUM but I couldn't help myself and Mary Elke's Pinot put me over the top.

screenexile

Judging by recent statements from the incoming administration it looks like SNL is going to be a key issue for the Trump administration!!!

(Baldwin has him down to a tee it's great television!)

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on January 16, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
Judging by recent statements from the incoming administration it looks like SNL is going to be a key issue for the Trump administration!!!

And therein lies the issue.....I have lived here for 23 years and not aline do I not watch SNL, I don't know ONE person who does. If you think SNL speaks for, or to a majority of Americans, (or even to a large minority) you're way off the mark.

AZOffaly

Quote from: whitey on January 14, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 14, 2017, 02:34:43 PM
Or, if we discount Texas and Alabama, Hilary won the popular vote by 5 million.

Hence how ridiculous the argument about Hillary getting more votes....it doesnt matter....simple as....thats not the system we have in place.

If we follow that same logic we should be all  in arms about UKIP getting one seat for 3,800,000 votes, while the SNP got 56 seats on 1,450,000 votes.

Or the Irish system where the person who gets more first preference votes doenst necessarily up winning a seat against someone who gets more transfers

It's irrelevant, and more dangerous for the Democrats, it clouds reality. If they think that the only reason they lost is because of the system, then they are fucked. You can't say 'if we were playing by these rules, we would have won' because simply put, they weren't the rules of the game. And Trump (and Clinton) played the game according to the rules.

In the old days of the GAA, a goal was worth more than any number of points. So if you won an All Ireland 1-0 to 0-6 you were still All Ireland Champions. The opposition wouldn't say 'Ah yeah, but we scored six points, so if points were worth more, we'd have won'.

As long as the system is the system, you play and campaign by the system, and bleating about the popular vote is irrelevant.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 16, 2017, 11:09:01 AM

And therein lies the issue.....I have lived here for 23 years and not aline do I not watch SNL, I don't know ONE person who does. If you think SNL speaks for, or to a majority of Americans, (or even to a large minority) you're way off the mark.

Yet the sketches, which go viral, drive Trump crazy and solicit vitriolic, spiteful, immature tweets from him.

And the same show, not watched by many apparently, ended up defining Sarah Palin eight years ago.

Just wait till Alec Baldwin wins an Emmy or whatever to see how the great conspiracy theorist reacts!

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 16, 2017, 12:17:03 PM

Yet the sketches, which go viral, drive Trump crazy and solicit vitriolic, spiteful, immature tweets from him.

And the same show, not watched by many apparently, ended up defining Sarah Palin eight years ago.

Just wait till Alec Baldwin wins an Emmy or whatever to see how the great conspiracy theorist reacts!

Yep....lame stream news media played those Palin clips on a continual loop until people started actually believing she said some of the things she was portrayed as saying in the sketch.  Way to go!

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on January 16, 2017, 12:43:31 PM

Yep....lame stream news media played those Palin clips on a continual loop until people started actually believing she said some of the things she was portrayed as saying in the sketch.  Way to go!

And the Dems are the immature snowflakes??!! Poor misunderstood Sarah Palin, if it wasn't for Tina Fey, she'd be recognised for the political giant she was.

Really, really hope you're being ironic here Whitey...

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 16, 2017, 12:43:31 PM

They played them because they were funny and popular.

Palin herself conceded as much by presenting and actually being a good sport (at least for a bit).

If they didn't hit a mark, the sketches wouldn't have gone viral, especially not to the point where some people thought she actually said "I can see Russia from my house" (although the Russia statement SNL was lampooning wasn't much more coherent or sensible). Other stuff they used was actual statements she made.

However, the point is, that SNL CAN be very influential, despite your statement that they don't speak to or for many Americans.

Trump knows this, although he would probably obsess over it even if they were on some obscure cable channel and nothing they did spread.

easytiger95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvlm3LKSlpU

Sarah "policy wonk" Palin endorsing Trump because of his intention of being a "disrupter" on the international stage spells the decline of the post WW2 consensus, and an embrace of more traditional Metternich-like spheres of influence and a rational realpolitik towards nominal adversaries...'n' guns 'n' immigants 'n'  Murica

J70

Trump even presented last year himself. Hillary made an appearance before the election. As have numerous other politicians over the years.

whitey

MSM uses every stick at its disposal to beat, belittle and distort Republicans and Conservatives.  Re-running the SNL sketches is just a continuation of that.   Yes Trump and Palin are great targets and yes they leave themselves wide open to ridicule, but is it the role of supposed serious "news" outlets to asassinate the candidates of one party leaving those of the other party relatively untouched?  I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 16, 2017, 01:12:48 PM
MSM uses every stick at its disposal to beat, belittle and distort Republicans and Conservatives.  Re-running the SNL sketches is just a continuation of that.   Yes Trump and Palin are great targets and yes they leave themselves wide open to ridicule, but is it the role of supposed serious "news" outlets to asassinate the candidates of one party leaving those of the other party relatively untouched?  I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

You just answered your own question.

I don't recall too many John McCain or Mitt Romney or Obama impressions going viral because the material and the actors able to so accurately and hilariously lampoon them just weren't there.

easytiger95

You've spent the last year and a half complaining, that while of course you'd never vote Trump, the namby pamby snowflakes of the liberal left, with their safe spaces and their BLM t shirts, and their sensitive beards are wot's doing Murica down...

and then Trump wins, apparently on the back of a great manly roar from the unwashed and forgotten Real Muricans...

and now you're complaining about a sketch show...a FRICKIN' SKETCH SHOW... on the lame stream media, which you say you don't care about (which is obviously a sign that you do)... is "unfairly" doing down the conservative He Man, who responds by tweeting like a vapid Valley Girl...of which you're doing a fairly good impression yerself.

That's it. Shut down the mocha cappuccino machine, throw the fixy bikes in the dumpster and usher the hipsters towards the cliff ... irony is dead.

LOL, as you would say Whitey.