Newspaper Items

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 26, 2015, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Don Draper on October 02, 2018, 10:24:16 AM
The U21 Championship is bullshit.
Serves no purpose anymore. I can see clubs pulling out of it.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Don Draper

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 02, 2018, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 02, 2018, 10:24:16 AM
The U21 Championship is bullshit.
Serves no purpose anymore. I can see clubs pulling out of it.
It was shoehorned in at a CB meeting earlier in the year, it was madness then, its madness now. I'd imagine only 2 or 3 clubs will compete in it.

BallyroanAbu

I agree and we proposed it 8),  no choice members of our club wanted it. 

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 02, 2018, 10:18:02 PM
I agree and we proposed it 8),  no choice members of our club wanted it.
Of course you did, you have a strong panel up to that age.

Doesn't make it right.

Laois Rising

If you stop underage football after U19 a lot of lads could be left in limbo with having little or no football if they do not make the transition to senior straight away. I can't see a problem with running an U21 competition if a different time of year was found for it within calendar. With Portlaoise's dominance at senior level set to last for another decade or more it will probably be the last chance most footballers in Laois have of winning a county championship title with their club.     

redsetanta

Has the U20 grade disappeared or something?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 03, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
If you stop underage football after U19 a lot of lads could be left in limbo with having little or no football if they do not make the transition to senior straight away. I can't see a problem with running an U21 competition if a different time of year was found for it within calendar. With Portlaoise's dominance at senior level set to last for another decade or more it will probably be the last chance most footballers in Laois have of winning a county championship title with their club.     
Can they not play Junior? If they're not fit to at least be a sub for a Junior side at the age of 19, what are they planning on doing?

Jd

All underage  championships  should be played during  summer  when lads are off school/college and before club championship is up and running in earnest.  It's not like there's 20 games for each club  to play.......  how much football did lads of 19 play from March on to July.  Just club league I reckon.  Would 3 or 4 u20/21 matches  do any harm.  A few elite  players  might be affected  but not by a whole lot.  Shoehorning  it in in October when a lot of clubs are finished  3 or 4 weeks is an insult to the competition  in my opinion

clonadmad

Underage competitions played wholly during the school holidays are a pain in the arse from a mentor and scheduling viewpoint as you have any number of chaps away on hols and in the Gaeltacht.

More games could and should be played in September

Jd

And then you'll have lads playing with adult teams and away in college for the likes of u19 /20. There's no ideal time but an October start is a hike

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on October 03, 2018, 02:15:14 PM
Quote from: Laois Rising on October 03, 2018, 11:51:25 AM
Can they not play Junior? If they're not fit to at least be a sub for a Junior side at the age of 19, what are they planning on doing?
Have to agree with you.  If a chap isn't playing adult by 19, I think we can forget about him. 

Keyser Söze

We had a system that was working well and kept fellas playing until they were 21. Many had passed through college before they were overage. It was win-win for GAA clubs.
It was a simple system of 12/14/16/18/21.

One rule fucked it all up- changing the age that you were allowed play adult at from 16 to 17. (Are you listening L. O' Neill?).

Now we are pussyfooting around trying to rectify a self inflicted problem.
Some counties have changed like us to 11/13/15/17....some haven't. It's a joke trying to get challenge games.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 03, 2018, 10:38:37 PM
We had a system that was working well and kept fellas playing until they were 21. Many had passed through college before they were overage. It was win-win for GAA clubs.

One rule fucked it all up- changing the age that you were allowed play adult at from 16 to 17. (Are you listening L. O' Neill?).

Some counties have changed like us to 11/13/15/17....some haven't. It's a joke trying to get challenge games.
Agreed, it's a balls of a situation. But I do believe that if a fella isn't involved in an adult team of some sort by 19, then you've nearly lost him already.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on October 03, 2018, 10:43:14 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 03, 2018, 10:38:37 PM

[/quo
Agreed, it's a balls of a situation. But I do believe that if a fella isn't involved in an adult team of some sort by 19, then you've nearly lost him already.

You probably have, but the aim and ethos is community involvement and fellas who drifted a bit at 18/19 were often coaxed back at 20/21 to play with their mates.
The implications that "do-gooder" decision has had is very frustrating.
Even our feile teams- win their division in Laois & no match until the National competition
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......