Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Blue

Disappointing that no one has replied to Myles's request as to what going on behind the scene's regarding the Cavan Senior  Team for 2016, in particular the selectors that will be involved and any provisional squad for some really tough McKenna Cup matches.

rodney trotter

There is a backroom team assembled and has been for a while. They are probaly just going to announce it with the Panel for the Mckenna Cup in the next week or so.

Western Blue

Thanks Rodney, all appears to me a  a very low keyed build up to the 2016 season. Can we expect any outside big name appointments and is Eugene Keating back playing for us?

rodney trotter

I think the Coach who replaced McHale is from outside the County. They were waiting until Keating was finished with Kilmacud for the year, to see if he was committing for 2016. They were beaten today in the League final against St Vincents so might hear more about that in a while.

Westside

Good Cavan representation on the DCU Freshers A League winning side today with Matthew McKenna, Thomas Galligan, Pierce Smith and David Brady all involved (Cian McManus also involved). Think David Brady did well got a brace of goals and a few points, McKenna got a goal too.

scoopmine

We are Cavan had a tweet saying Jelly is back on the panel it then got deleted.

tommysmith

I think next year will be one to forget.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: scoopmine on December 15, 2015, 06:48:12 PM

Being reported on the radio this morning, apparently a report in the Sun newspaper quotes Terry Hyland as confirming this as true. A dark day for Cavan football in my opinion if true and perhaps even more worrying than his return itself, its surely a sign of overall desperation by Hyland.

cavan4sam

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 16, 2015, 07:50:22 AM
Quote from: scoopmine on December 15, 2015, 06:48:12 PM

Being reported on the radio this morning, apparently a report in the Sun newspaper quotes Terry Hyland as confirming this as true. A dark day for Cavan football in my opinion if true and perhaps even more worrying than his return itself, its surely a sign of overall desperation by Hyland.

This is exactly what it is.

Hyland will be gone after this season, a year too late in my opinion.

scoopmine

If he kicks a few scores will it all be forgotten? Probably a better free taker than Dunne as well. Injured a lot in the last 3 seasons will he get back to county fitness quickly..?

cavan4sam

Not doubting the ability of Seanie Johnston, we all know how good he can be but he was seen as a divisive member of the panel when he was there before and it's more his attitude that I would question.

Hasn't played very much since his return to Cavan Gaels either and did I hear correctly that he part of the management for Drumalee next year?

mylestheslasher

People make mistakes, Johnston made a massive mistake. However, to move on from a mistake there must be an acknowledgement of it. So for me Johnston owes the supporters an apology and if he is not willing to do this then I for one will be saving a lot of Diesel this year as I won't be going to any games and I dont say that lightly as I have been going to games for a long time.

Ollie

An apology! ;D ;D

I heard Johnston and the county board are organising a letter of apology and a box Roses for you personally Myles! :D :-*

In all seriousness, He was let go by the previous manager and tried to resurrect his inter-county career with Kildare but to no great success. Nobody in Cavan had any problem with Rory Gallagher or Gareth Smith trying similar moves. I know the latter has Cavan parents but he was born a Dub, living and working in Dublin and playing club football there is whole life.

Regardless of U21 titles we have, we certainly have not produced many scoring forwards in the past few years. Dunne, Jack Brady, Bud Fitz etc are not going to win us many games. We also don't have many free takers either. Relying on out make-shift Goalkeeper to score to late frees for us against Monaghan was just very naïve by the management.

I don't like the idea of drafting in 31 year olds either. It shouldn't hamper the prospects of younger lads like Hayes, David Brady or Ciaran Brady who will probably be drafted out of the panel for the second half of the league if the u21s are doing well.

Johnston could be the difference between a winning by a point instead of loosing by the same margin just like our last two encounters with Monaghan in the Championship.   

Itchy

Ollie- if you think SJ will make a difference in the claustrophobic ulster championship you are mistaken. Even at his prime he was poor against mass defence. Add to that all his baggage and I think this is a poor call by hyland. It does raise the question should Hyland have stopped last year as this stinks of a desperate man to me.

mrdeeds

Calling in a 31 year old who has barely played all year. A last roll of the dice by a desperate manager. A player who went out of his way to take a free against his native county on his bad foot.