Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

we may have been but unlucky this evening but the fact remains its been another terrible year in a long line of terrible years for Down football. its now going to be at least a 1/4 of a century since we won an ulster title. do you trust the men in charge to put things right?? we need changes and not just of manager but of the people at the top table, too many of the same faces are overseeing year after year of failure, not just at senior but at all levels of Down football.
nil satis nisi optimum

SHEEDY

going by dubh driochts report though everything is rosy.  ::)
nil satis nisi optimum

Dubh driocht

Sheedy, you usually have a bit more sense than that halfwit Smurfy but where did I say everything is rosy? Same question to you; were you at the game?
For you two lads who don't seem to understand English; the Down players on the field today gave their all. Fair play to them. It wasn't enough.
Now if you want to go back and read my posts you will see exactly what my views are about the state of Down football.

Itchy

Hard luck lads. Ye def were unlucky today but also you were playing against a cavan team coached by a complete clown. What we were trying to do in that game tactically I have no idea. The goal was the killer for ye but I also thought in last 5 ye had good shouts for frees turned away. Why didn't yer man fist over a point instead of going for goal. It would've been extra time and back to 15 a side and ye would've won I'm sure. Cavan going nowhere this year.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 23, 2018, 10:36:28 PM
Sheedy, you usually have a bit more sense than that halfwit Smurfy but where did I say everything is rosy? Same question to you; were you at the game?
For you two lads who don't seem to understand English; the Down players on the field today gave their all. Fair play to them. It wasn't enough.
Now if you want to go back and read my posts you will see exactly what my views are about the state of Down football.
apologies, just seemed from your post that our team played that well there was no way we could have lost. we played better just not as well as your report stated. the players gave their all but at the end of the day we lost to a poor cavan team.
nil satis nisi optimum

Cuan12

Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser, that sums up the reign of Eamonn Burns, may the lord above help us if he gets an extension or Deegan gets the post, if we haven't got the players now we need a management put in place that will plan for the future and our clubs have to encourage their better players to play for their county and as supporters we have to have patience , other choice is more of the same, the odd good league result , we should get a few in div 3 , a false hope come championship and another walloping in the first round proper, time for a radical reason think on how to make it better.

Smurfy123

Shut up DD. Down are and where horrendous this year.
Who is to blame ?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 23, 2018, 10:53:57 PM
Shut up DD. Down are and where horrendous this year.
Who is to blame ?

Put down the bottle and step away from the keyboard until tomorrow.

Smurfy123

Ogra do you disagree with what I am saying?
Read my posts from18 months ago

Mourne Rover

Today was a strange game which we should have won pulling up but a defeat may curiously enough be the best result for us . If we had got through to R3, there is a fair chance we would have come up against much stronger opposition and taken a hammering. Instead, we went down fighting in every sense, put back some pride in our jersey and can regroup for D3 next year.

We realistically have a limited squad, we lost probably our five best players to either cards or injuries in the course of the match with O'Hare missing out through injury from the start but Burns produced arguably his best coaching performance for Down, got his tactics right and used his subs effectively. He may well decide it is time to move on and if so he will leave with dignity and the respect of Down supporters.

Shane Harrison was almost entirely excellent, making a  huge improvement on our kickouts, but  like all keepers will unfortunately be remembered for his sole error. The rest of our defence were decent, with O'Hagan the star man all through and fine shifts from McAleenan and until an apparent hamstring Mooney.

Turley and Donnelly competed well at midfield and it was a pity that our discipline let us down further up the field. Connaire Harrison's black card was extremely harsh on a day when the referee let many other offences go, but McKernan is experienced enough not to talk back to officials and Johnston seemed to strike out at a time when we were in almost total control.

The dust up at the end did not look good but showed that our players cared and were prepared to stand up for each other. Hopefully there will be no further repercussions and the coverage on the Sunday Game tomorrow will be brief.

We are in D3 next season because we deserve to be there. It is up to us what we do about it.

Cuan12

It's up to us what we do about it, quote with regards to our forthcoming stay in div 3, personally I think we can get promoted at first time of asking but we need right panel of players, no more histrionics from players good enough to represent their county, no more inward thinking from clubs who would rather have their players save themselves for club championship campaigns, it's going to take a new management team with balls and the skill of seasoned diplomat , any nominations because Eamonn has tried and failed (again), Deegan is not the answer , so who's up for the job.

Ed Hardy

Bad way to end to an awful year for Down football, had that game in the bag and threw it away.  Battled back rightly after a bad 1st 20mins, took the likes of Benny McArdle, Turley, Maginn and the excellent Darren O Hagan to drag Down back into it when a few of the others were going through the motions. Harrison and McKernan should have known better but Ryan Johnson red card was ridiculous, he could have seen red a few times before it, and Down were well on top at that point, dont think he was playing particular well, but at that stage when we needed to play keep ball, hes exactly what we needed then he goes and does that, give Cavan all the momentum.. crazy from him. Doran, Madine and Miller battled rightly, felt sorry for S Harrison to be honest, had done well up to that, clanger, probably should have had a hat on playing into the Sun. (Basic stuff) Id say thats the end for a good few of those boys, hard to know what next year will bring hopefully tho we will get the right man in charge, getting out of Div3 is a must tho.

O Hanlon
O Hagan x 2
Mooney
Donnelly
Mc Parland
Milller x 2
C Harrison

There is the basis of a decent team there, if they can add  a few to that and get a few of the players who havent made themselves available for whatever reason involved then it would be a decent start atleast. Easier said that done tho, personally id like to see wee James take the job on again but hard to know if he'd be interested.

snoopdog

Discipline or lack of it is also a sign of a managers capabilities.Kevin mcKiernan is a very good footballer but how many games does he get black carded in. Most of them and he is an experienced footballer.Down seem to have discipline issues but Gaelic football in general has an overall problem.
Loosing narrowly to Cavan shows our level a once great county who Down have been doing their.best to emulate this last 25 years with year after year of mediocre performances bar 2010. I think most of us believe with the best 15 in the county on the pitch we still arent up to the standard of the top 3 but we could compete for Ulster. 
Wbo takes over? I dont know. Prob more relevant as to who wants it in the current climate. Rest assured it will be an underwhelmimg appointment . Yeaterday was the first time i felt little disappointment in defeat i go to the majority of games but travelling from Dublin to Enniskillen wasnt ever on the radar. Ive had enough.

Smurfy123

Down GAA need to make a decision this week on whether Eamon stays or goes. If he stays come out and say it and if not let's start looking for a new manager. The club championships start in 5 weeks time and would need to ideally be in place then.

Smurfy123

So the management will make a decision in the next few weeks
Meath 2 out
Roscommon 2
Louth 3 out
Monaghan 1
Armagh 3
Tipperary second string 2 out
Antrim 4 out
Derry 4 out

In 3 years that is the only teams that we have beaten
32 matches in league and championship and only 8 wins and the teams we have beat are all terrible with the exception of Roscommon and possibly Monaghan
Time for change