Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2016, 08:28:58 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 26, 2016, 05:46:23 PM
The Special one has signed for the Special club. Let the fun begin.

He's not special any more.

Amen
#newbridgeornowhere

trailer

I love to put JM in a microwave and put it on defrost setting.

screenexile

So De Gea has signed a contract extension . . . very strange!!

Must be easier to be a big fish in a shit team than go somewhere to actually try to win things!!!

oakleaflad

Quote from: screenexile on November 29, 2018, 04:27:57 PM

Must be easier to be a big fish in a shit team than go somewhere to actually try to win things!!!
He didn't that i'm aware of. United triggered a 1 year extension. Obvious thing to do given that he could sign for any club he liked come January if they didn't.

brokencrossbar1

The reality is that none of the Spanish big teams will want him, RM have Courtois, Athletico Oblak and Barca have Ter Stegen.  The only other 2 teams that could possibly afford him, and could attract him, are Juve or PSG.  I don't see either of them paying £100m for a goalkeeper.  I genuinely think he is with United for the long term as the reality is that in terms of club 'improvement' he can't go anywhere so he is better to just consolidate his current position and then build on that.

From the Bunker

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 29, 2018, 04:52:10 PM

The reality is that none of the Spanish big teams will want him, RM have Courtois, Athletico Oblak and Barca have Ter Stegen.  The only other 2 teams that could possibly afford him, and could attract him, are Juve or PSG.  I don't see either of them paying £100m for a goalkeeper.  I genuinely think he is with United for the long term as the reality is that in terms of club 'improvement' he can't go anywhere so he is better to just consolidate his current position and then build on that.

What about Man City?

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 29, 2018, 05:02:04 PM

What about Man City?

While he's probably a better shot stopper he doesn't have the passing ability of Ederson which would be of more use to City more than the 2/3 saves he'd have to make on average in a match.

Boycey

The club have just triggered their one year option on him, changes nothing really other than pushes things along to the summer where he'll go into the last year of a contract unless a new one is agreed.

He'll go for nothing like 100mill in the final year of contract I think Coutois went for about 30mill in the same situation last Summer. Plenty of options for him at 30/40 million, Atleti might cash in on Oblak and replace him with De Gea at half the price still rumblings Real would be keen too.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 29, 2018, 05:02:04 PM

What about Man City?

Bayern Munich considering the 'fall' of Neuer?

Cunny Funt

A player with the club 7 years and to stay a little longer is hardly strange.

DeGea has won every trophy in England with United. Staying with United hasn't stopped him from becoming Spain's number 1 keeper either. Shouldn't forget he was ridiculed when he first signed by United and has become one of the worlds best keepers. 18.9 million bargain if ever there was one.   

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 29, 2018, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: Boycey on November 28, 2018, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2018, 06:22:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 28, 2018, 05:24:50 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 28, 2018, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on November 28, 2018, 04:25:06 PM
Mourinho gets the boot - who's going to come in to replace him?

This is why he is still in the job.
He's still in the job because the club are ran by business men instead of football men. Once United can no longer reach the top 4 his contract will be terminated and if my calculations are right and going by current form that will be early April.  His replacement should be modern coach with a progressive philosophy that talks more about the team than himself.

In the event of the business decision being made to remove him who would you reckon might be the modern coach with a progressive philosophy who could fill the spot. Also in the event that they get this man in what happens if in 2 years time and £250m invested and they are still behind the top 3-4 teams? Reset and replace?

They only need to finish in top 4 bc, or in reality the top 4 every 2nd year as penalties don't kick in sponsorship deals unless they miss the Champions League two years in a row. The problem is where do get a manager who can handle the pressure, Mourinho who you would have thought was bomb proof seems broken by it..

If you weren't paying attention! Do I have to remind you of the self inflicted slide to oblivion that ended his previous job and cost him a hefty court payout? That team, who were champions a few months earlier, were hovering above the relegation zone when he eventually got sacked. Yet somehow people thought this was the right move for Manchester United? Lunacy.

Youre that keen to get the dig in at Mourinho that you missed completely the point I was making.

stiffler

Quote from: Boycey on November 29, 2018, 08:22:55 PM

He's still in the job because the club are ran by business men instead of football men. Once United can no longer reach the top 4 his contract will be terminated and if my calculations are right and going by current form that will be early April.  His replacement should be modern coach with a progressive philosophy that talks more about the team than himself.

In the event of the business decision being made to remove him who would you reckon might be the modern coach with a progressive philosophy who could fill the spot. Also in the event that they get this man in what happens if in 2 years time and £250m invested and they are still behind the top 3-4 teams? Reset and replace?

They only need to finish in top 4 bc, or in reality the top 4 every 2nd year as penalties don't kick in sponsorship deals unless they miss the Champions League two years in a row. The problem is where do get a manager who can handle the pressure, Mourinho who you would have thought was bomb proof seems broken by it..

If you weren't paying attention! Do I have to remind you of the self inflicted slide to oblivion that ended his previous job and cost him a hefty court payout? That team, who were champions a few months earlier, were hovering above the relegation zone when he eventually got sacked. Yet somehow people thought this was the right move for Manchester United? Lunacy.

Youre that keen to get the dig in at Mourinho that you missed completely the point I was making.

Get a room lads.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on November 29, 2018, 08:22:55 PM

You didn't make any point - all you did was state a few facts like the financial realities and that United manager is pressurised so you need a manager who can take pressure. Then you stated an assumption you had made about Mourinho - which I replied to expose as a flawed assumption.

There are many managers out there who can handle pressure better than Mourinho. In a pressurised job perhaps it's better not to continuosly court controvery and have yourself additionally under the microscope????

magpie seanie

Let me state this for those who don't realise it - I would have loved to be incorrect on this. I'd be delighted if United were back winning and playing good stuff. So what if it meant I had egg all over my face. I can't help it but I'm besotted by the club and it's history and traditions.....things I was taught as a kid by my neighbour - a United fanatic and absolute gentleman. Even in the 80's when another club that most of my mates supported was more successful I felt I was lucky to be a United supporter. Still do though the Mourinho period has, for me, been the toughest time of all.

I despise the owners. They shouldn't be there. That's a given. I sadly have to accept it is practically impossible now to get rid of them unless they sell to someone even richer than them who could possibly be worse. I think even with their ineptitude they can appoint a decent manager and Director of Football and get things rolling again. I don't believe the squad is as bad as many think....needs a few players but a new regime would be half the battle.

Genuinely sorry if I'm pissing folk off. That's not my intention but I'm passionate about this.

Boycey

Birds of a feather Seanie.

Only difference between my view and yours is how high up the list of culpable people we think Jose is. I genuinely think that until the structure/aims of the club changes we'll return to the same scenario in the next 2/3 years with any manager.

I don't agree with your assessment that Mourinho doesn't work well under pressure, his combustible/theatrical side is part of his psyche, if anything he's reined it in since he came to Utd. I think if a manager of his status, ego, bravado is struggling with the job a young up-and-coming coach might disappear altogether under the intolerable pressure.

Only other thing I can say to back up my view is say that I'm sure we'll all agree things are pretty average at present and if I thought getting rid of the manager was the solution I'd sacrifice the bollix in a minute as it's the easy/obvious thing to do.