The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

Mike Henchy spoke to lads at u14 regional football  finals last night and he was driving home that if you are a dual player then you stay playing both so I suppose that's a start too.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/coulter-takes-opportunity-to-shine-in-abu-dhabi-1.4099686?mode=amp

« Mention should also be made of Laois goalkeeper Enda Rowland, whose form between the posts in the county's McDonagh Cup-winning campaign earned him an All Star nomination.

Playing outfield here – with Cork's Anthony Nash taking the number one jersey – he scored four goals, which maybe gives Laois manager Eddie Brennan previously unconsidered options »
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Neutralobserver

ballyhale shamrocks an exceptional team as seen on sunday again and rathdowney/eirll not far off the rest of lenister teams. bodes well for our county teams this year hopefully.

clonadmad

Players from 14 clubs announced on the Laois u15 and u16 squads today

Players from 16 clubs on the u14 panel,well done to Portarlington with 4 lads on it

clonadmad

I did a quick tally of the players and their clubs across the 3 squads

The Harps have 17
Camross 11
Abbeyleix 10
Portlaoise 9

Clough Ballacolla 8
Rathdowney Errill 8
Castletown 8

Borris Kilcotton 7
Park Ratheniska Timahoe 6
Mountrath 5

Rosenallis 5
Emo 4
Portarlington 4

Ballyfin 3
Clonad 3
Clonaslee 3

Ballinakill 2
Shanahoe 1
Mountmellick 1
Kilcavan 1

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: clonadmad on December 12, 2019, 07:51:34 PM
I did a quick tally of the players and their clubs across the 3 squads...
Jayz. Lots of Harps! That's great!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

clonadmad

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on December 12, 2019, 08:26:18 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 12, 2019, 07:51:34 PM
I did a quick tally of the players and their clubs across the 3 squads...
Jayz. Lots of Harps! That's great!

I think while it's laudable to congratulate the Harps,by even this rough metric,it proves yet again the sterling work they are doing at juvenile.

But from my perspective,it's good to see the club base being broadened,the likes of Port contributing hurlers now and the concern in relation to Mountmellick.

Spiritof1915

Great to see laois underage hurling panelists coming from traditional football strongholds. HOPEFULLY this can promote the game further into these areas.
On a side note has anyone heard about the minor setup these year. Has Derek McGrath been able to put his stamp on the panel or is his role simply advisory.

Mad Mentor

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on December 13, 2019, 11:32:42 AM
Great to see laois underage hurling panelists coming from traditional football strongholds. HOPEFULLY this can promote the game further into these areas.
On a side note has anyone heard about the minor setup these year. Has Derek McGrath been able to put his stamp on the panel or is his role simply advisory.
There is a great buzz in the minor panel and Derek McGrath is very involved. Has been at almost every training session (two to three a week ) and runs the entire session. The lads love him and he has really inspired them. There is huge potential in this panel and competition is very strong. Some of the in house training matches have been at championship pace despite the conditions and weather this time of year. There are some challenge matches coming up in the next few weeks against other county teams that will be interesting. There has been great attendance from the full panel (about forty I think). 

clonadmad

Quote from: Mad Mentor on December 14, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
There is a great buzz in the minor panel and Derek McGrath is very involved. Has been at almost every training session (two to three a week ) and runs the entire session. The lads love him and he has really inspired them. There is huge potential in this panel and competition is very strong. Some of the in house training matches have been at championship pace despite the conditions and weather this time of year. There are some challenge matches coming up in the next few weeks against other county teams that will be interesting. There has been great attendance from the full panel (about forty I think).

I hope all that you say it's true,I really do

I hope to be looking back at your post in early July when we are in a Leinster final

Unlaoised

Quote from: Mad Mentor on December 14, 2019, 09:09:46 PM

While he has been there more than expected I think this post is way over the top numbers have been good but the training matches have been okay not near championship pace as you say .
The future however looks bright if we can bulk them up a bit
LAOIS ABÚ

Keyser Söze

Seems to be a marked attempt to both eulogise and discredit this particular management set up. I'd be dubious, but every post seems to be one end of the extreme or the other!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Blow-in

My source tells me only for Derek McGrath it would be a shambles

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Batman!!! on December 15, 2019, 12:26:13 PM
My source tells me only for Derek McGrath it would be a shambles
And is he there regularly?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

I'm only hearing positive things personally.
Not a shambles but then Batman may have higher expectations and demands more than I.

Derek McGrath has been at every training bar one. The players have been screened and have individual plans to complete between now and February. Numbers are high and training has been a mix of pitch and S&C work.
Its December; that all seems pretty good to me. I'm not really sure what more they should be doing.

There is certinly some personal resentment against the management team on here. The truth is probably somewhere between the polarised views we've seen over the last month or so. They're a committed group and have in Derek McGrath a very capable coach who seems to have taken the lead to all intents and purposes. Without him, I'd have had concerns but the fact remains we do have him and for as long ss he remains the dominant voice, that can only be a positive.
They could do everything right and still come up short in a quarter/semi-final. The added pressure and burden of expectation brought on by having a high-profile coach makes it hard for this group of players.

Very best of luck to them all. They're a talented bunch and hopefully they'll give a fair account of themselves this year.