Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on June 02, 2017, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 01, 2017, 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on June 01, 2017, 02:20:34 PM
We need to keep the heads down all it takes is a few good lads to turn it . Comerford and Podge Delaney need to be got on board off the minors for next year and keep building. Results seem to be going well at u16 u15 and u14 so we need to be patient. Anyone have more info on the u15s and who is showing well for them?
While its disappointing not to get any run going at U21, we must remember its about bringing through senior players, which we have done in spades already with this age group. We have obvious deficiencies, once again we need ball winners, and we need strong men in the air, and that needs to be worked on, but this group have matured admirably at senior level and that needs to be remembered. They'll be sick today, it'll have been a tough week, but time to let them recuperate now and for the senior squad to pull together for the qualifiers.

Whilst I agree with you  its frustrating to watch our players in hurling be dominated physically in every game we play at every grade for the last 20 years...

Just can;t figure out how we are so small and so weak in the air when it comes to hurling .We never seem to have that problem in football not that we get much success there either .

I agree. Back in the 80s and before we always had a reputation of being a physical side. Was more about the sheer mass of some of the players (PJ Cuddy for example) rather than an advanced strength and conditioning program! We need both though. Even when you look at Cheddar's team in their Prime we were very small and light. At least we have a lot of taller players coming through now and they are young so there is plenty of time to add bulk. It amazes me in Rugby how much bulk they can get onto players in a year without impacting pace and agility.

Unlaoised

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 02, 2017, 01:37:46 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on June 02, 2017, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 01, 2017, 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on June 01, 2017, 02:20:34 PM
We need to keep the heads down all it takes is a few good lads to turn it . Comerford and Podge Delaney need to be got on board off the minors for next year and keep building. Results seem to be going well at u16 u15 and u14 so we need to be patient. Anyone have more info on the u15s and who is showing well for them?
While its disappointing not to get any run going at U21, we must remember its about bringing through senior players, which we have done in spades already with this age group. We have obvious deficiencies, once again we need ball winners, and we need strong men in the air, and that needs to be worked on, but this group have matured admirably at senior level and that needs to be remembered. They'll be sick today, it'll have been a tough week, but time to let them recuperate now and for the senior squad to pull together for the qualifiers.

Whilst I agree with you  its frustrating to watch our players in hurling be dominated physically in every game we play at every grade for the last 20 years...

Just can;t figure out how we are so small and so weak in the air when it comes to hurling .We never seem to have that problem in football not that we get much success there either .

I agree. Back in the 80s and before we always had a reputation of being a physical side. Was more about the sheer mass of some of the players (PJ Cuddy for example) rather than an advanced strength and conditioning program! We need both though. Even when you look at Cheddar's team in their Prime we were very small and light. At least we have a lot of taller players coming through now and they are young so there is plenty of time to add bulk. It amazes me in Rugby how much bulk they can get onto players in a year without impacting pace and agility.

rugby is professional so everything is monitored ...Ie what they eat speed tests etc etc...

We are amateur's at the end of the day...The Dubs are just about professional as you will get in the football and they are on a par with those rugby players in speed and bulk ...its only when i saw them up close and personal in Nolan park last year i saw what a machine like outfit they were.

Still think our hurlers are behind when it comes to basic skill's of judging the high ball and fielding it for so many years even when we had a few big men.

As i said its frustrating to look at!
LAOIS ABÚ

burdizzo

Antrim or Carlow. I presume it'll be an away game?
We SHOULD be able for either of them...

SCFC

Quote from: burdizzo on June 06, 2017, 09:04:19 AM
Antrim or Carlow. I presume it'll be an away game?
We SHOULD be able for either of them...
We've had sod all luck in these draws. Westmeath got a feckin bye this morning!

welcomehome

i cannot believe this draw..laois won all there matches in qualifiers..Then they get wexford..,now they have to play either carlow or antrim..And westmeath get a bye..,to me this is so unfair...

burdizzo

Westmeath get a bye - to what, a game w/ a Munster heavy-weight? I'd much rather a game that can be won, that will get lads training w/ a bit of positivity, than a game w/ Tipp., or someone, who'd probably give Laois a hiding. And yes, it was unlucky to get Wexford having topped the group, but the shoe was on the other foot a couple of years ago when Westmeath (or was it Antrim?) got Wexford, and Leix got Offaly, despite not winning all their matches. You win some, you lose some. I suppose w/ a change of championship structure in the offing, we were unfortunate not to have a go at Offaly and book a place in the top tier - but how ready for that are we?

clonadmad

I'd be of the opinion that this draw is good for the team

4 championship games played already,this one is a fifth and very winnable,if we win it,we will have a sixth game

The more games this team gets the better to help with their development.

When if ever did laois play 5/6 championship games in a year

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

nothing wrong with the draw and I would prefer antrim as Carlow play with such negative tactics, it does little for improving a teams overall game.

if we do win this playoff, we cannot draw Tipperary........must be a losing semi finalist(except Wexford, if they lose on Saturday).

burdizzo

So we could be playing Offaly yet...
One step at a time, however!

clonadmad

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on June 06, 2017, 10:38:25 AM
nothing wrong with the draw and I would prefer antrim as Carlow play with such negative tactics, it does little for improving a teams overall game.

if we do win this playoff, we cannot draw Tipperary........must be a losing semi finalist(except Wexford, if they lose on Saturday).

we avoid beaten quarter finalists ie Tipp/Dublin/Westmeath and play only beaten semi finalists bar Wexford?.

so Limerick,

losers of Waterford/Cork,Offaly/Galway and KK if Wexford beat them

Target Man

We can play losing semifinalists or quarter finalists I think.
From the Gaa master fixtures.

All-Ireland  Championship 
24.06.2017  (Sat)   Preliminary  Round  (If  approved  at  Congress  2017) Christy Ring  Winner  2017  v  Leinster  Quarter-Final  Loser

01.07.2017  (Sat)   Round  1  (Knock  out)   This  round  shall  involve  the  eight  teams  defeated  in  the  Munster  and  Leinster  Quarter-Finals (Or  the  Preliminary  Round  Winner)  and  Semi-Finals.  Teams  shall  be  drawn  from  two  bowls which  shall  be  as  follows: Group  1 Four  Leinster  Championship  Teams. Group  2 Three  Munster  plus  one  Leinster  Championship  Team.   (The  Leinster  Championship  Team  to  be  included in the  Munster  Group  shall,  where feasible,  be  one  of  the  two  Teams  that  qualified for the  Leinster  Quarter-Finals through  the  Provincial  Qualifier  Group. If  however  both  of  these  Teams  qualify  for  the Leinster  Final,  then the  replacement  shall  be  one  of  the  Leinster  Teams  defeated by them.  An  initial  Draw  shall  be  made  to  determine  the  Team  from  the  Leinster championship  which  is  to  be  included in  Bowl  2) The  Teams  shall  play on  a  Knock-Out  basis.  A  Draw  of  four  pairings of  Group  1  v Group  2 Teams,  with  avoidance  of  Repeat  Pairings,  shall  be  made. Group  1  v  Group  2 Group  1  v  Group  2 Group  1  v  Group  2 Group  1  v  Group  2 Venues  shall  be  on  a  Home  or  Away basis  and  shall  be  determined  by  a  Draw.* The  four  Winners  shall  progress  to  Round  2.

County baller

If we beat Carlow/Antrim we are put into the Munster pot along with Tipperary, Limerick and the losers of Cork v Waterford. The 'Munster' teams are drawn against the Leinster teams which are Dublin, Westmeath and the losers of the two semi finals. Repeat fixtures are "to be avoided if possible" I'm unsure if our round robin game against Westmeath counts as a repeat fixture. So providing we win we likely play Offaly or Dublin...

Keyser Söze

Quote from: County baller on June 06, 2017, 07:32:55 PM
If we beat Carlow/Antrim we are put into the Munster pot along with Tipperary, Limerick and the losers of Cork v Waterford. The 'Munster' teams are drawn against the Leinster teams which are Dublin, Westmeath and the losers of the two semi finals. Repeat fixtures are "to be avoided if possible" I'm unsure if our round robin game against Westmeath counts as a repeat fixture. So providing we win we likely play Offaly or Dublin...

I think it's a good draw too. One thing though- couldn't it be Laois OR Westmeath who end up in the Munster pot?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

County baller

Yeah you're right it could've been either before the draw today. Essentially what the draw today was, was to decide who went into the Munster pot only to get into that pot you have to beat the Christy Ring Champions.

Ballygowen

Looks like Laois got the better side of the draw, yes they have an extra game and not been cocky here but they should beat either Carlow or Antrim. One thing though, and I know this is only a dream, but imagine if Laois had a season like Leicester City last year and won the All Ireland how many Championship Games would they of played in the season? 9 or 10? In comparison to say Kilkenny who play probably 4 games to win an all-Ireland. Kind of unfair really having to play nearly double the amount of games to win the same cup! As I said though, it's only a dream.  ;D