Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finbar o tool

Quote from: Don Draper on May 27, 2017, 11:09:31 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on May 27, 2017, 11:32:40 AM
i dont think we will be lacking in drive and intensity Sunday, but if we can get our decision making right under pressure, and cut off supply to Chin, then we could rattle Wexford.
Lee Chin plays midfield for Wexford. He may be picked full forward, but he rarely plays there. Up your game.

Sad. Even sadder that your sidekick at to chip in with a "lol".
We needed to cut off supply to Chin wherever he plays, he's instrumental for Wexford.

They were after goals goals goals today and we did well not to concede more than 1 in the first half. Were just not good enough at the moment and its as simple as that really.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on May 28, 2017, 05:34:16 PM
i dont think we will be lacking in drive and intensity Sunday, but if we can get our decision making right under pressure, and cut off supply to Chin, then we could rattle Wexford.
Lee Chin plays midfield for Wexford. He may be picked full forward, but he rarely plays there. Up your game.

We needed to cut off supply to Chin wherever he plays, he's instrumental for Wexford.

They were after goals goals goals today and we did well not to concede more than 1 in the first half. Were just not good enough at the moment and its as simple as that really.

Sidekick?  ;D

While you are correct in saying that we are not good enough at the moment, management did NOTHING to help today.
We had absolutely no shape or structure at the back and no presence in the centre of the field for the entire second half. I don't mean that the players there had no impact- I literally mean that we had no players in the centre of the field. The aforementioned Lee Chin stood at the centre point and collected ball after ball totally unmarked.

On our puckouts our wingbacks followed their wing forwards up beyond the centre of the field.
On their puckouts we had 8 players inside THEIR 65. This stopped the short puckout BUT the ball invariably went over their heads and (seeing as we now had nobody in the middle of the field) left their half forward line 1v1 under puckouts. We had a sweeper who did not seem to know where to be and I don't think he cleared a ball. Totally ineffective.

It should be an eye opening moment. We can play unstructured hurling v Westmeath, Kerry, Carlow and possibly Offaly and compete and win. Anyone above that will cut us to shreds as long as we play like this. It was juvenile in its naivety. I flagged this way back when we played Offaly in the league and our corner back followed their corner forward out the field (leaving 2v2 on OUR full back line) and Offaly scored 1-2 in the opening minutes as a direct result of the space created.

At times today there were Wexford players unmarked in the right half forward position for 3-4 phases of play. This was in front of me in the stand in the first half. It was about 3-4m away from the Laois technical area. Nobody was called to pick the free player up. I know it is not an U12 team but the sheer lack of any attempts to set up a solid rearguard today was disturbing.
If Wexford weren't so intent on getting goals they could have easily racked up 35 points.

Still there are some positives. We battled hard for 30mins before running out of steam. We took some good scores. Lee Cleere had a fine game. Paddy Purcell got a fantastic goal. Ciaran Collier held his own. Rowland made a series of very good saves.

Please god we don't get Tipp,and can we please attempt to shut things down and limit space in our own half the next day.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: finbar o tool on May 28, 2017, 05:34:16 PM

Keyser is no sidekick, he's a batman, not Robin.

Did Chin do untold from full forward today?

Cut off suppply from a fella playing a free role, you're a great thinker of the game.

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Thewildcat

lads Eamon Kelly is  poor , offaly had him last year and westmeath hurl them off the field. this year was different it was alot better with kevin Ryan at least he had them fit and up for it, unlike last year. look theres nothing between laois,offaly,westmeath but i think Kelly doesn't have a clue.
offaly also were well beaten last year by wexford in wexford park, he put Niall Wynne the smallest player on the offaly team fullback again Connor MCDonald iust clueless.

clonadmad

Quote from: Thewildcat on May 28, 2017, 10:53:35 PM
lads Eamon Kelly is  poor , offaly had him last year and westmeath hurl them off the field. this year was different it was alot better with kevin Ryan at least he had them fit and up for it, unlike last year. look theres nothing between laois,offaly,westmeath but i think Kelly doesn't have a clue.
offaly also were well beaten last year by wexford in wexford park, he put Niall Wynne the smallest player on the offaly team fullback again Connor MCDonald iust clueless.

So who would you have in his place then?

Keeping in mind our standing and lack of resources

redsetanta

One thing about yesterdays game is that Rowland is as brave as they come and puts his body on the line. Sean Downey another young man who gave 100% and really got stuck in. Ok yesterday was hard to watch in the second half as Wexford just strangled Laois in the end but there was a lot of young lads who should be proud of how they performed. Hopefully they can have a go at the U21 as we haven't done enough at this grade in recent years. Plenty to work on with these young fella's. Our bigger players couldn't get going yesterday and all in all Wexford were the cuter and knew what they could get away with. Maybe youth brings too much honesty. Disappointing to see Cha and Dunphy get the line. Both lads have the temperment that gets triggered when things aren't going their way. Cha can be stupid with some of the stuff he does as it's obvious. Willie get frustrated and lashes out although I didn't see what happened in his incident yesterday.
All in all well beaten in the end but not counteracting their free man in the first half didn't help.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on May 29, 2017, 11:09:35 AM
One thing about yesterdays game is that Rowland is as brave as they come and puts his body on the line. Sean Downey another young man who gave 100% and really got stuck in. Ok yesterday was hard to watch in the second half as Wexford just strangled Laois in the end but there was a lot of young lads who should be proud of how they performed. Hopefully they can have a go at the U21 as we haven't done enough at this grade in recent years. Plenty to work on with these young fella's. Our bigger players couldn't get going yesterday and all in all Wexford were the cuter and knew what they could get away with. Maybe youth brings too much honesty. Disappointing to see Cha and Dunphy get the line. Both lads have the temperment that gets triggered when things aren't going their way. Cha can be stupid with some of the stuff he does as it's obvious. Willie get frustrated and lashes out although I didn't see what happened in his incident yesterday.
All in all well beaten in the end but not counteracting their free man in the first half didn't help.
Just to clarify, because you said you didnt see what happened in one of the incidents. You're being a bit harsh on both Charlie and Willie. While both have previous, neither were completely in the wrong yesterday. Charlie was on a yellow and was in an altercation that he could do little about once it started, typical GAA, yellow cards for both, Charlie gone. Willie's was dangerous but I don't believe it was him lashing out either, the ball was there and he went for it and caught the player. Letter of the law, red card. But he didn't flake a man either.

Uisce

Disappointed yesterday after a good start, conceding the goal after we scored 3 points was an early blow. I felt the most obvious theme of the game yesterday was the Wexford backs winning most of the 50/50, 60/40 battles for possession. You couldn't fault the lads effort but it looked like Wexford were never in too much trouble after getting the lead. Anyone know when the draw is on?

burdizzo

Yes, it I t was a good start, and that goal knocked the good out of it. I know Rowland had a good game subsequently, but I think he was at fault for that one - one he came out for the ball, he needed to claim it.
In fairness, the defence did well enough to limit them to three goals.
The sweeper worked up to a point, but it obviously gave the forwards a lot of work to do w/ the numerical disadvantage. As soon as we reverted to normal, Wexford got their second goal.
The big advantage Wexford had, though, was size and strength - and a lot more depth to their panel.
I'd say the draw is after the provincial semi-finals.

Giovanni

Would agree with Don on the sendings off.

While Cha's was probably inevitable, I get the feeling that opponents are starting to just wind him up now and he needs to learn how to handle that. Having said that, his blood was obviously still boiling from a minute or two prior to the first yellow card, when the Wexford player tried (and failed) to drive him over the line and nevertheless, the linesman, who was looking at Cha's back at the time, decided to give the line ball. This kind of decision making is really very irritating.

As for the Willie Dunphy pull, I don't think he made contact with the player at all. Certainly he made contact with the ball. But just about 2 minutes before this pull, the Wexford No. 17 jumped into a glut of players and pulled very wild. Because there was a group of players there, it was missed but it was certainly much more deliberately nasty that Dunphy's pull. As someone said, it's really just a bit of cuteness.

Apart from some shitty decisions against us, I left OMP feeling that this is a decent group of lads. I thought Lee Cleere was really magnificent on McDonald and he really only opened up when Cleere went off. He played well despite being injured since early in the first half (again partly though a nasty (and deliberate) elbow into his thigh while both players were on the ground. He's going to be a fantastic defender though. The two midfielders too are a credit to the county. Collier too showed glimpses of class.

Wexford were a lot more physical than us but a few more years, if they all stick together, should sort that. I wouldn't be too down about that defeat yesterday.

The support that Laois had was great to see too. Just shows that the interest is there if the team is competitive.

Hopefully, we'll get a half decent draw now.

Unlaoised

Men against boys could been a lot more than 14 only for Rowland

The ref however made our job even harder

I dread to think what will happen if we draw Tipp

We lack so much in the physical side of things its not funny

How come we have no quigley o loughlin booth meaney or begley type players in the hurling its frustrating to look at the ball in the air and know well when it comes down a laois man wont be taking it clean or 9/10 times wont be strong enough to win the breaks either
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

How come? Because most of these lads are U-21. If they stick together it'll come.

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 29, 2017, 04:05:25 PM

How come we have no quigley o loughlin booth meaney or begley type players in the hurling its frustrating to look at the ball in the air and know well when it comes down a laois man wont be taking it clean or 9/10 times wont be strong enough to win the breaks either
Well we had an O Loughlin but he preferred football.

We had a Joe Fitz but he retired.

Give it a few years and our footballers wont have a Quigley, Booth, Meaney or Begley either.

I'd have been happier if we had decided against hurling ball down on top o Matt O Hanlon all day long, that'd have solved some of our problems.

Thewildcat

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 29, 2017, 04:05:25 PM

theses are the same players who have laois in division 4 next year :-[