Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

In light of the circumstances we could have lost by alot more. In reality Galway are a Div 1 team and we are Div3.

Injuries are crippling us at the moment but at least our scoring average is still better than Offaly and Kerry in the event that Offaly can beat Kerry. We will need to stay within 6 of Limerick next week though. Will Picky be back for that? I am assuming Cha will but Whelan probably won't make it.

Big job for Kelly to put a positive spin on the Galway result and get the lads up for the Limerick game.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Galway are the second best team in the country,the only ones who put it up to Tipp last year.

On their day,they are well capable of giving any team ranked 4 to 12 a hiding thats the reality....

We need Offaly to beat Kerry to ensure safety that's the bottom line,anything else and we will be playing a relegation final in Tullamore.

Unlaoised

26 points is about what I was expecting!
LAOIS ABÚ

gaastats

Last win: 1995 Laois 1-12 Limerick 0-12 @Gaelic Grounds
Last loss: 2016 Laois 1-12 Limerick 6-29 @Gaelic Grounds
Last win Laois: 1985 Laois 1-12 Limerick 0-12 @Rathdowney
Last loss Laois: 2014 Laois 1-13 Limerick 1-17 @OMP
Biggest win: 1926 Laois 6-1 Limerick 1-2
Biggest loss: 2016 Laois 1-12 Limerick 6-29
Biggest win in Laois: 1927 Laois 5-2 Limerick 2-2 @Portlaoise
Biggest loss in Laois: 1975 Laois 0-7 Limerick 5-14 @OMP

redsetanta

Team for tomorrow evening.

LAOIS
Enda Rowland (Abbeyleix)
Dwane Palmer (Camross)
Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)
Cahir Healy (Portlaoise)
Seán Downey (Ballinakill)
Paddy Purcell (Rathdowney Errill)
Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)
Cian Taylor (Portlaoise)
Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)
Aaron Dunphy (Borris-Kilcotton)
Cha Dwyer (Ballinakill)
Paddy Whelan (Borris-Kilcotton)
Ross King (Rathdowney-Errill)
Neil Foyle (Borris-Kilcotton)
Willie Dunphy (Clough-Ballacolla)

It's a pity that Maher is still out as he's been flying this year. Good to have Cha back. Hopefully we can give Limerick a good rattle. It would be a serious performance if we could get within 5 or 6 points of them after the hammering they gave us last year.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

I think the lads will give a good showing of themselves but i'd expect Limerick to be 8 points or so better.

They rested 9 players against Offaly (or changed 9 players)so alot depends on the team they put out...If its close to the team that hmeered Kerry we could be in for a rough night!
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on March 10, 2017, 10:43:21 AM
I think the lads will give a good showing of themselves but i'd expect Limerick to be 8 points or so better.

They rested 9 players against Offaly (or changed 9 players)so alot depends on the team they put out...If its close to the team that hmeered Kerry we could be in for a rough night!
They've made a few changes again but still aren't on a settled team. They've good talent there but are struggling to nail down a 15 from their big panel. It'll be possible to rattle them, but we need to hit them early for scores and physicality. Let them get a run on, and it could be a long night again.

redsetanta

We would need to get in for a goal early if possible similar to Offaly game. I think we should be targeting an early goal again and keep pressure on for as long as possible. We have to stay competing and keep their score down as it could make a huge difference at the end of the league.

blueandwhite1

It should be all about pressure and possession, never giving up on a ball and giving them no space when they have it. Hard to rack up 30 points if there is a man stuck to you when you try to strike the ball. If we don't have the ball there is no point thinking about scoring goals. Realistically, Limerick will win easily but personally would be happy if we can just make it difficult on them.

burdizzo

I wonder would Laois actually be better off getting relegated and build a young team in division two?

steven seagal

Was wondering the same thing myself coming out Burdizzo. To see the players so demoralised in the second half was tough to look at it, at present I don't see the benefits of us being in this Division. Especially when you look at the subs we had listed tonight, they were incredibly young, the age profile is only going to get lower over the next few years

Keyser Söze

In our last three games we have conceded
20 points (to 13 men)
31 points
33 points

And it was Cheddar who was reading the whole situation wrong by playing a sweeper.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Milltown Row2

Waterford have used it for past few years, why Laois think 15 on 15 man to man would work is beyond me! Build confidence get experience then you can work with that !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2017, 11:17:54 PM
Waterford have used it for past few years, why Laois think 15 on 15 man to man would work is beyond me! Build confidence get experience then you can work with that !

In Laois we know better.
The past 14-15 months have seen a huge number of senior players depart the scene.
This, apparently, was the time to transition to 15 on 15.

Against Offaly we even went 2 on 2 in our full back line for the first ten minutes.

We know better.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

ClashAsh

Quote from: Keyser Söze on March 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM
In our last three games we have conceded
20 points (to 13 men)
31 points
33 points

And it was Cheddar who was reading the whole situation wrong by playing a sweeper.

Unbelievable concession of scores for definite but just to balance the point regarding Cheddar and sweeper systems... The scoreline when Laois played Limerick last year (2016) under Cheddar was Limerick 6-29 to Laois 1-12 and that's with one sometimes quite often two sweepers in defence.

No difference really. Point is it doesn't really matter about sweepers and systems, players are simply not good enough and that's not taking from the huge effort they put in. Just not good enough full stop.