FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2015, 01:29:21 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on January 21, 2015, 01:18:31 AM
You know what.

Dont let me ever hear anyone say the FBD league is dead. This competition was reborn on Sunday. To see the delight in the Roscommon players eyes on the final whistle, well it would bring joy to any man. It just goes to show how wonderful the game of football is that on any given day anything can happen.
So the Ros have put down a marker for the year ahead. Just like they did last year and teh year before that.

Altogether now. We are Ros, We are Ros, We are we are we are ROS

It seems like everyone in Mayo are awful perturbed by an FBD game. More talk of markers being thrown than a stationary shop. There was a time (last year) when ye could lose this game without losing your heads completely. Methinks some part of you is very worried that the glory days are over for a while, FBD or no FBD.

Apart from the fact that we haven't had glory days for anybody under 80yrs of age, I see your point.
Few enough counties ever get a stab at the big prize. We ve had a few shots more than most counties could ever expect to have. This may not be palatable for some of us but there is a thread going through our misfortune.

Therefore it is only natural that what happened last Sunday would be alarming. H&C wanted this gig and the board wanted H&C (and I understand why). They ve taken over a serious team and they have to deliver. Simple as. Talk of rebuilding and putting their own stamp on things is pssshhh. Their brief is results - soon and often. They ve had their bad day and it cant happen again. They picked forwards the last day that were already shot. If they did that to play them off the panel ...... but if they re wheeled out again, forget about it.

seafoid

How many of the Ros 06 minors are still involved at senior level ?
That was one of the finest Ros wins ever, I think. Amazing match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1cSb36bc5E
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Looks like we're down to 4 - Carty, Keenan, Shine and Higgins with the latter 2 on the injured list. Keenan not seen in the FBD.Collins and O'Malley were subs in 06.
Some didn't make it, some went abroad and various other things.
How many of  Galway's 07 ones still there?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2015, 09:59:14 AM
Looks like we're down to 4 - Carty, Keenan, Shine and Higgins with the latter 2 on the injured list. Keenan not seen in the FBD.Collins and O'Malley were subs in 06.
even fewer

There were 3 of them on the 2011 under 21s who were closer to senior and took precedence.
But then the other 2013 under 21 all Ireland are in the mix too and a lot of them weren't good enough against the Mayo juggernaut.
Bringing players from underage is very hit and miss in Galway  and even worse in hurling. Kilkenny do it very well.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2015, 09:59:14 AM

Keenan was listed on the bench in McHale. Hopefully Evans is just resting him for the league and he isn't injured.

Shrewdness

Syferus, is David O'Gara gone off the panel, as you didn't list him above as one of the '06 minors still there.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 22, 2015, 01:46:26 PM
Syferus, is David O'Gara gone off the panel, as you didn't list him above as one of the '06 minors still there.

I'm not Rossfan but haven't seen him so far this year, he was there or there abouts last year. Honestly don't know.

Rossfan

It's my understanding only the named 4 left.
It's hard to believe 9 years

ross4life

Donal Ward another 2006 minor if my memory serves me right he played in minor league but was focused on boxing when the championship came around.

Due to work commitments in Dublin David O Gara is taking time out. David Keenan is regaining his fitness & might feature this Sunday. You could arguably say of the 2006 minors when fit & available D O Malley,N Carty,D Keenan,K Higgins,D Shine,D O Gara are all senior starters which is a good return for any group of minors.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on January 22, 2015, 09:14:43 PM
Donal Ward another 2006 minor if my memory serves me right he played in minor league but was focused on boxing when the championship came around.

Due to work commitments in Dublin David O Gara is taking time out. David Keenan is regaining his fitness & might feature this Sunday. You could arguably say of the 2006 minors when fit & available D O Malley,N Carty,D Keenan,K Higgins,D Shine,D O Gara are all senior starters which is a good return for any group of minors.

That s good going. Mayo only got 1 nailed on regular from the team that should have won in 08.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on January 22, 2015, 09:24:07 PM

That s good going. Mayo only got 1 nailed on regular from the team that should have won in 08.

Mayo have a good number of starters from your 2006 U21 All Ireland winning team though.  G Cafferkey, K Higgins; C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea all starters and others B Moran,M Ronaldson, M Conroy, E Varley,K O'Malley who should at least make your senior bench for the league this year. All of which is a fine return for any underage team.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

U21s are more likely to make it at Senior.
I think 14 of our U21 panel from 2012 played senior with 9 or 10 on this year's squad.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on January 22, 2015, 10:18:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 22, 2015, 09:24:07 PM

Mayo have a good number of starters from your 2006 U21 All Ireland winning team though.  G Cafferkey, K Higgins; C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea all starters and others B Moran,M Ronaldson, M Conroy, E Varley,K O'Malley who should at least make your senior bench for the league this year. All of which is a fine return for any underage team.

That still surprises me. A funny mix that. Conroy scored a goal on the carved-up team of 04. Higgins was a senior regular by 06 ( and arguably the best we ve had since 50/51). Boyle is up there as one of my favourite players ever. Ger Caff came in from a minor team that lost an AI minor team horribly a few months earlier.
The worrying thing is though that Conroy was dismissed by Maughan and ignored by Johnno. Johnno also nearly finished Boyle.

Rossfan

First silverware of 2015 up for grabs today, and then be forgotten by Tuesday.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2015, 09:55:10 AM
First silverware of 2015 up for grabs today, and then be forgotten by Tuesday*
*Except on planet syferus, until radio silence in july