Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: johnneycool on July 24, 2017, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 24, 2017, 08:41:54 AM
Semi-finals as follows:

Aug 6:  Galway v  Tipperary

Aug 13:  Cork v  Waterford

After Saturdays performance Tipp are still a bit off where they've been the last few years and I'd say Galway will be happier to face them in two weeks time than the first Sunday in September. I fancy the AI winners to come out of this semi-final. Galway still favourites due to the fact they haven't really been pushed and looked to have a few more gears to go, especially against Wexford. The main concern is how they start against Tipp, as they may be slow to get going. Their forwards should be able to get scores from the Tipp fullback line although Tipps forwards are still racking up big tallies as well. Galway by 5 for me.

Waterford are frustrating as hell (not as much as Clare though!) as they are so entrenched in their system of play that it can be their downfall especially when chasing the game. It must be soul destroying for Shanahan/Shane Bennett to spend a big part of the afternoon chasing shadows and seeing very little of the ball and watch it sail over your head all day. The sweeper can have a part to play but lordy, don't be shooting from all angles only to see a good few wides in the process. DeBurca's red card for messing with the helmet could prove expensive as he's vital to Waterford and will be a big loss against Cork. No doubt an appeal will be made shortly.
Round two against Cork, so it will be a matter of who's learned the most and improved the most. Cork have played well, but haven't (needed to) reached the levels they did against Tipp. Clare were in the game with them for long enough and is Clare's way done some awful stupid hurling to take the pressure back off Cork. Lehane, Harnedy, Cadogan and Horgan will all need good games for Cork to come through this semi IMO.

Galway/Waterford final for me, but DeBurca will be needed in the semi final though!
Clare backs didn't lay a hand on the Tipp forwards in PUC the last day
I'd expect Galway to give them a lot less space and Tipp's defence isn't good enough

I fully expect Waterford to come with a plan to shut down the free flowing Cork, but Waterford don't have the scoring accuracy needed to beat them

AZOffaly

Tough draw for Tipperary, as it was always going to be, but at this stage what else would you expect. I was kind of hoping for Galway as I feel if you are going to take them, then this is the time to do it. Galway have been coasting along, Tipp have been well below par but improving. If Galway were to qualify for the final, I expect them to beat whoever they face, even if Tipp had drawn Cork instead and made it through. I just think the few weeks layoff, with the smooth run in might leave Galway undercooked.

Of course there's reasons you wouldn't want Galway either. They are the best team left in the competition on paper, and their style is exactly what Tipp hate playing. They have skillful players, but they have size and power, and when Tipp get turned over, it's usually the size and power and 'want' that is the difference, Tipp are rarely out skilled. Galway know they have the measure of Tipp physically, and have the skill to take advantage, so they will rightly be favourites.

There are signs of life coming out of Tipp though. They are still All Ireland Champions, and I think they showed a bit of composure the last day to bounce back from the two goal salvo, and the run of Clare points in the second half. Clare helped them with some truly abysmal decisions and shooting, but Tipp looked like they were up for a bit of hard work. They'll need an extra gear in two weeks, but I wouldn't bet against them finding it.

north_antrim_hound

Tipp have got to the last four playing well below their best
If they have the stomach for a physical battle against Galway and hit the ground running it will be close
But the lose of Barrett is huge and might be their downfall
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

AZOffaly

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 24, 2017, 11:44:17 AM
If they have the stomach for a physical battle against Galway and hit the ground running it will be close

Barrett wasn't playing well though. People are going on about him, but he wasn't hurling well, and was playing for most of the Cork game and getting it very tight. I agree the full back line is an issue, but it was an issue when Barrett was playing too. He played against Galway in the League Final.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 10:21:11 AM
Tough draw for Tipperary, as it was always going to be, but at this stage what else would you expect. I was kind of hoping for Galway as I feel if you are going to take them, then this is the time to do it. Galway have been coasting along, Tipp have been well below par but improving. If Galway were to qualify for the final, I expect them to beat whoever they face, even if Tipp had drawn Cork instead and made it through. I just think the few weeks layoff, with the smooth run in might leave Galway undercooked.

Of course there's reasons you wouldn't want Galway either. They are the best team left in the competition on paper, and their style is exactly what Tipp hate playing. They have skillful players, but they have size and power, and when Tipp get turned over, it's usually the size and power and 'want' that is the difference, Tipp are rarely out skilled. Galway know they have the measure of Tipp physically, and have the skill to take advantage, so they will rightly be favourites.

There are signs of life coming out of Tipp though. They are still All Ireland Champions, and I think they showed a bit of composure the last day to bounce back from the two goal salvo, and the run of Clare points in the second half. Clare helped them with some truly abysmal decisions and shooting, but Tipp looked like they were up for a bit of hard work. They'll need an extra gear in two weeks, but I wouldn't bet against them finding it.
Tipp beat Galway by a point last year at thé semi final stage. I think Galway will be ready
I don't
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Oh they'll be ready mentally. I don't doubt that.

AZOffaly

Did I hear Conor Cooney went off playing for a team in New York last weekend?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 11:46:07 AM

Barrett wasn't playing well though. People are going on about him, but he wasn't hurling well, and was playing for most of the Cork game and getting it very tight. I agree the full back line is an issue, but it was an issue when Barrett was playing too. He played against Galway in the League Final.

I thought it was obvious I was referring to Barrett on last years form
He didn't train all winter and was coming into league final with no match fitness
Best corner back in the country when he had no ankle op and stays of the beer

AZOffaly

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 24, 2017, 02:14:39 PM

He didn't train all winter and was coming into league final with no match fitness

But he's still not at full fitness, and who knows about the beer situation. That's like saying I'd be a great corner forward if i was 10 yards quicker, had a better first touch and was fit. :)

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2017, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 24, 2017, 02:14:39 PM

But he's still not at full fitness, and who knows about the beer situation. That's like saying I'd be a great corner forward if i was 10 yards quicker, had a better first touch and was fit. :)

He lined out for holy cross at the weekend so maybe Imm looking at it better informed
The only reason Barrett was mentioned in the first place is the difference he makes to Tipp and their defence from last season to this one
He has been axed from the panel and quite rightly so
But his absence could be the difference between them getting past Galway or not
No need to reply I have my opinion firmly set on this one

AZOffaly

I'm living in Tipp. I know exactly what he did at the weekend. If you think he is inter county match fit, then you are raving. He lined out at wing back for Holycross in a club glorified tournament game, and scored 2 points.

You never mentioned Cathal Barrett of 'last year' was a big miss, in your initial post. You just said the loss of him could be the difference. My point is the loss of 2017 Cathal Barrett will not be the difference. Absolutely the loss of 2016 Cathal Barrett is a massive loss, but does the 2016 Cathal Barrett exist in 2017? I have my doubts.

seafoid

It look like he won't be hurling for Tipp again this year

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2017, 03:26:31 PM

Looks that way. Not a surprise. It might be better for TIpp in the long term too.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2017, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 26, 2017, 03:26:31 PM

Looks that way. Not a surprise. It might be better for TIpp in the long term too.
What's the story with him? I only know that he is a good hurler....