Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: mouview on July 22, 2017, 11:03:41 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 04:38:18 PM
After that it's well time that The Sunday Game panellists stop talking drivel about how good this year's championship is. The quality is scant this year if you ignore Cork who have brought something to the summer. Surely the All Ireland will between Cork and Galway who are the only teams capable of delivering fireworks in the finale, and at that Galway need to step it up because apart from the league final they've done nothing of note.
Why are you picking on Galway as blame for a poor c'ship? They've only lost 1 competitive game all year and won their last 5 or so by an average of over 10 points. When KK were doing that everyone was drooling about them. You have Galway on the brain I think.

Just in case you missed it...

Surely the All Ireland will between Cork and Galway who are the only teams capable of delivering fireworks in the finale.

I shudder to think how you get the idea of me blaming Galway for a poor championship out of that.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 08:29:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2017, 08:05:28 PM
I agree about the quality. KK and Tipp are off the boil. The Déise are average. Wexford and Limerick are lacking in quality as are the Dubs.

The last year where the championship was wide open, 2013, was a much better championship in terms of quality. Clare, obviously as they won the All Ireland, were very good. Cork were strong. The Dubs had their best season in decades and the scoreline in their AI semi was unflattering to them. Limerick had a good summer but probably didn't ride the gap between the Munster final and the AI semi too well. The qualifiers produced some good battles whereas this year they were more of a damp squib. As I said, Kilkenny only came back into it against Waterford because of the state the Deise made of their underpants. Even Offaly pushed Kilkenny and Waterford to a certain extent in 2013. The only really memorable match this year was Cork - Tipp and I suspect Cork are a good bit further on than they were at that stage. This year isn't going to go down as vintage anyway but if the All Ireland isn't a Cork - Galway affair with those two producing fireworks, then it's going to be a year that's quickly forgotten.
why?
cause ye didn't even reach the AI quarter final or leinster final?

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 22, 2017, 11:09:23 PM
I agree about the quality. KK and Tipp are off the boil. The Déise are average. Wexford and Limerick are lacking in quality as are the Dubs.

The last year where the championship was wide open, 2013, was a much better championship in terms of quality. Clare, obviously as they won the All Ireland, were very good. Cork were strong. The Dubs had their best season in decades and the scoreline in their AI semi was unflattering to them. Limerick had a good summer but probably didn't ride the gap between the Munster final and the AI semi too well. The qualifiers produced some good battles whereas this year they were more of a damp squib. As I said, Kilkenny only came back into it against Waterford because of the state the Deise made of their underpants. Even Offaly pushed Kilkenny and Waterford to a certain extent in 2013. The only really memorable match this year was Cork - Tipp and I suspect Cork are a good bit further on than they were at that stage. This year isn't going to go down as vintage anyway but if the All Ireland isn't a Cork - Galway affair with those two producing fireworks, then it's going to be a year that's quickly forgotten.
why?

Presumably you've seen a great Tipp side, a brilliant Waterford one, a superb Wexford one, a not too shabby Offaly and a Westmeath that set the world alight... like you saw Charlie Carter... all that and pink elephants too  ::).

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 11:17:32 PM

why?

Presumably you've seen a great Tipp side, a brilliant Waterford one, a superb Wexford one, a not too shabby Offaly and a Westmeath that set the world alight... like you saw Charlie Carter... all that and pink elephants too  ::).
ok.
enjoy the few months off county games.

mouview

After that it's well time that The Sunday Game panellists stop talking drivel about how good this year's championship is. The quality is scant this year if you ignore Cork who have brought something to the summer. Surely the All Ireland will between Cork and Galway who are the only teams capable of delivering fireworks in the finale, and at that Galway need to step it up because apart from the league final they've done nothing of note.

Highlight your final line please.

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 23, 2017, 10:24:50 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 22, 2017, 11:17:32 PM

why?

ok.
enjoy the few months off county games.

And being, as you claim to be, a neutral observer from Westmeath, what exactly is your county involvement for the next while?

Or, like the rest of your claims, is it more pigs in the sky stuff?

Kilkevan

Quote from: mouview on July 23, 2017, 10:26:39 AM

Highlight your final line please.

So you think Galway can win the All Ireland with the kind of performances they put in against Dublin, Offaly and Wexford... right enough so.

didlyi

There will be plenty of fireworks yet in the hurling. This year has been alot more intersting and compeditive than other years. Some people expect every hurling match to be a classic.

seafoid

Only 31000 at this match compared to 60k for the Leinster gfinal. Excitement levels have died down in Wexford
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2017, 05:00:31 PM
Only 31000 at this match compared to 60k for the Leinster gfinal. Excitement levels have died down in Wexford
no motorway to Cork!

yellowcard

Desperately scrappy game if hurled no.

Ball Hopper

Semi-finals as follows:

Aug 6:  Galway v  Tipperary

Aug 13:  Cork v  Waterford

laoislad

Would be great if it was a Galway Waterford Final.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tippabu

Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2017, 09:11:52 AM
Would be great if it was a Galway Waterford Final.

nah, dont think id be able bring myself to watch that!!!

johnneycool

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 24, 2017, 08:41:54 AM
Semi-finals as follows:

Aug 6:  Galway v  Tipperary

Aug 13:  Cork v  Waterford

After Saturdays performance Tipp are still a bit off where they've been the last few years and I'd say Galway will be happier to face them in two weeks time than the first Sunday in September. I fancy the AI winners to come out of this semi-final. Galway still favourites due to the fact they haven't really been pushed and looked to have a few more gears to go, especially against Wexford. The main concern is how they start against Tipp, as they may be slow to get going. Their forwards should be able to get scores from the Tipp fullback line although Tipps forwards are still racking up big tallies as well. Galway by 5 for me.

Waterford are frustrating as hell (not as much as Clare though!) as they are so entrenched in their system of play that it can be their downfall especially when chasing the game. It must be soul destroying for Shanahan/Shane Bennett to spend a big part of the afternoon chasing shadows and seeing very little of the ball and watch it sail over your head all day. The sweeper can have a part to play but lordy, don't be shooting from all angles only to see a good few wides in the process. DeBurca's red card for messing with the helmet could prove expensive as he's vital to Waterford and will be a big loss against Cork. No doubt an appeal will be made shortly.
Round two against Cork, so it will be a matter of who's learned the most and improved the most. Cork have played well, but haven't (needed to) reached the levels they did against Tipp. Clare were in the game with them for long enough and is Clare's way done some awful stupid hurling to take the pressure back off Cork. Lehane, Harnedy, Cadogan and Horgan will all need good games for Cork to come through this semi IMO.

Galway/Waterford final for me, but DeBurca will be needed in the semi final though!