Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

FT whistle saved Waterford, that was a dismal last 10 minutes form them. Totally went to pieces, doubt they have an All Ireland in them this year. Big rebuilding job in KK. Thought the ref was brutal
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:44:26 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:06:09 PM
So the cats are finished. Hard to believe.

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2017, 09:15:22 PM
Great game. Thought Waterford  had blown it.

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.
They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

I'd be happy if this Galway team won 1.

Would you ever cop yourself on and stop talking rubbish?
I agree fully with his comment

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 07:20:44 AM

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.
They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

Gael85

Quote from: johnneycool on July 07, 2017, 08:41:23 AM
Quote from: Roashter on July 03, 2017, 11:27:38 PM
Cork beat Tipp in the minor this evening in front of official attendance of 8,142!!
That's a phenomenal crowd for a minor game on a Monday evening.
And word on the street is that Thurles will be full on Sunday with over 70% clad in the blood & bandages. Expectation is high down south.

Munster final sold out allegedly.

Did wee Pat Fitz make a balls of the ticket allocation in Clare. He only asked for 1400 I read somewhere.

Cork have got their gander up and their hurlers carry a (fair weather) support that only the Dublin footballers could compete with. The GAA coffers will want to see them in Croke Park in August.

Heard that too. Definitely wouldn't have happened if Davy Fitz was still manager.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 08:56:42 AM

every team knows kilkenny do it
even Martin fogarty has mrntioned it

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 09:40:00 AM

Show me where he said it...

And get a grip, Kilkenny had no good players, they were just great cheats, that's sh1te talk if ever there was.

The only butt in the helmet I can recall is the one Henry got against Clare. In these days of TV cameras everywhere that kind of thing gets caught even if the referee doesn't see it. You've already shown your level by blowing off steam about children from Gowran in another thread so frankly when your bile extends to under 14s it's hard to take you seriously.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 10:25:50 AM

And get a grip, Kilkenny had no good players, they were just great cheats, that's sh1te talk if ever there was.

The only butt in the helmet I can recall is the one Henry got against Clare. In these days of TV cameras everywhere that kind of thing gets caught even if the referee doesn't see it. You've already shown your level by blowing off steam about children from Gowran in another thread so frankly when your bile extends to under 14s it's hard to take you seriously.
I saw a kilkenny minor half forward get away with it 3/4 times last Sunday in croker
I've been at enough.coaching demos to hear what Martin says

still annoyed Gowran were beaten in the final by a laois team?
move on

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 09, 2017, 12:32:54 PM

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 09, 2017, 10:25:50 AM

I saw a kilkenny minor half forward get away with it 3/4 times last Sunday in croker
I've been at enough.coaching demos to hear what Martin says

still annoyed Gowran were beaten in the final by a laois team?
move on

Ah, so this is like when you said Charlie Carter was there when he wasn't. Of course though, you say he was, without any evidence, but your word is golden sure. Same as Martin Fogarty said xyz at hurling demos which you were at but can't produce a scrap of evidence for. It happened cos you say it did. Then you cite a minor match, again attacking into children, which wasn't televised and you have no evidence for but again, it happened because you said it did. Hearsay, sorry lad but you can't go off that alone.

Now, let's look at our conversation on the feile.

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 17, 2017, 10:27:34 PM
Gowran beat Glynn-Barntown in Ferns this afternoon. daylight robbery with the referee totally out of his depth and the gowarn sideline (charlie carter & co) dictating frees and refereeing decisions

standard of Kilkenny and Wexford club teams in the competition is very high, even down in Division 4, 5, 6 etc

Getting a bit excited there eh!

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 18, 2017, 09:23:10 AM
your number 11 was a bully and was let away with fouling his player the whole game and got away with it. same for your big midfielder.

anyway, semi finals today

Calling under 14 players "bullies", that's classy!

Oh and for the record...

Quote from: Kilkevan on June 18, 2017, 10:19:58 AM
Ah would you stop, they're an under 14 team for goodness sake. Can we leave the playground "my Daddy's bigger than your Daddy" nonsense where it belongs?

There's me calling it what it was, an under 14s match, and there's you up above throwing your toys out of the pram about referees and "bullies" in a kids' match... Don't think I'm the type to get wound up over playground sport...

Again, I await your evidence for any of the rubbish you claim...

seafoid

Kilkenny under Cody always played on the edge. The great teams always do. There were 4 different opponents 06 to 09. Shock and awe kept repeats down. Timing is everything
  Plus sublime skill. It was never my little pony. Cody is a master of psychology.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 09, 2017, 01:24:51 PM
Kilkenny under Cody always played on the edge. The great teams always do. There were 4 different opponents 06 to 09. Shock and awe kept repeats down. Timing is everything
  Plus sublime skill. It was never my little pony. Cody is a master of psychology.

I don't often agree with what you say but I do 100% there. I have no problem with anyone saying Kilkenny played on the boundary of the rules. There are no greater masters in that regard than the All Blacks. Knowing how to go to the edge but not go over it is an art form in itself. What I don't agree with is people calling Kilkenny dirty. In Cody's time as manager of course there were times when Kilkenny transgressed the rules but to suggest Kilkenny won because of it is not correct. Neither is it right to say they were dirty. Every team crosses the line at times and every county could talk about dirty strokes and pulls by every other county in league and championship. Your own Galway are not the Care Bears either. The Kilkenny team under Cody, particularly from 06-09 was majestic and probably the best group of hurlers we'll ever see and they won because of sheer talent, and yes, that talent included the skill to push the rulebook to the maximum. I actually think that is a compliment as nobody is better at it than New Zealand in rugby union.

That people got sick of Kilkenny winning all the time is natural. Honestly, even on Noreside the thing had gone stale. The vibe that was there in 00, 02, 03, 06, 07, 08 and 09 had definitely waned by 14, 15. The Leinster Championship had come to mean pretty much nothing by 02, 03. I can't ever remember anyone getting excited about the league. This is Kilkenny's joint longest wait for an All Ireland under Cody and I suspect the next one, whenever it comes, will be a big deal again. A few barren Kilkenny years where Liam goes around the country will do the sport no harm, and that includes Kilkenny because success had become the norm rather than something special.

Kilkevan

Commentary on RTÉ 1 saying there's a strong breeze that will be to Clare's favour in the second half but I couldn't see any evidence of Cork getting an advantage from it. Cork are stronger throughout the field and I'd say they have this one. Need to eradicate ten minute spells with no points if they want to win Liam though.

PW Nally

+++++

Kilkevan

Clare weren't strong enough throughout. Cork showed some character in terms of hitting back any time Clare got even a small run on them. In terms of pure talent, it's Galway's to lose but they've still got to replicate the form shown in the league final. What will stand to Cork though is the fact they've been made to work in all three matches and are used to high intensity hurling now. Galway haven't had that workout yet so it will be interesting to see how they manage I when it arrives. I would say there are three obvious candidates, Tipperary, Cork and Galway and I'd say a Cork - Galway final is likely. Of the other three, if Clare could push on from their second half performance today and raise their level a bit, they have the hurlers to possibly make themselves the fourth possibility. Wexford and Waterford, much as I'd like to say different for the Model County, will get to a semi at best and then only with a good pinch of luck.

imtommygunn

If cork were to play tipp again i would fancy tipp.

It's down to 2 semi finalists and 4 in a knockout now isn't it? What way doesthedraw work? I assume 2 sides to it?

Kilkevan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 09, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
If cork were to play tipp again i would fancy tipp.

It's down to 2 semi finalists and 4 in a knockout now isn't it? What way doesthedraw work? I assume 2 sides to it?

Cork and Galway are waiting for the winners of the quarter finals. Tipp, Waterford, Clare and Wexford go into that stage. As none of them have played each other it's an open draw. The only technicality is provincial runner up must meet qualifier so it's Clare v Waterford/Tipp and Wexford v Waterford/Tipp. Depending on who progresses there will either be a draw for the semis or there won't. If Wexford progress they play Cork as they can't play Galway and one of the other three play Galway because they can't play Cork. However, obviously should two of Tipp, Waterford and Clare go through then the can't play Cork rule goes out of the window and there will have to be an open draw.