Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Roashter on July 03, 2017, 11:27:38 PM
Cork beat Tipp in the minor this evening in front of official attendance of 8,142!!
That's a phenomenal crowd for a minor game on a Monday evening.
And word on the street is that Thurles will be full on Sunday with over 70% clad in the blood & bandages. Expectation is high down south.

Munster final sold out allegedly.

Did wee Pat Fitz make a balls of the ticket allocation in Clare. He only asked for 1400 I read somewhere.

Cork have got their gander up and their hurlers carry a (fair weather) support that only the Dublin footballers could compete with. The GAA coffers will want to see them in Croke Park in August.

johnneycool

Clare lads are getting excited about Sunday and think they can spoil the Cork celebrations, but have they shown enough to date to suggest that they can?

They played in fits and starts against Limerick but looked comfortable enough but will need to put together a 70 minutes that they haven't mustered since 2013. Forwards wise they're pretty handy, Colm Galvin, O'Donnell, Kelly, Conlan, Podge Collins and a few others who probably haven't brought their U21 form to senior like Cunningham and Shangher. Problem will be how much pressure the same set of forwards are prepared to put on the Cork defence when they have the ball to make life easier for their own defence who may be a bit shaky. Cork forwards barring Harnedy aren't known for winning the 50/50's.
The expectations are very high in Cork considering where this team was 5 or 6 weeks ago, and a win is expected for the 40 odd thousand Corkonians making their way to Thurles. That normally would have a detrimental impact on a young hurler burdened with the added pressure, but Cork are Cork booy.

It could be an interesting tussle.

AZOffaly

If Tony Kelly hurls, Clare have a great chance, but he's not been himself since he came back from Ballyea.

Milltown Row2

Clare have underperformed since last winning the All Ireland... built up a bitta form so it should be a tight affair
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Clare have a lot of talent but have been disappointing this last few years. I thought when they dropped the sweeper system they would open up but haven't.

Kilkevan

Can't see anything other than a Tipp win tonight. In our qualifier I think we'll start better because we had the tougher run out last week and should be more match ready. That said, this season, I just can't see us getting over the line if Waterford get it together. Too many miles on old legs, not certain over who should start where, key players misfiring, this is as weak as Kilkenny have been under Cody. If it's tight at the end, I think the psychology of Kilkenny versus Waterford means we'll just get over the line but if I was betting on it I'd say Waterford by 5 or 6.

manfromdelmonte

I said it here before that Westmeath would beat Dublin at the moment and thats the way it looks

only for losing to Offaly by two crappy goals they could still be playing hurling in July

laoislad

Great game. Thought Waterford  had blown it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

So the cats are finished. Hard to believe.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

didlyi

My biggest fear was that KK , Cork and Tipp would win this weekend. Thanks you Waterford for the relief. Now Come on the banner!

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:06:09 PM

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2017, 09:15:22 PM

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.

seafoid

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 10:37:31 PM

If you live to be 100, you'll never see Galway win as many All Irelands as Cody has and that's what hurts you most.

In three championship matches we hurled for ten minutes, which got us back into the match with Waterford. Not good enough. We haven't the players anymore and there's a big rebuilding job to be done.
They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

I'd be happy if this Galway team won 1.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

orangeman

Waterford should have won this game in normal time by a good few. The fact that they didn't get the job dons was done to KK never say die attitude. Kilkenny were never going to be the force of old given the retirements and injuries. But they fought to the very end and could have sneaked it.

Best of luck to Waterford but they will have to improve on tonight's showing to go the whole road.

Kilkevan

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2017, 10:44:26 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 08, 2017, 10:37:31 PM

They were great but most people were sick of them by the end.   And I won't miss the dirt like the butt of the hurl inside the faceguard.

I'd be happy if this Galway team won 1.

Would you ever cop yourself on and stop talking rubbish?

Kilkevan

Quote from: orangeman on July 08, 2017, 11:23:24 PM
Waterford should have won this game in normal time by a good few. The fact that they didn't get the job dons was done to KK never say die attitude. Kilkenny were never going to be the force of old given the retirements and injuries. But they fought to the very end and could have sneaked it.

Best of luck to Waterford but they will have to improve on tonight's showing to go the whole road.

The one remaining thing I'm looking forward to in this championship is the land Waterford are going to get.