AIQF Armagh v Monaghan

Started by tonto1888, June 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2023, 09:15:21 AM
Quote from: statto on June 27, 2023, 09:09:45 AM
Be interesting to see what McGeeney does with Rian in this game.  I would personally play him midfield with Crealy who had a great second half against Galway and shift Mackin to wing back.  Murnin can act as a target man inside and Turbitt's pace will be suited to Croke Park. 

McCarron gave McKay the run around in Newry a few years ago so be interesting if he is tasked with job again, he is well improved and has had a good year to date. 

Monaghan have been pretty poor last couple of games but will have no fear of Armagh and will expect this to be a close game.  Armagh though I believe have a bit more quality up the top end which will hopefully see them over line.
Rian probably be named 14 and come out for large parts as usual. Have a feeling Morgan could be back for this one, him or Paddy Burns likely candidates for McCarron i reckon.

I would have Morgan ahead of Burns one concern would be Lane is whistle happy and if Morgan went up against McCarron may cough up too many frees.  McCambridge may be a wildcard here put McCarron on the back foot(as per Derry) and did notable marking jobs on Clifford and Walsh in league. 

rrhf

could see Armagh winning this after a tight first half handy enough...Monaghan have done brilliant to get this far but will be found out in Croke Park...

statto

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2023, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2023, 09:54:51 PM
This is the first game in a long long time following Armagh I am utterly convinced we will win and win well.

There is a lot of justification for this, Armagh should win. But there is a long record of Monaghan winning when weren't expected to, from the National League final in 1985, one of few things Monaghan ever won, to Clones in 2003 when Armagh were 10/1, to Casement in 2010 when only few Monaghan people bothered to go and they hammered us. Hopefully, Armagh are in the right frame of mind, they've drilled their defence but now is the time to get on the front foot ans show us what us fans think they can do.
Armagh got relegated
Armagh's manager
Armagh lost to Tyrone
Armagh beat  Galway who were banjaxed

versus

Monaghan didn't get relegated
Corey is doing a good job
Monaghan can pull a top drawer effort out when their backs are to the wall.

Thats right Galway didn't have a two week break like everyone else after round 2 ::)

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2023, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2023, 09:54:51 PM
This is the first game in a long long time following Armagh I am utterly convinced we will win and win well.

There is a lot of justification for this, Armagh should win. But there is a long record of Monaghan winning when weren't expected to, from the National League final in 1985, one of few things Monaghan ever won, to Clones in 2003 when Armagh were 10/1, to Casement in 2010 when only few Monaghan people bothered to go and they hammered us. Hopefully, Armagh are in the right frame of mind, they've drilled their defence but now is the time to get on the front foot ans show us what us fans think they can do.
Armagh got relegated
Armagh's manager
Armagh lost to Tyrone
Armagh beat  Galway who were banjaxed

versus

Monaghan didn't get relegated
Corey is doing a good job
Monaghan can pull a top drawer effort out when their backs are to the wall.

Armagh got relegated simply because Mayo played a shadow team against Monaghan in the last League match.
I'm not a fan of most of the type of football we have played this season but Geezer has done a good job overall.
Armagh should have beaten a Tyrone team away from home only for some very bad misses and playing with 14 men after losing our best player in the first half.
Armagh beat a previously unbeaten Galway team.

illdecide

My opinion for what it's worth is it's 55/45 in Armagh's favour but ever so slightly. Armagh have the benefit of the extra weeks rest and have had a few long term injured players back training this 3 weeks (Morgan, Kelly and O O'Neill) one of those 3 guys could well be thrown in or at least used as an impact sub at some stage. I don't think there is anything between the two teams and just shade it for Armagh for the above reasons.
Kildare should have beaten Monaghan out of the park last weekend and some of the misses were really bad...U10 stuff. Armagh will not miss those chances but Monaghan may well not serve those on a plate again. For me Lane the ref is the biggest factor...Armagh for me are now in the Ref's heads before a game starts regarding fouling and the Ref's will punish them on every chance they get, I do admit at times Armagh don't help their cause but you have to start a game totally impartial and neutral. It probably will go down to the wire and all i hope for is the best team on the day wins and it doesn't go to penalties. This is the first QF match i will have missed in 24 years so really disappointed and won't even get to watch it either as i'll be in transit...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

trailer

Monaghan at 2/1 is good value.
I think Armagh's reign as All Ireland Champions will come an end this weekend.

imtommygunn

illdecide refs blow you up for pulling and dragging because you pull and drag not preconceptions...

If you could nip this in the bud and be a bit more disciplined you could be a really good team.

I only saw highlights of Kildare Monaghan last night and Kildare missed a few shockers. Armagh *should* be fit to win this but in ulster matches like this favourites does not always mean anything.

yellowcard

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2023, 12:16:56 PM
My opinion for what it's worth is it's 55/45 in Armagh's favour but ever so slightly. Armagh have the benefit of the extra weeks rest and have had a few long term injured players back training this 3 weeks (Morgan, Kelly and O O'Neill) one of those 3 guys could well be thrown in or at least used as an impact sub at some stage. I don't think there is anything between the two teams and just shade it for Armagh for the above reasons.
Kildare should have beaten Monaghan out of the park last weekend and some of the misses were really bad...U10 stuff. Armagh will not miss those chances but Monaghan may well not serve those on a plate again. For me Lane the ref is the biggest factor...Armagh for me are now in the Ref's heads before a game starts regarding fouling and the Ref's will punish them on every chance they get, I do admit at times Armagh don't help their cause but you have to start a game totally impartial and neutral. It probably will go down to the wire and all i hope for is the best team on the day wins and it doesn't go to penalties. This is the first QF match i will have missed in 24 years so really disappointed and won't even get to watch it either as i'll be in transit...

I really hope we aren't going in with the preconceived thought that Lane is the biggest factor. Every referee has their common traits and it is up to us to be clever enough to adapt to suit the referees style. I'd be fairly certain that management will have this base covered for Saturday and that Lane will not become an issue. The biggest factor is still the 15-21 players performance not that of the referee.   

RedHand88

Theoretically would Armagh people be happy winning if it meant Tyrone beat Kerry?

AustinPowers

I think Armagh  are capable of beating  any of the teams left , but it  just depends on which  Armagh team turns up.  This season has been nothing but  Jekyll and Hyde performances  . Another Jekyll (or whichever one is the mad fella ) performance, and  that will be that  over for another  year

Schkite

Seems to be an awful lot of confidence from the Armagh crowd that they will win, and win convincingly no less. You'd swear they had a good bit of success and were seasoned campaigners at the business end of the championship to warrant such confidence. Or even a dominant record over us in recent years.

I dunno, Monaghan are certainly in a bit of transition with alot of youth being brought through and with it being Vinny's first year in charge, but I still think we've a great chance here in a 50/50 game.

statto

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2023, 12:16:56 PM
Having O O'Neill back playing football is great but given length of time he has been out I wouldn't expect much impact to next season. 

tonto1888

Quote from: Schkite on June 27, 2023, 12:54:25 PM
Seems to be an awful lot of confidence from the Armagh crowd that they will win, and win convincingly no less. You'd swear they had a good bit of success and were seasoned campaigners at the business end of the championship to warrant such confidence. Or even a dominant record over us in recent years.

I dunno, Monaghan are certainly in a bit of transition with alot of youth being brought through and with it being Vinny's first year in charge, but I still think we've a great chance here in a 50/50 game.

I dunno where it's coming from to be honest. I am quietly confident but the game could easily go either way. Just hope we are talking about the football come 8pm on Saturday and not the ref or off the ball incidents or whatever else

Armamike

Quote from: Schkite on June 27, 2023, 12:54:25 PM

It's 50/50 or thereabouts. Can make an argument for both teams. Both sets of supporters will sense it's one they can win.  Who knows.  Just hope there's no bloody extra time and penalties!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Solo_run

Armagh fans shouldn't be confident.

Monaghan will be delighted to be playing Armagh. Armagh's style of play will suit how Monaghan play and if it is a game that is close with 5 minutes left Monaghan are experts at closing out games whilst Armagh have seriously struggled with this. It is not something that can be taught over a few weeks, its years of experience. Armagh are not going to put points on Monaghan they are too well drilled for that.

We are too caught up in what Armagh are capable of rather than looking at it from the perspective of what we have actually done. Armagh have done a lot wrong this year and turning that on its head is going to take a huge team effort.