Referee Ratings

Started by Solo_run, July 25, 2017, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Is there any way the website could introduce some sort of referee rating system? 

It would be good to keep track of the good, the bad and the utter shite that goes on. Too many games seem to be decided on referees these days.

ONeill

A lot of spectators don't know the rules either.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Scarlet

The ref assessors should throw up the odd rating. The refs seem to be under far too much pressure from these guys.
These days every time there is a collision of note there is a yellow flashed. It's insane the amount of notebook activity in football.
Hurling refs simply ignore the rules and let them at it. In football the lads would happily bounce off each other too if they were let.
The refs are screwed eitger way in terms of pulling up everything and getting a good grade, even though they might ruin a gane, or letting it flow and not getting any more decent games..
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 25, 2017, 01:05:43 AM
The ref assessors should throw up the odd rating. The refs seem to be under far too much pressure from these guys.
These days every time there is a collision of note there is a yellow flashed. It's insane the amount of notebook activity in football.
Hurling refs simply ignore the rules and let them at it. In football the lads would happily bounce off each other too if they were let.
The refs are screwed eitger way in terms of pulling up everything and getting a good grade, even though they might ruin a gane, or letting it flow and not getting any more decent games..

Does anyone seriously want that? I want the skillful players protected, not an amateur game of rugby league to develop.

Hurling generally boils down to hoof the ball up the field, try to catch it and if not swing your hurl madly and throw it at the player if they're through on goal. Yes, there's plenty of skills involved but the whole sport's essence is in that one sentence. Some of the dirt in hurling makes football look tame, and not in a good way. Hurling refs are stone useless.

It's very simple and child-like tactically, if I'm being honest. When hurling managers discovered what sweepers were a few years ago (hilarious in itself) the hand wringing was something to behold and laugh at.

Captain Scarlet

Players need protection but fair hits seem to be pulled up these days. Half the lads are beasts and the managers let stuff flow in training that would see yellows flying in a game.

And people seriously want big hits if they are honest. A lad getting rattled with a shoulder fair and square always gets a roar.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 25, 2017, 02:32:00 AM
Players need protection but fair hits seem to be pulled up these days. Half the lads are beasts and the managers let stuff flow in training that would see yellows flying in a game.

And people seriously want big hits if they are honest. A lad getting rattled with a shoulder fair and square always gets a roar.

The cheers for a big hit pale in comparison to the ones for a perfect dispossess, a high catch, a beautiful kick pass or a well-worked score. Any ass with an arse can drop the shoulder. One side is essential, the other is not by any stretch.

Captain Scarlet

Of course a class score is great but this thread is about a ref which mean tackling and bodily contact and their interpretation of what constitutes a free, black or yellow is what we are talking about.

blewuporstuffed

The problem is that we have taken pretty much all incidental contact out of the game now. Every foul seems to be a card.
The effect of this as it has made it almost impossible to defend one vs one anymore , leading to managers looking for alternatives (the sweepers etc)
All the rule changes over the years to 'protect' the skillfull forward and promote attacking play has done the complete opposite and actually made the game more defensive.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rosnarun

right whose good name do we destroy first ( this the order on the GAA website not mine but look whose in last position)
Football - Championship Panel of 20:
Ciaran Branagan (An Dún)
Barry Cassidy (Doire)
David Coldrick (An Mhí)
Niall Cullen (Fear Manach)
Maurice Deegan (Laois)
Marty Duffy (Sligeach)
David Gough (An Mhí)
Jerome Henry (Maigh Eo)
Rory Hickey (An Clár)
Padraig Hughes (Ard Mhacha)
Sean Hurson (Tír Eoghan)
Fergal Kelly (An Longfort)
Conor Lane (Corcaigh)
Joe McQuillan (An Cabhán)
Noel Mooney (An Cabhán)
Paddy Neilan (Ros Comáin)
Anthony Nolan (Cill Mhantáin)
Derek O'Mahony (Tiobraid Árann)
Padraig O'Sullivan (Ciarraí)
Cormac Reilly (An Mhí)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

oliverkelly

Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 10:18:54 AM
right whose good name do we destroy first ( this the order on the GAA website not mine but look whose in last position)
Ciaran Branagan (An Dún)
Barry Cassidy (Doire)                      An absolute Joke of a ref
David Coldrick (An Mhí)                 
Maurice Deegan (Laois)                  Cant stand him, goes around smiling and laughing while ruining every game
Marty Duffy (Sligeach)                     
David Gough (An Mhí)                     The best around
Jerome Henry (Maigh Eo)
Rory Hickey (An Clár)
Sean Hurson (Tír Eoghan)
Conor Lane (Corcaigh)
Joe McQuillan (An Cabhán)                  Please god he will be good Sunday
Noel Mooney (An Cabhán)
Paddy Neilan (Ros Comáin)                 Had a nightmare last day out but done well in games up to that this year
Cormac Reilly (An Mhí)                         Needs glasses

Rossfan

An assessment system where applying the rules of the game is a major fault (as per the main contributor)??????
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 10:18:54 AM
Ciaran Branagan (An Dún)
Barry Cassidy (Doire)
David Coldrick (An Mhí)
Maurice Deegan (Laois)
Marty Duffy (Sligeach)
David Gough (An Mhí)
Jerome Henry (Maigh Eo)
Rory Hickey (An Clár)
Sean Hurson (Tír Eoghan)
Conor Lane (Corcaigh)
Joe McQuillan (An Cabhán)
Noel Mooney (An Cabhán)
Paddy Neilan (Ros Comáin)
Cormac Reilly (An Mhí)

Alphabetic order of surname obviously.  ::)

Fuzzman

Any time I've saw Paddy Neilan I thought he has been a total disaster, including the league final this year.
I understand he's new and young but jeepers some of his decisions are mind boggling.

I always thought Joe McQuillan got a hard time and wasn't a bad ref but his second half display in the Ulster final was terrible and you could see again how a ref seems to give soft frees to the losing team though he gave Tyrone a few strange decisions too.

There's no doubt it's a tough job and they do same a lot better connected now to their assistants and umpires. The not playing the full time allotted is a total disgrace in my book. Can you imagine if that was Tyrone/Kerry v  Dublin and Dublin lost by a point. There would be uproar but Cork seem to just accept it.

sligoman2

They would do a much better job if there was one in each half of the field. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

twohands!!!

One issue that drives me mad is people who don't know the rules, especially media folk.

RTE is very bad for this - there is a serious amount of the commentators/co-commentators/pundits who are utterly clueless and clearly don't know the rules properly - there was an incident within the last few weeks where the referee clearly made a mistake but the commentator and co-commentator didn't know the rules so they agreed it was the correct call. When you have mis-information like this floating around, it's no wonder large numbers of people watching get confused with referee decisions. It would be some craic if the GAA brought in a video evidence/citing rule for commentators/co-commentators.

By comparison on one of the games Sky were broadcasting at the weekend, there was an incident and either the commentator or co-commentator was able to recite (or at least read out) the actual wording of the rule which cleared the matter up straight away. I'll admit my heart sang a little.

Generally I find that those who have actually reffed games (even at U8/U10 level) tend to be a lot more forgiving and understanding about hard a job reffing a game actually is.

What drives me spare is the fact that the GAA don't allow linesmen and umpires at intercounty games help out the ref more.

A linesman or an umpire can tell a referee what he has seen in terms of an off-the-ball incident but he can't suggest a card or award a free-kick or a penalty. Utterly crazy stuff.

Also there are a ton of people when a debatable decision comes up immediately start talking about what the rule should be as opposed to what the actual rule-book currently says.

I'm not saying the rules are perfect by any means but conversations about what the rule should be are for another day - there's plenty of time to be discussing changes/improvements/tweaks on another day - the ref has to go by the rules currently in the book.