The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 19, 2018, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 19, 2018, 12:41:04 PM
Mignolet won't hang around to be back up. I'd say they'll keep Karius and sell Mignolet.
I see also Leicester are interested in taking Danny  Ward.

12m bid accepted apparently - madness

Good going for a EPL winning team ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersub

Quote from: trileacman on July 18, 2018, 07:52:18 PM
Quote from: supersub on July 16, 2018, 12:31:06 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 14, 2018, 11:47:18 AM
Quote from: Boycey on July 14, 2018, 11:01:48 AM
That's a strange attitude trilleac is a squad not what Liverpool have been lacking?

Not really no. We were lucky with injuries this year and had little need for depth in the squad. Most guys played a lot, didn't get injured and held their form. If you ask me out real priorities it's 1. 1st Choice Keeper 2. 1st choice Centre half 3. Add sub midfielder and sub striker.

We'd a huge squad when Klopp took over and after his 1st year he gutted it, a bloated squad of half interested prima-donna is of f**k all use to anyone and I think Klopp realises that. What you risk in terms of decimation by injury with a small squad you gain in a increased sense of camadarie and togetherness in the dressing room.

"Squad depth" is a buzz word I find used as a lazy analysis of why teams fail rather than getting to the root of the problem. A strong first 11 is better complimented by young, hungry if yet unproven group of subs who'll do what the manager wants rather than a slew of highly talented misfits sitting on fat salaries.

Uniteds glory years had at best a mid rate replacement side. Park, Smith, Fletcher,, Macheda, Saha, Anderson, Nani were all highly effective players off the bench at united who were found out as Bog standard hack merchants when moved further afield. United now have a star-studded, astronomically expensive bench who are probably less effective than the mid rate guys of 10 years ago.

Couldn't disagree more.

Squad depth is essential to mount a sustained challenge for honours on all fronts. Any team who has won and/or consistently been challenging for league titles have had at least 2 or 3 players on their bench every game capable of starting or who are equally as good as some of the players in the starting xi. Squad quality rather than just depth is what Liverpool have been missing. Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, City have all had this when competing at the top table.

UTD and Arsenal are at the top table but they aren't competing. Leicester won the PL with a good solid group of players, a star-studded bench is not a pre-requisite for PL success. Yes it is for wider, more prolonged involvement in several competitions at once but I want the PL above all else.

You have misread or misunderstood my post. When Utd and Arsenal were competing at the top table, as in when they were winning or challenging for titles. I'm not talking about now. I also mentioned consistently competing for titles. Leicester was a once off freak in more ways than one - where have they been since? That's also one out of 28 seasons?! So as stated to consistently compete you need a good squad. I agree I want the PL too but I don't want it once and then fade away like Leicester, or Blackburn. To compete and win consistently clearly takes huge quality throughout a squad.

dec

Live blog from today's preseason game

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2018-19/first-team/blackburn-rovers-v-liverpool-live-matchday-blog
60 Substitution Liverpool bring on Caoimhin Kelleher in place of Loris Karius, while Blackburn make a whole host of substitions.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/caoimhin-kelleher

Liverpool secured the services of talented Republic of Ireland youth international goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher in the summer of 2015. Caomhin, pronounced Quivine, was born in Cork, and features for the U18s and U23s. He joined the Academy from Ring Mahon Rangers and featured for Ireland U17s in the U17 European Championships.

laoislad

2-0 win tonight v Blackburn.
Markovic  :o   :o and Sturridge with the goals.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Barring injuries LFC now look like a serious outfit...
O'Neills Therapist

bennydorano

Did I hear right that he only established himself as Roma's #1 last season??? That would sound alarm bells for me tbh.

Minder

They have addressed their most pressing need and have not just went for the slightly better option than Karius, Butland, Pope etc, you can't do much more than that. They have shown huge intent

Last year he did not make a single error that led to a goal in 37 games for Roma, when is the last time Liverpool have had that quality of keeper?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2018, 10:30:59 PM
They have addressed their most pressing need and have not just went for the slightly better option than Karius, Butland, Pope etc, you can't do much more than that. They have shown huge intent

Last year he did not make a single error that led to a goal in 37 games for Roma, when is the last time Liverpool have had that quality of keeper?

Ray Clemence?
O'Neills Therapist

CornUladh02

It's gonna be your year this year lads!

gawa316

Excellent summer of business so far...would still like another attacking midfielder, especially with Ox being out. Klopp was quoted 'I don't think we will do anything more [in the market]', so that might be that or he is trying the old mind games with lyon's owners.

under the bar

Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2018, 10:30:59 PM

He didn't have Liverpool's back 4 standing in front of him last season tho....

Capt Pat

A potentially great signing for Liverpool. He could be worth an extra 10 points to Liverpool next season.