The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: supersub on July 25, 2020, 06:43:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2020, 11:39:31 PM
Quote from: supersub on July 24, 2020, 11:24:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2020, 11:09:24 PM
I think Liverpool fans are very good at understanding great players, they've had so many over the years.

Henderson isn't one and deep down they know that, a leader? Possibly, creative? Definitely not. Hard working? Definitely. Nice guy? Comes across very well.

Surprised he didn't have the under amour on with that pic above.

He certainly doesn't have the flair or finesse of a Gerrard or Dalglish. But I'll tell you something, you are no dud if you captain a team to a Premier League title after a 30 year void. He must be doing something right. The sum of his parts may not be as much as others, but by god he is an exceptional captain and integral part of that team's success. It can't be denied. De Byrne for eg. is a technically better footballer. But his team finished 20 points behind Liverpool.

This year they did but City have certainly dominated the league for years. Reminds of Noble from West Ham

Aye but the award is for this season which is exactly the point.

You talk about this team, both teams haven't changed really, City list a few through injury I suppose...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on July 24, 2020, 04:05:01 PM
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has won the Football Writers' Association Men's Footballer of the Year award.
Fantastic for him, and well deserved, would walk into any team in the league.
Captain of the best team in the world.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Quote from: laoislad on July 26, 2020, 03:23:34 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on July 24, 2020, 04:05:01 PM
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has won the Football Writers' Association Men's Footballer of the Year award.
Fantastic for him, and well deserved, would walk into any team in the league.
Captain of the best team in the world.

He might be captain of the "best team in the world", but I'm not sure Henderson gets much game time at City, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd or Wolves. He might be an intrinsic part of Liverpool's system but he has average technique and average athleticism, so I'm not sure how many managers would build him into their system.

Argue against that all you like. He's a decent spud. But he's an average player.

brokencrossbar1

I once recall Eric Cantona calling Didier Deschamps, captain of the french World Cup winning team, the 'water carrier'.  All great teams have a water carrier. Jordan is our water carrier. Happy for him to be

thewobbler

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 26, 2020, 03:34:19 PM
I once recall Eric Cantona calling Didier Deschamps, captain of the french World Cup winning team, the 'water carrier'.  All great teams have a water carrier. Jordan is our water carrier. Happy for him to be

Absolutely correct. And when you hear the silly money being discussed for Dier a few years ago and Declan Rice last year, there is a desire among managers to get one into their teams. Henderson is the same level of player as those two.

But when some Scouse fans become insistent that he is a quality player, they're wrong. He's okay. Nothing more, nothing less.

laoislad

gallsman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 26, 2020, 03:34:19 PM

Absolutely, which is why Deschamps won three FIFA World player of the year awards unlike a superior footballer such as, say Zinedine Zidane  ::) ::) ::)

I don't think many would dispute Henderson's role and importance to Liverpool this year, but trying to pretend he's been better than Mané, TAA or VVD is laughable.

laoislad

Nice to end off the season with another routine win.
99 points in total.
3rd and 4th place teams are nearer to relegated Bournemouth in terms of points than they are to Liverpool. ;D
Roll on next season,next year is our year (again)

Quote from: laoislad on July 26, 2020, 06:10:07 PM
Nice to end off the season with another routine win.
99 points in total.
3rd and 4th place teams are nearer to relegated Bournemouth in terms of points than they are to Liverpool. ;D
Roll on next season,next year is our year (again)

What a collapse from Leicester! Utd are starting to get their act together.
O'Neills Therapist

Armamike

Henderson is well deserving of any awards coming his way this season. Henderson is the driving force behind a team that has blitzed all before it in the league this season. That should be recognised.  But couldn't have argued if the award had gone to any of Mane, VVD, Trent, Robertson or De Bruyne either.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ned

Quote from: Armamike on July 26, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
Henderson is well deserving of any awards coming his way this season. Henderson is the driving force behind a team that has blitzed all before it in the league this season. That should be recognised.  But couldn't have argued if the award had gone to any of Mane, VVD, Trent, Robertson or De Bruyne either.

Some comments about Henderson are simply nuts. Of course he's not the most skilful or talented player in the league but very much a vital and influential player in the Liverpool team who have excelled these past two years. He has consistently done the job he's made for, better than any other player in that position. FFS football is about a team. Liverpool are not quite the same without Henderson. It's how it works, different types and styles of players for different positions. VVD was an essential buy for the defence, without him the last two years success would not happen. Firmino doesn't score like Mane or Salah but the other two need him to function as well as they do. Henderson is that vital cog, the fulcrum of one of Liverpool's best teams. Chances are, if you ask teammates about the best player they've played with he would be near the top.

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

Estimator

Quote from: ned on July 28, 2020, 07:03:29 AM

Some comments about Henderson are simply nuts. Of course he's not the most skilful or talented player in the league but very much a vital and influential player in the Liverpool team who have excelled these past two years. He has consistently done the job he's made for, better than any other player in that position. FFS football is about a team. Liverpool are not quite the same without Henderson. It's how it works, different types and styles of players for different positions. VVD was an essential buy for the defence, without him the last two years success would not happen. Firmino doesn't score like Mane or Salah but the other two need him to function as well as they do. Henderson is that vital cog, the fulcrum of one of Liverpool's best teams. Chances are, if you ask teammates about the best player they've played with he would be near the top.

I'd still suggest that if you set up a  poll of Liverpool fans only. With the question regarding which Liverpool player would you not want missing 10/12 games next season. Henderson would probably end up 5th behind Allison, VvD, Mane & Salah. Maybe even 7th behind TAA and Robertson. I wouldn't say Liverpool are weaker when he isn't in the side, but they definitely are weaker without the first 4 names mentioned.
Ulster League Champions 2009

supersub

Quote from: Estimator on July 29, 2020, 11:41:08 AM
Quote from: ned on July 28, 2020, 07:03:29 AM

I'd still suggest that if you set up a  poll of Liverpool fans only. With the question regarding which Liverpool player would you not want missing 10/12 games next season. Henderson would probably end up 5th behind Allison, VvD, Mane & Salah. Maybe even 7th behind TAA and Robertson. I wouldn't say Liverpool are weaker when he isn't in the side, but they definitely are weaker without the first 4 names mentioned.

Having watched every game this season, they were absolutely weaker without him. He more or less allows those more advanced players you mention to do their thing.

Gabriel_Hurl

I still maintain him getting sent off in the 93rd minute for a stupid foul against City in the 2013-14 season cost us the league that season.