The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

I'll go back if Marsdens back

mannix

Just thinking about cricket and thought it would annoy a few of you.

Main Street

Don't you know that some of us are 95% men, we don't know what people are thinking until they express themselves.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: mannix on April 15, 2008, 10:44:09 AM
Just thinking about cricket and thought it would annoy a few of you.

why would it do that?

mannix

because it annoys me that i would think of such a terrible sport.

Gabriel_Hurl

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

phpearse

apparently people that play cricket live longest of any sport playing person. Much longer life expectancy than golf which is surprising. team in the UK all over 70 playing in some league and they have all been together for since the team was formed when they were all in their 20s

thejuice

If I had to play cricket that long I'd want to die straight away.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mentalman

Ah, I think it's a decent game, but each to his own. Anybody see "Breaking Boundarys", the documentary about Ireland's World Cup yet? Great stuff, if RTE had any cumption they'd pick it up. The captain's speech during the Pakistan game is something else.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Main Street

I'd assume RTE will show it when the DVD sales drop to a trickle.
I saved the recordings of the 3 big matches, Zimbabwe, Pakistan and Bangladesh from the Sky coverage.
It's super viewing to treasure.
The pity was the death of Bob Wooler (understandably) overshadowing the aftermath of the finest triumph.

Norf Tyrone

Someone will probably come along and ball a political bouncer at this thread..... but feck em.

I see Ireland started out on the qualification for the 2011 World Cup with a great win over the Scots. The two North West lads, William Porterfield, and Boyd Rankin- practically an Owen Roes man- starring as Ireland cruised it.

A captain's knock from William Porterfield enabled Ireland to beat Scotland by seven wickets in their World Cup Qualifier opener in Benoni.

Neil McCallum's second ODI century helped Scotland reach a competitive score of 232 for seven but with Porterfield, who hit 101, and Eoin Morgan, who made 61, in fine form, it was never enough.

McCallum closed unbeaten on 121 in 138 balls after their batting line-up was put under severe pressure as Peter Connell and Boyd Rankin picked up two wickets early on before Kyle Coetzer (29) was caught by Eoin Morgan off Kevin O'Brien to leave Scotland at 68 for five.

McCallum hit back, dominating a stand of 86 for the seventh wicket with Craig Wright (19) to push Scotland towards respectability.

He hit 12 fours and three sixes before a late innings of 22 in 13 balls from Ian Stanger helped McCallum add 56 for the eighth wicket in the final five overs and one ball.

Alex Cusack was the other bowler to grab a wicket while Trent Johnston ran out Moeen Iqbal.

Porterfield was then in sublime form, smashing his 101 in just 89 balls, hitting 12 fours and three sixes and although opening partner Gary Wilson made just 14 before he was bowled by Calum MacLeod, the score was already on 43 and Ireland took the game well away from Scotland with Porterfield and Morgan adding 131 for the second wicket.

Morgan hit 61 in 54 balls, hitting three fours and five sixes before he was bowled by Ryan Watson; Porterfield was dismissed when he was bowled by Craig Smith, leaving Niall O'Brien (25 not out) and Andre Botha (15 not out) to complete the win.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone