The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Slow death there...

Bandwagon will resume in a few years again. 

Rossie11

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2015, 09:29:25 AM
Has to be said Ireland's bowlers are cat.
It's a very specific skill and one I think we are almost alien to in this country. Added to fact we are drawing from a very small pool means we will always struggle to find a top class one.
Getting test status and Boyd Rankin back would be a help short term.
Long term our stategy should be to try and develop some the "new Irish".
There is a sizable Pakistani and Indian population in Ireland. They will never take to rugby or soccer and very few are naturally taking to the GAA so there is an opportunity there to develop them.

Main Street

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 15, 2015, 12:10:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2015, 09:29:25 AM
Has to be said Ireland's bowlers are cat.
It's a very specific skill and one I think we are almost alien to in this country. Added to fact we are drawing from a very small pool means we will always struggle to find a top class one.
Getting test status and Boyd Rankin back would be a help short term.
Long term our stategy should be to try and develop some the "new Irish".
There is a sizable Pakistani and Indian population in Ireland. They will never take to rugby or soccer and very few are naturally taking to the GAA so there is an opportunity there to develop them.
Even if he wanted to, Rankin couldn't play for Ireland before 2018 when he would be 34 years old and past his best.

I note that the ICC eligibility criteria heavily discriminates against the associates and affiliates, e.g. along with having stiffer criteria standards  for them, the ICC restricts them to using just 2 players in total, who qualify through residency (not nationality) or have played for another full member  at underage level and upwards.

Rossie11

You sure about Rankin?
He hasn't played for Eng for 14 months. Thought I read he could be back in early 2016 if he reapplied now
Yeah the ICC are doing their best to keep it a closed shop

Main Street

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 15, 2015, 01:12:52 PM
You sure about Rankin?
He hasn't played for Eng for 14 months. Thought I read he could be back in early 2016 if he reapplied now
Yeah the ICC are doing their best to keep it a closed shop
I'm not sure about most things but I've learned a bit  from years of  manipulating reality to fake a support for my dodgy opinions.
Rankin last played for England  jan 2014,  as the rules stand now he will have to wait 4 years  until jan 2018 before he can play for Ireland.
http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cms/media/about_docs/523af0cd4a1db-Player%20Eligibility%20Rules%20-%20effective%2018%20September%202013.pdf

Rossie11

I think that 4 years has been reduced to 2. Either way we will need more than 1 good bowler to compete with the big boys

Main Street

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 15, 2015, 01:48:40 PM
I think that 4 years has been reduced to 2. Either way we will need more than 1 good bowler to compete with the big boys
Yeah, I see it now in the subsection paragraphs. The 4 years have been reduced to two,
section c nr 8

Player is seeking to return and play for the Associate or Affiliate Member that he originally played for prior to qualifying to play for a Full Member, the four year stand out period referred to in this Article 3.3.2 shall be reduced to two years;

Come back Boyd!

OgraAnDun

He's playing for England A as far as I'm aware, does that rule him out?

Main Street

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 15, 2015, 03:02:39 PM
He's playing for England A as far as I'm aware, does that rule him out?
It might count if he played in an A match of 3 or more days and this he hasn't.
I think he's good to go once he completes his 2 year first class intl cricket hiatus.

magpie seanie

Tim Murtagh has been a good bowler for us in the past and he got injured before the World Cup. They have to look at the eligibility criteria. It's plain daft at the moment. Regardless, I think we're going to keep getting better and better and if Boyd Rankin's experience (and to a lesser extent Joyce's and Morgan's) turns lads off declaring for England then that's great. On the flip side though we can't just wait four years for meaningful games.

nrico2006

Ireland need to sort out their bowlers and Rankin isn't a world beater anyway.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Absolutely cracking semi-final this morning between NZ and South Africa with the Black Caps winning with a ball to spare. The game ebbed and flowed with both teams looking likely to win at different stages. Hopefully Australia win on Thursday morning to give the tournament the final it deserves..

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on March 24, 2015, 10:13:06 PM
Absolutely cracking semi-final this morning between NZ and South Africa with the Black Caps winning with a ball to spare. The game ebbed and flowed with both teams looking likely to win at different stages. Hopefully Australia win on Thursday morning to give the tournament the final it deserves..

Strange comment? India are defending champs and have won all their games. Explosive batsmen as always and their bowlers have bowled out their opponents in their last 7 matches. Final would be at a neutral venue if India win.

lenny

Quote from: Boycey on March 24, 2015, 10:13:06 PM

I'm not sure this tournament deserves a great final because it has generally been dull. The semifinal on Tuesday was a complete exception as it was an unbelievable match. I do fancy australia to be too strong v india and they will also be strong favs at home in the final. They probably have more potetial match winners than NZ although I would love to see NZ do it.