The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 12:03:50 PM
Chases seem to follow no rhyme nor reason, so I don't mind them making a hash of it in the early overs. But why did they chose to bowl? I once read Allan Border saying that when deciding whether to bat or bowl, nine times out of ten he would choose to bat. The tenth time he would think about it and choose to bat. Seems even more important in these days of boshing batsmen.

Ireland seem to like a run chase though. They seem to get good innings from different people at different times which is a great thing to have I suppose. Wilson, Kevin O'B, Niall O'B, Joyce, Stirling, Porterfield can all hit a 50 or 70 in a 50 over match, and that's nice to have.

magpie seanie

Ireland seem to like to chase.

Apparently the fielding restrictions late on make things very heavily weighted in favour of the batting team so it seems the strategy is to dawdle along for 35 overs and preserve wickets and then go for it with the final powerplay and the last ten overs. Lots of teams adding 100 for the last 10 overs. This has to be partly the influence of the growth of T20.

We made a mistake not giving Dockrell his full allocation of overs and almost paid the price for it. Now we need one win out of the remaining 4 matches to go through.

deiseach

Is that their logic? If so, they need to stop believing their own publicity.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2015, 12:17:01 PM

Apparently the fielding restrictions late on make things very heavily weighted in favour of the batting team so it seems the strategy is to dawdle along for 35 overs and preserve wickets and then go for it with the final powerplay and the last ten overs. Lots of teams adding 100 for the last 10 overs. This has to be partly the influence of the growth of T20.

We made a mistake not giving Dockrell his full allocation of overs and almost paid the price for it. Now we need one win out of the remaining 4 matches to go through.
Will that be enough? The Windies beat Pakistan and so assuming India and SA win their remaining matches, if Pakistan beat us and Zimbabwe, and if we beat Zimbabwe, that should leave Windies, Pakistan and ourselves on 6 points each, down to run rate then?

AZOffaly

Did anyone see Ed Joyce's complete fluke where he was beaten and the ball hit the stumps, but the bail flew up and landed back on the stumps, so he wasn't out? I've never seen that in all my time watching cricket. (about 2 weeks all told :) )

deiseach

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 12:03:50 PM
Chases seem to follow no rhyme nor reason, so I don't mind them making a hash of it in the early overs. But why did they chose to bowl? I once read Allan Border saying that when deciding whether to bat or bowl, nine times out of ten he would choose to bat. The tenth time he would think about it and choose to bat. Seems even more important in these days of boshing batsmen.

Ireland seem to like a run chase though. They seem to get good innings from different people at different times which is a great thing to have I suppose. Wilson, Kevin O'B, Niall O'B, Joyce, Stirling, Porterfield can all hit a 50 or 70 in a 50 over match, and that's nice to have.
One to take to the pub for all you bandwagoners; "Ireland now have four of the top 10 highest run chases in World Cup history.*"

* From BBC Sport.

laoislad

So in football terms. Was beating the West Indies like beating Brazil and beating the UAE was like beating eh... The UAE?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Given the small numbers at the level we're talking about, a hurling comparison works better. Ireland beating the West Indies is like Waterford beating Tipperary, once undisputed masters of the game now trading on past glories but still capable of landing a knockout punch now and again. Ireland beating the UAE is like Waterford beating . . . ah. I'll stop there.

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 25, 2015, 01:14:02 PM
One to take to the pub for all you bandwagoners; "Ireland now have four of the top 10 highest run chases in World Cup history.*"

As someone noted in the comments on the Guardian's website, it speaks volumes for the quality of Ireland's batsmen and bowlers.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 25, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2015, 12:17:01 PM

Will that be enough? The Windies beat Pakistan and so assuming India and SA win their remaining matches, if Pakistan beat us and Zimbabwe, and if we beat Zimbabwe, that should leave Windies, Pakistan and ourselves on 6 points each, down to run rate then?

Yes but I still sting one win will get us through. If I'm honest I think we'll get two wins.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Owenmoresider

Not a 'Mayo for Sam' sign to be seen. Shameful.