The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: David McKeown on February 16, 2015, 09:09:14 AM
Good win for Ireland but the Windies are definitely a team in transition and were missing some key players particularly after the fiasco of leaving the India tour early last year. So all in all not a massive shock for an Irish side who have a good reputation of turning over at least one test side every World Cup.

But Ireland are also missing key players too in Rankin and Morgan.  For the next world cup Ireland are effectively competing against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh to get the 2 remaining top 10 places, and these two are no great shakes.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2015, 09:23:51 AM
Good win for Ireland but the Windies are definitely a team in transition and were missing some key players particularly after the fiasco of leaving the India tour early last year. So all in all not a massive shock for an Irish side who have a good reputation of turning over at least one test side every World Cup.

But Ireland are also missing key players too in Rankin and Morgan.  For the next world cup Ireland are effectively competing against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh to get the 2 remaining top 10 places, and these two are no great shakes.

Well, for the next World Cup you have England plus 7 other Test nations. Then the last 2 will be the weakest Test Nations, plus all the other associates, in a tournament in Bangladesh. That won't be easy.

David McKeown

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2015, 09:23:51 AM

Morgan is highly unlikely to play for Ireland again and whilst there's more chance with Rankin Id be surprised to see him in any kind of competitive match for Ireland. I'm not sure the 10 team format will last. There's plenty of opposition to it. Increasing it to 16 in 4 groups to reduce the number of matches might be the way to go.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

nrico2006

My point is that Ireland are not technically at full strength either, which is a shame.  Morgan and Rankin will not play for Ireland again, they have both played test cricket while Joyce never did. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

David McKeown

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2015, 09:45:12 AM
My point is that Ireland are not technically at full strength either, which is a shame.  Morgan and Rankin will not play for Ireland again, they have both played test cricket while Joyce never did.

Did Rankin play a test match, must have missed that, not that it really matters they would both be eligible to play for Ireland again 4 years after their last appearance for England.  For me their absence is completely different to a player who is injured or someone who has been shunned.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

nrico2006

Quote from: David McKeown on February 16, 2015, 10:21:56 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 16, 2015, 09:45:12 AM

Did Rankin play a test match, must have missed that, not that it really matters they would both be eligible to play for Ireland again 4 years after their last appearance for England.  For me their absence is completely different to a player who is injured or someone who has been shunned.

Aye, he played in the Ashes last year but didn't cover himself in glory.

Gabriel_Hurl

They changed the rule allowing players to return to an Associate team - it's only 2 years now and also the ICC can step in and give special dispensation to allow the player to return before the time period elapses . That happened in Ed Joyce's case

nrico2006

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 16, 2015, 11:50:13 AM
They changed the rule allowing players to return to an Associate team - it's only 2 years now and also the ICC can step in and give special dispensation to allow the player to return before the time period elapses . That happened in Ed Joyce's case

Aye, the rule has been changed but Rankin and Morgan both have good chances of making the test team so will continue to pursue this avenue - the door was basically shut on Joyce.

Denn Forever

We seem to like a Run chase.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/31484550

Ireland's World Cup win over West Indies surpassed their toppling of England four years ago and will make their Pool B rivals "very nervous", according to Graeme Swann.

Ireland chased 305 to beat the Windies by four wickets with 25 balls left in their opening match in Nelson.  Ireland's World Cup win over West Indies surpassed their toppling of England four years ago and will make their Pool B rivals "very nervous", according to Graeme Swann.

Ireland chased 305 to beat the Windies by four wickets with 25 balls left in their opening match in Nelson.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Oraisteach

Eamonnca1

What's an over? Is that every time a ball is bowled?

Agent Orange

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 16, 2015, 08:21:14 PM
What's an over? Is that every time a ball is bowled?

6 balls per over. 50 overs per game.

Eamonnca1

Ah, so a game can't last indefinitely? What if a batter stays in for a really long time? Can a batter theoretically stay in for a whole game?