Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on September 20, 2017, 03:08:12 PM
I don't think they liked Jimmy in RTE. He wasn't an Insider.  He wasn't like Ger Canning.
Jimmy got Michelle De Bruin very wrong as well.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh à anam

Hands up, who remembers "It's the man they call the Monster!".  And to whom was he referring?

From the Bunker

mrdeeds

Quote from: Boycey on September 20, 2017, 02:51:52 PM
Most of Jimmys iconic commentary's are non GAA related but given where he was brought up I'd say he came from a GAA background I wonder how come he did so little GAA commentary. Also as a child I remember the Jimmy Magee All Stars another GAA institution

He commentated on one for UTV. Was always his dream to do one and couldn't at RTE.

T Fearon

Probably due to the two Miceals

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 05:07:09 PM
Probably due to the two Miceals
He was in his 50s when MOH retired. Why did Canning get the job ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gaffer

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 20, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 20, 2017, 02:51:52 PM
Most of Jimmys iconic commentary's are non GAA related but given where he was brought up I'd say he came from a GAA background I wonder how come he did so little GAA commentary. Also as a child I remember the Jimmy Magee All Stars another GAA institution

He commentated on one for UTV. Was always his dream to do one and couldn't at RTE.

Utv employed him for two seasons i think in the mid 90s. He was their commentator during the time Tyrone got to all ireland final in 1995. He referred to Chris and Stephen Lawn as the front lawn and the back lawn.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

T Fearon

Probably due to the fact that he had more experience doing GAA commentary.Jimmy Magee was more of a presenter than a commentator,though he could do a fine job commentating as well.But all talent must be nurtured,and younger talent brought to the fore as well

Wildweasel74

As somebody else said, the Raging Bull has gone, funny for a man took some serious beatings he lived to 96 will his nemesis Sugar Ray Robinson passed away so many years back

Bord na Mona man

Jimmy Magee got Ireland knocked out of the 1990 and 1994 World cups.

SHEEDY

william g stewart, presenter of the quiz show 15 to 1 on channel 4.
nil satis nisi optimum

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 21, 2017, 06:01:13 PM
Loved that quiz.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 21, 2017, 08:31:55 PM
Loved that quiz.

Aye it and Countdown were essential viewing back in the day... Sandy Toksvig presents it now she's not in the same league as William G..

5 Sams

Quote from: Boycey on September 21, 2017, 09:37:13 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 21, 2017, 08:31:55 PM
Loved that quiz.

Aye it and Countdown were essential viewing back in the day... Sandy Toksvig presents it now she's not in the same league as William G..

15 to 1 is a good enough show though tough. Countdown on the other hand had/has two major advantages..I DO NOT apologise for the size of the pics ;D ;D

The Aristocrat Years

BennyHarp

Hadn't realised that Raging Bull Jake Lamotta passed away a couple of days ago. 95 was a fair old age for a man who had so many wars in the ring.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

15 to 1 is a shadow of the show it was under William G. Legend. RIP.