11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 12, 2017, 08:35:47 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 12, 2017, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2017, 06:57:50 PM
Where would loyalists get GAA jerseys to burn on bonfires ?

clotheslines?

I saw a picture on Facebook this morning of a bonfire (I don't think one from this year) which must have had the flag of each county in Ireland on it. To think someone went to the bother and expense of ordering 32 different flags just to burn them. Longford got pride of place at the top along with a few tricolours if anyone is interested.

I'd have put the Longford flag on top too!

quit yo jibbajabba

Mustve been in Derry. Amount o times them bastids have bate us ffs :P ;D

OgraAnDun

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 12, 2017, 08:53:40 PM
Mustve been in Derry. Amount o times them bastids have bate us ffs :P ;D

Probably Ruth Dudley Edward's crowd over in Monaghan after last year's loss.

Orior

Quote from: Hereiam on July 12, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

Violence at Orange Order Marches:

1796 – The Orange Order hold its first 'Twelfth of July' demonstration, commemorating the Battle of Aughrim.

1813 – The first recorded "Twelfth of July" sectarian riots erupt in Belfast.

1849 – As many as 20 Catholics are killed by soldiers during an Orange Parade at Dolly's Brae, near Castlewellan, Co Down.

1935 – Violence in Belfast lasting two months commences on this date; eleven people are killed. After an Orange Order parade decided to return to the city centre through a Catholic area instead of its usual route; the resulting violence left nine people dead. Over 2,000 Catholics were forced to leave their homes across Northern Ireland.

You've left out a lot of violence at Orange Parades in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

I hope everyone had a great 12th of July . Time to put the bowler hats away now
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

clotheslines?

I saw a picture on Facebook this morning of a bonfire (I don't think one from this year) which must have had the flag of each county in Ireland on it. To think someone went to the bother and expense of ordering 32 different flags just to burn them. Longford got pride of place at the top along with a few tricolours if anyone is interested.
Doubt they burnt a Laois flag with us being the Queens County. 
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: laoislad on July 12, 2017, 10:00:04 PM

clotheslines?

Doubt they burnt a Laois flag with us being the Queens County.
The Queen is a Fenian.
Wasn't she caught speaking Irish in Dublin ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Spent the 12th playing golf with 15 prods in Castleblaney... none of them were at the bonies
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2017, 09:54:03 PM
I hope everyone had a great 12th of July . Time to put the bowler hats away now

Hang on there. Sure there's the sham fight to come tomorrow...And about 4000 marches the rest of the year. Dust hardly gets time to settle on the old bowler.

PMG1

Spent the 12th on  the 10th floor of the city hospital with a great view of the sandy row / donegal road area. Great entertainment as there was a great 20 minute riot between 2 local factions outside the n.i. Rangers supporters club. They half killed each other with bottles and bricks flying, unconscious bodies lying about, people kicked on the ground while out cold, ambulances not being allowed access. It had to be seen to be believed but of course you won't hear about it on the news, you will see the wee children and their wee flags.  The 10th floor is for people having or recovering from bone marrow transplants, with a specially filtered air system.  The staff were extremely worried last night as the stench of the fumes from the bonfires was getting into the system and patients (incl my wife) were suffering from the fumes.  Hospital toilets were chock-a-block all day with drunken fools queing up to use them and security staff too afraid to stop them. But sure it's all good as long as the wee Billy's enjoyed their culture day.

Wildweasel74

They marched through Kilrea today, the town 80% catholic, of course Mr bright didn't bother to check where the parades where at and it took 45 mins and a 10mile diversion to get to my house in the town, f**king crazy stuff. Now its a  tolerate town, never any hassle outside of the John Dallat thing, which did happen.  but this (3000+) marching when hardly any are from the town or anywhere f**king near it for that matter is just to annoy the locals. No other reason.

PS its f**king worked

sid waddell

Thoroughly enjoyable highlights presentation on BBC WS there.

Presenter Helen Mark did a lovely job and I could just see her fitting in perfectly as presenter of something like the Balmoral festival - it's an absolute disgrace that it's not covered live anymore.

Orangemen are often unfairly characterised as dour and humourless, so it was interesting and perhaps surprising to see that all the banners on show had "LOL" written on them. They've certainly also showed that they are up to date with the age of social media too.

I see "KAT" was written on a lot of the bonfires yesterday and I can only agree with that sentiment - as a Dub, I think Kildare are tossers too.

Surely there's obvious sponsorship tie in for Club Orange with the Twelfth. Or would that be corporatising things too much?

What a pity the Linfield-Celtic match couldn't have gone ahead tonight.

It would have been the perfect ending to a wonderful family day out.

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on July 12, 2017, 11:54:41 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable highlights presentation on BBC WS there.

Presenter Helen Mark did a lovely job and I could just see her fitting in perfectly as presenter of something like the Balmoral festival - it's an absolute disgrace that it's not covered live anymore.

Orangemen are often unfairly characterised as dour and humourless, so it was interesting and perhaps surprising to see that all the banners on show had "LOL" written on them. They've certainly also showed that they are up to date with the age of social media too.

I see "KAT" was written on a lot of the bonfires yesterday and I can only agree with that sentiment - as a Dub, I think Kildare are t**sers too.

Surely there's obvious sponsorship tie in for Club Orange with the Twelfth. Or would that be corporatising things too much?

What a pity the Linfield-Celtic match couldn't have gone ahead tonight.

It would have been the perfect ending to a wonderful family day out.

I thought KAT meant the bonfires all came from Mooncoin.