European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

given that at least 12 of the 20 teams have as close to zero chance of making the top 6 as is sportingly or mathematically possible, it was zero until Leicester thankfully toppled the cart, then being 17 points off top and having no chance of winning the league with a quarter of the games left is piss poor in my books.......

but if one celebrates coming 4th then I suppose being in 3rd currently is a great season...

I feel Man City, Burnley, leicester, Bournemouth and Brighton have had excellent seasons

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on April 12, 2018, 04:02:09 PM
given that at least 12 of the 20 teams have as close to zero chance of making the top 6 as is sportingly or mathematically possible, it was zero until Leicester thankfully toppled the cart, then being 17 points off top and having no chance of winning the league with a quarter of the games left is piss poor in my books.......

but if one celebrates coming 4th then I suppose being in 3rd currently is a great season...

You are some man for jumping to extremes. I don't think 3rd is a 'great' season, I just don't think it's piss poor. And I think by any objective measure, you are just being hyperbolic for effect. So carry on.

I think finishing in the top 4, while addressing at least  some of the obvious issues, and reaching a CL semi final is a very acceptable season, and is a step forward.

If they had done that, and won a cup, or if they somehow won the CL, then it would become a very good season.

It will only be a great season when they win the league.

It becomes 'piss poor' when they finish outside the top 6, do nothing in Europe and win nothing at home. There have been a few piss poor seasons, and this is not one of them.

Gabriel_Hurl

That fella has a few issues - he's still annoyed that he didn't get an autograph from a 15 year old Rory McIlroy  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Orchard park

RELATIVELY piss poor was the term used originally.

i still contend not having any chance of winning the league with a quarter of the season to go is minimal "progress"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on April 12, 2018, 04:16:01 PM
RELATIVELY piss poor was the term used originally.

i still contend not having any chance of winning the league with a quarter of the season to go is minimal "progress"

Fair enough.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2018, 03:42:32 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 12, 2018, 03:39:59 PM
why would Liverpool not be classed the same as Roma, relatively piss poor in their own league and happy to have overachieved by reaching CL semi finals

'relatively piss poor'? Sheesh, that's a harsh scale of relativity. At the moment they are third.

Ha we're 2nd and shite beyond all belief... apparently  :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on April 12, 2018, 04:21:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2018, 03:42:32 PM
why would Liverpool not be classed the same as Roma, relatively piss poor in their own league and happy to have overachieved by reaching CL semi finals

'relatively piss poor'? Sheesh, that's a harsh scale of relativity. At the moment they are third.

Ha we're 2nd and shite beyond all belief... apparently  :)

I've never got that either :)

TabClear

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 12, 2018, 04:00:00 PM
Don't like the look of the Olympic Stadium in Kiev as a venue for the final. Has a running track which is always a buzzkill and then a path outside that about half the width of the track again. The seating is very gradually inclined and those in the upper deck, especially behind the goals will need binoculars as they'll be a couple of hundred metres away.

I would be delighted to have a reason to care!  ;) ;)

Cunny Funt

Tradition. Roma would be like Wexford in 2008 happy to have overachieved. Liverpool more like Galway, once they reach a semi final they would fancy their chances to win the cup as much as any team remaining.

Boycey

Quote from: TabClear on April 12, 2018, 04:23:27 PM
Don't like the look of the Olympic Stadium in Kiev as a venue for the final. Has a running track which is always a buzzkill and then a path outside that about half the width of the track again. The seating is very gradually inclined and those in the upper deck, especially behind the goals will need binoculars as they'll be a couple of hundred metres away.

I saw United play Kiev in it about 10 years ago, before it was renovated I don't remember it being too bad. The city and country itself was 'interesting' to say the least.. you can get a taxi driver to take you to Chernobyl if you like

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 12, 2018, 04:27:21 PM
Tradition. Roma would be like Wexford in 2008 happy to have overachieved. Liverpool more like Galway, once they reach a semi final they would fancy their chances to win the cup as much as any team remaining.

Roma have been knocking around the top of the Seria A and getting to European Cup knockout stages very regularly in recent years. In Nainggolan and De Rossi they have two of the finest box-to-box midfielders in the game, something Liverpool for example have sorely lacked in recent years.

Orchard park

am i right Roma have never made it this far before in champions league and Liverpool have only once ?????

to me both are in pretty unchartered territories then and neither should be settling for this alone especially Roma after beating the favourites

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Orchard park on April 12, 2018, 04:42:31 PM
am i right Roma have never made it this far before in champions league and Liverpool have only once ?????

to me both are in pretty unchartered territories then and neither should be settling for this alone especially Roma after beating the favourites
Off the top of my head Liverpool reach 2007 Champions league final and semi final in 2008. Roma last year were in the Europa league and were knocked out by Lyon in the round of 16.

TabClear

Quote from: Orchard park on April 12, 2018, 04:42:31 PM

Liverpool were finalists in 2005 and 2007. Semi in 2008. I'm pretty sure they were the Number 1 ranked team in Europe for a year going by the Uefa Coeefficient rankings

Asal Mor

Quote from: Boycey on April 12, 2018, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: TabClear on April 12, 2018, 04:23:27 PM

I saw United play Kiev in it about 10 years ago, before it was renovated I don't remember it being too bad. The city and country itself was 'interesting' to say the least.. you can get a taxi driver to take you to Chernobyl if you like
Many do make the trip apparently and it sounds fascinating. A cold war era ghost town being gradually reclaimed by the Eastern European forest with wolves,brown bears and lynx returning to the area now that it's free of humans. Seems radioactive waste is much better for nature than man.