E-Toll- Anyone got Problems?

Started by Off The Fence, August 27, 2008, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off The Fence

Couple of mates have being waiting for their tags this past 3 weeks and still no sign.  When they ring up looking about it nobody can help them!  Was listening to Matt Cooper last night and got confused even more by it all.  One caller rang in and said they thought they were confused by the Lisbon treaty until they tried to understand this.

What is the story with Northern Drivers? By the looks of it, they are going to get away scot free without paying anything!

feetofflames

Grrreat name 1 road in the north that we charge you bastards for?
Chief Wiggum

full back

Hardy

Donagh

Quote from: Off The Fence on August 27, 2008, 08:18:15 AM
What is the story with Northern Drivers? By the looks of it, they are going to get away scot free without paying anything!

This northerner went onto the website to buy credit and there was no option for selecting any six county addresses.

downgirl

Quote from: feetofflames on August 27, 2008, 08:37:59 AM
Grrreat name 1 road in the north that we charge you b**tards for?

But in fairness, what roads do we have that are of the same standard as tolled roads in the south and that bypass gridlocked areas??  I would rather pay the tolls than try to get through Dundalk/Drogheda, Dublin and especially Fermoy.  All they need now is a bypass round Abbeyleix.

Down Gael

Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2008, 09:56:46 AM

This northerner went onto the website to buy credit and there was no option for selecting any six county addresses.

All Non Irish i.e. UK/NI/Eastern European vehicles are exempt from tolls on the M50.
Anyone who is still waiting on their Eazypass /Epass will not be charged until they receive their pass. NI drivers already using an Easypass should remove their Eazypass from their windscreed when on the M50 or they will be charged.
Its a new system and there will be teething problems.

saffron

I got an easypass and have been using it - how do you know all Northern drivers are exempt?

Shamrock Shore

I went for eTrip and it works fine. Got it 2 days after I applied for it a few weeks ago. It's handier than some of the other ones cos it will also work in some carparks. There is a €1 per month standing charge but it's nothing to get too upset about.

ziggysego

Signed up for one on Monday. Let you know if/when it arrives. You got me nervous now though,
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

Northerners or people driving with non-irish plates are not exempt, there is no mechanism to track them down though, so you'd want to be an eejit to register to pay this, even if it were possible.
As for Downgirl talking about the quality of roads, the M50 is hardly a pleasurable driving experience and you'd be hard pressed to encounter the congestion in and around dublin anywhere in the north.
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 27, 2008, 11:04:03 AM
I went for eTrip and it works fine. Got it 2 days after I applied for it a few weeks ago. It's handier than some of the other ones cos it will also work in some carparks. There is a €1 per month standing charge but it's nothing to get too upset about.
You see that €1 a month is exactly the type of thing that does get me upset, the whole thing is ridiculous from start to finish - don't get me wrong, I'm as meek as the next man (i went with eazypass), but when this was 'bought' back by the government, there was no need to have a toll on it at all - it's been bought and paid for by the users over the past 18 years long ago - we don't need the govt using it as another stealth tax to make up revenue lost from their incompetence elsewhere.

saffron

QuoteNortherners or people driving with non-irish plates are not exempt, there is no mechanism to track them down though,

Thats what I thought but you can be sure they will keep a record of the plates and then look to find some mechanism to get the payment probably with the fine for non payment added. Think I'll just pay.

The whole thing is dumb - spending whatever tens of millions to put this in place when that money could be well spent somewhere else. Stupid system for a stupid idea. And if they want to impose a toll they could at least impose it for everyone using it and not just the people you use that bit. The Red Cow exit cost the most money and yet people using that and not going through the toll bridge pay nothing. You can actually go from Bray to the Galway exit and pay nothing.

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron on August 27, 2008, 11:41:08 AM
QuoteNortherners or people driving with non-irish plates are not exempt, there is no mechanism to track them down though,

Thats what I thought but you can be sure they will keep a record of the plates and then look to find some mechanism to get the payment probably with the fine for non payment added. Think I'll just pay.
I seriously wouldn't bother as they won't do that - it would be too complicated and couldn't be enforced, afaik they're quite happy to take this one on the chin as it'll mean so little in terms of lost revenue that it's irrelevant to them.

Gnevin

Quote from: Down Gael on August 27, 2008, 10:50:16 AM
Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2008, 09:56:46 AM

All Non Irish i.e. UK/NI/Eastern European vehicles are exempt from tolls on the M50.
Anyone who is still waiting on their Eazypass /Epass will not be charged until they receive their pass. NI drivers already using an Easypass should remove their Eazypass from their windscreed when on the M50 or they will be charged.
Its a new system and there will be teething problems.
Sorry but they aren't , EU vechicles will have to pay the charge
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 27, 2008, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: saffron on August 27, 2008, 11:41:08 AM

I seriously wouldn't bother as they won't do that - it would be too complicated and couldn't be enforced, afaik they're quite happy to take this one on the chin as it'll mean so little in terms of lost revenue that it's irrelevant to them.
Their is a mechanism to track them down!
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.