Big flat screen tvs

Started by his holiness nb, November 26, 2007, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

I'm looking to buy a flat screen, wall mountable tv. About 50 inch.
Saw a philips plasma screen, 50 inch for euro1500 in Harvey N & DID, haggled down to euro1400.

Is this a decent price or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm up north quite a bit with work so any suggestions for there are welcome.
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 26, 2007, 10:04:12 AM
Saw a philips plasma screen, 50 inch for euro1500 in Harvey N & DID, haggled down to euro1400.

More details please.
Make and Model, Is 1400 your limit or just a good price you seen?

Where you haggling like this?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Looking for a 32" - 36" flat screen myself, the picture quality always looks really bad in the showrooms, is this because they normally have one show sent to 20-30 different t.v's?  ???
Tbc....

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2007, 10:21:53 AM

More details please.

:D :D

I would say I am a worse haggler than Brian!!

Make / model ??? Not to techically minded when it comes to tellys Gnevin, I just want a big kick ass 50 inch telly to hang on the wall!!

1400 isnt the limit, this is what I was quote after haggling for the philips 50 inch plasma. Dont know the model.
Regarding plasma v lcd, I really dont have a clue. Once its a big f**ker with a good picture I',m happy!

Doesnt need to be HD ready.
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 26, 2007, 10:24:21 AM
Looking for a 32" - 36" flat screen myself, the picture quality always looks really bad in the showrooms, is this because they normally have one show sent to 20-30 different t.v's?  ???
http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-32D3000&site=odw_en_IE&imageType=Main&source=rss
http://www.samsung.com/ie/products/television/tftlcd/le26r87bdxxeu.asp

Are both good sets . Have one of each

My main advise would be to always test the tv the input sources your going to be using .

So if that's Sky and a set of rabbit ears so be it . So of these can be great on analogue but not digital and vice versa.

Make sure you've got at least 2 hdmi inputs. The PC input is useful too.

Make sure you lower the settings to normal in the show room , some can look great at 100% but will burn the eye out of you at home or will just kill the set
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

isourboydownyet

what would that be in £?around £1000 maybe,well if so thats a decent price for a fifty",if you push them they will give you a wall braket.philips is a decent set and well priced,other brands around that price would be samsung,great picture quality but sound is crap.
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 26, 2007, 10:24:21 AM

that could be the case but most decent showrooms will have hd pictures through there sets,makes selling a whole lot easier.stick to top brands ie sony,panasonic,jvc.dont go for the entry model of these brand as they wont be full hd and are pretty basic,a mid range jvc would be around £600 £650.

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 26, 2007, 10:29:20 AM

More details please.

Make / model ??? Not to techically minded when it comes to tellys Gnevin, I just want a big kick ass 50 inch telly to hang on the wall!!

1400 isnt the limit, this is what I was quote after haggling for the philips 50 inch plasma. Dont know the model.
Regarding plasma v lcd, I really dont have a clue. Once its a big f**ker with a good picture I',m happy!

http://www.samsung.com/ie/products/television/tftlcd/le37m87bdxxeu.asp is a good tv don't know it's 770 sterling on Amazon
All the TV should be HD ready now but if your spending 1400 + no point and getting some that will be out of date as you buy it

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ie/consumer/cc/_productid_50PFP5532D_05_IE_CONSUMER/widescreen-flat-TV+50PFP5532D-05
This is prob the set you where looking at if so i'd pick the samsung ahead of it

saffron

Richer Sounds behind Castle Court in belfast is a good place to go - was the cheapest I found and I searched (also make sure you haggle as they WILL give you money off). Also they say if you go over 36" it is better to get a plasma.

Gnevin

Quote from: saffron on November 26, 2007, 10:45:47 AM
Richer Sounds behind Castle Court in belfast is a good place to go - was the cheapest I found and I searched (also make sure you haggle as they WILL give you money off). Also they say if you go over 36" it is better to get a plasma.
Also called Rip off sounds , be careful with these lads so deals to be had and some duds in their too.

SeanSouth

This site is well worth a look before you take the plunge.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/

Gnevin

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2007/11/20/SIM2-Domino-D10-Projector/p1

Is this an option HHN, bit pricey (great quality in Sim2) but the whole projector thing?

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2007, 10:41:28 AM

More details please.

http://www.samsung.com/ie/products/television/tftlcd/le37m87bdxxeu.asp is a good tv don't know it's 770 sterling on Amazon
All the TV should be HD ready now but if your spending 1400 + no point and getting some that will be out of date as you buy it

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ie/consumer/cc/_productid_50PFP5532D_05_IE_CONSUMER/widescreen-flat-TV+50PFP5532D-05
This is prob the set you where looking at if so i'd pick the samsung ahead of it

gnevin do you not think the sound quality on the samsung is poor,we found that to be the case although there picture quality is excellent.

Gnevin

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 26, 2007, 10:58:36 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2007, 10:41:28 AM

More details please.

gnevin do you not think the sound quality on the samsung is poor,we found that to be the case although there picture quality is excellent.
Have never had any issue with and I play all my music on it too .

lynchbhoy

was considering the Sony x series 40" 100 mhz, 1080p (full HD) or the equiv from Samsung.
Down here these are about 1900 fo the sony and 1600 for the Samsung (which is on offer at the moment in curry's/dixons for 1600 inc home theatre kit).
I would have thought a home theatre kit would negate any sound problems with the samsung ?

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 26, 2007, 11:34:28 AM
was considering the Sony x series 40" 100 mhz, 1080p (full HD) or the equiv from Samsung.
Down here these are about 1900 fo the sony and 1600 for the Samsung (which is on offer at the moment in curry's/dixons for 1600 inc home theatre kit).
I would have thought a home theatre kit would negate any sound problems with the samsung ?

The x series is a quality set aright. Using a home cinema kit would get around any sound issues .