2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Poorest performance of the league so far by Galway yesterday in the first half, weren't at the pitch of the game at all really I thought, some of the poor shot selections (e.g. Kyne) and mistakes (e.g. Brannigan double hop when in a good position) in the first 35 were not what they had displayed in the first four games where good economy in front of the posts was generally the norm, a lot of bad wides yesterday.
Monaghan were looking much the more likely winners heading into the tail end of the first half. The sending off completely changed the terms of engagement for the match and - to be fair - Galway exploited the man advantage very successfully in the second half.

What to do with Shane Walsh? Will he ever learn to just do the simple things well? You don't have to showcase your talent at all time, the easy pass or shot that 90% of players can execute is sometimes all that's necessary in a situation. It's getting to the point where it should have clicked for him at this stage, he's either going to be a 4/10 or a 9/10 depending on the day, a 7/10 every day might be more preferable. While harsh it was a bit of a mé feiner performance from him yesterday, it's just more frustrating when someone has the ability and doesn't execute I guess.
Overall again securing primary possession is a continuing problem, I don't know if the solution will be found this year by the looks of it, it's the one real killer looking to the summer, we'd give any team outside of the top 4 a game if this problem was fixed or at least mitigated to an extent that is wasn't the glaring problem.
It's good to have complaints while winning but I'm sure that it's the same things that the management and players are focussed on themselves. If you'd offered this set of results at the start of the league to any Galway football fan we'd have took the hand off you. Contrast Galway with our fellow 2017 Division 2 finalists, it might only be the league but there is nothing to be said for losing every week.
Kyne and Kerins played very well defensively yesterday, Heaney was also excellent I thought, what a superb score from the mark and long sideline run in the first half, if it was a Kerryman or Dub that scored it their media heads would be fawning over it. Comer was effective when in possession, Brannigan was back to decent form in the second half as well.

I'll be heading to Salthill with trepidation for next week but it's better that the weak links are fully exposed ahead of May 13th. People are talking about psychological damage from taking a pasting from Dublin but they battered Kerry by 12 (it could have been 18/20) yesterday and they can do it to any team.
I could be very wrong but I don't think there's any better prep for the team ahead of May 13th than two matches against the Dubs, trying to match them is the standard Mayo have lifted themselves to every year since 2012, this is where Galway are looking to get to.

Speaking of Dublin, I was in CP for the Dublin-Kerry match yesterday and the bottom line is that unless Mayo have a massive performance in a win or go home game next August/September against the Dubs, I can't see them being caught by anyone, they toyed with Kerry yesterday and taking into account the list of players that didn't tog out for them, it's hard to believe how far out in front of everyone they are in terms of quality throughout a squad.
The Galway lads will surely know what the gold standard to aspire to is after the league final on the 1st April, hopefully Galway Aprils Fools day related headlines on the match reports won't be what we're just looking at on the 2nd!

Dinny Breen

Horrible Bastards! The whole lot of you.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: ashman on March 11, 2018, 05:09:13 PM
To be honest football is now like the all blacks playing all Ireland league teams .  They are at another level to every other team .  The authorities have created a monster .
The Dubs are loving lording it over Kerry. It was the other way around in the 80s. And it won't last forever.
seafoid, mo chara buan, sometimes you do live up to your handle and this is one of those times. ;D
Can you tell us why you think there is a connection between what happened in the 80s and what is happening now?
And while I'm at it, what makes you think Dublin's dominance won't last forever.
Because Cody couldn't do it . Real Madrid can't do it 
I lived through the Kilkenny stranglehold and saw them in 3 all Ireland finals  They were operating at a higher level like the Dubs now. The more all Irelands the better they got. The more experience. The more insight. The more playing as a team. And the further away they got from the competition the further away individual players got from potential replacements. The team worked as a perfect machine  . You couldn't develop someone to replace Tommy Walsh . So they didn't. 
And the wheels fell off after the core players retired. The backs now need years to get back to the level of 2014. Success on that scale breeds guaranteed failure.
Because Kilkenny hasn't got 1.3m people!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2018, 01:47:05 PM
To be honest football is now like the all blacks playing all Ireland league teams .  They are at another level to every other team .  The authorities have created a monster .
The Dubs are loving lording it over Kerry. It was the other way around in the 80s. And it won't last forever.
seafoid, mo chara buan, sometimes you do live up to your handle and this is one of those times. ;D
Can you tell us why you think there is a connection between what happened in the 80s and what is happening now?
And while I'm at it, what makes you think Dublin's dominance won't last forever.
I lived through the Kilkenny stranglehold and saw them in 3 all Ireland finals  They were operating at a higher level like the Dubs now. The more all Irelands the better they got. The more experience. The more insight. The more playing as a team. And the further away they got from the competition the further away individual players got from potential replacements. The team worked as a perfect machine  . You couldn't develop someone to replace Tommy Walsh . So they didn't. 
And the wheels fell off after the core players retired. The backs now need years to get back to the level of 2014. Success on that scale breeds guaranteed failure.
Because Kilkenny hasn't got 1.3m people!!!!

Kilkenny did not play all their games at home.

Kilkenny players worked for a living

Kilkenny did not get the financial support from the GAA Dublin receives

Kilkenny were not dominating at under 21

Lar Naparka

Fair enough but Kilkenny didn't have any material advantage over their peers. Kilkenny has a population of less than 100,000 and has only 12 senior clubs. Dublin has a population of 1.345 million, which amounts to one third the population of the Irish Republic.
The Kilkenny county board was so piss poor that players had to stand outside churches one Sunday with plastic buckets to cadge money to pay for their own holiday abroad. They got beaten in the end, same as Kerry in the 80s, because they didn't have enough players of sufficient quality to replace the Tyrell and Shefflin, to name but two, when they had to make way for younger men.
Dublin has no problem whatever with younger players lining up to challenge for first team places. That will keep the older players on their toes and will ensure that there will be scraps for places from here to eternity. Ten of the team that beat Kerry in 2011 weren't first teamers in last year's final and yet we are asked to believe that Dublin's success can be put down to the excellence of the present players. When Cluckpo and Berno and Dermo and the likes retire, Dublin will be just another ordinary team again or so we are asked to believe.
That reminds me of Con Houlihan's grandfather's turf spade. According to legend, that particular sléan was still as good as the day it was bought over 100 years before. It only had three new handles and four new heads but it was still the same as ever.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2018, 02:53:12 PM
Fair enough but Kilkenny didn't have any material advantage over their peers. Kilkenny has a population of less than 100,000 and has only 12 senior clubs. Dublin has a population of 1.345 million, which amounts to one third the population of the Irish Republic.
The Kilkenny county board was so piss poor that players had to stand outside churches one Sunday with plastic buckets to cadge money to pay for their own holiday abroad. They got beaten in the end, same as Kerry in the 80s, because they didn't have enough players of sufficient quality to replace the Tyrell and Shefflin, to name but two, when they had to make way for younger men.
Dublin has no problem whatever with younger players lining up to challenge for first team places. That will keep the older players on their toes and will ensure that there will be scraps for places from here to eternity. Ten of the team that beat Kerry in 2011 weren't first teamers in last year's final and yet we are asked to believe that Dublin's success can be put down to the excellence of the present players. When Cluckpo and Berno and Dermo and the likes retire, Dublin will be just another ordinary team again or so we are asked to believe.
That reminds me of Con Houlihan's grandfather's turf spade. According to legend, that particular sléan was still as good as the day it was bought over 100 years before. It only had three new handles and four new heads but it was still the same as ever.
Large swathes of BAC are GAA wastelands so population means less than it does on paper.

There is a team sport dynamic that all great teams are subject to. Liverpool never got back winning League titles. AC Milan fell off their perch. So did Man Utd.

It is a pity Mayo didn't have 2 more scoring forwards that they could have nicked 2 or 3 of the Sams they played for. Other counties will emerge. That is the way it will always be. I am sure Kerry are not happy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 12, 2018, 02:51:37 PM

where does this come from that Dublin players don't work?

there's plenty you can legitimately moan about without making up nonsense to make yourself look like an idiot.

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on March 12, 2018, 04:12:37 PM

there's plenty you can legitimately moan about without making up nonsense to make yourself look like an idiot.

+1

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Kurtz on March 12, 2018, 08:33:51 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2018, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 11, 2018, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 05, 2018, 04:42:43 PM
Predictions

Dublin to beat Kerry
A narrow win for Tyrone v Donegal
Galway and Monaghan to draw a low scoring match
Mayo to beat Kildare

Not too far away. :)

Quote from: cornetto on March 06, 2018, 03:40:46 PM
Kildare v mayo could be the game of the weekend,it's do or die for kildare,a win gives them a chance while mayo have the cushion of Tyrone at home in there next match to garner a minimum 4pts.i expect Galway to beat Monahan in a tight game what odds on both finishing with 15?
Wins for Dublin and donegal.

Don't give up the day-job! ;)
Though Tyrone are more of a hedgehog than a cushion, Mayo will surely langer Tyrone senseless in the next round.
FoSB ?? a tyronite  who finally emerges , throwing shapes, after cowering in some some dark hole for months on end until rescued by Tyrone coming out on top in a relegation dogfight :)

Mayo are mentally strong which is important in GAA
they always push on and do enough to stay up
many teams just give up

Mayo stay up each year because they play stronger starting teams and are fitter for the latter rounds. With two games to play this Division one campaign looks done and dusted already.

Galway v Dublin league final and the only question is the margin of victory for the Dubs?
Kildare relegated and will be a big surprise if Donegal don't join them after that defeat to Tyrone at the weekend.

TheGreatest

More crying and moaning I see.

Population was never an issue pre 2011 when Dublin received their annual hiding to the joy of the hoards outside the capital.

Always nice to beat the Kingdown who did similar to Dublin through the late 70s, 80s, 00s. Please check stats and figures. Swings and roundabouts

easytiger95

This is about the tenth time this particular poster has dragged this point up from the fever swamps of the Dublin Dominance conspiracy theories.

Very hard to take when you see a load of them on the same commuter train day after day.

larryin89

This is why its just pure rubbish even debating with supporters , Dublin fans just believe they happen to come into a golden era because of trojan work done on the ground and above the ground. No extra finances were ever received , playing all their fooking home  league games as well as championship games in croke park is of absolutely no advantage . The super 8 stuff is on another level , I cant for the life of me get my
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Jell 0 Biafra

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh...too angry....can't...finish.....sentence....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2018, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 11, 2018, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 05, 2018, 04:42:43 PM
Predictions

Dublin to beat Kerry
A narrow win for Tyrone v Donegal
Galway and Monaghan to draw a low scoring match
Mayo to beat Kildare

Not too far away. :)

Quote from: cornetto on March 06, 2018, 03:40:46 PM
Kildare v mayo could be the game of the weekend,it's do or die for kildare,a win gives them a chance while mayo have the cushion of Tyrone at home in there next match to garner a minimum 4pts.i expect Galway to beat Monahan in a tight game what odds on both finishing with 15?
Wins for Dublin and donegal.

Don't give up the day-job! ;)
Though Tyrone are more of a hedgehog than a cushion, Mayo will surely langer Tyrone senseless in the next round.
FoSB ?? a tyronite  who finally emerges , throwing shapes, after cowering in some some dark hole for months on end until rescued by Tyrone coming out on top in a relegation dogfight :)

Says the mid-Mon buachaill whose highlight of 2018 so far has been the beating of a Tyrone team in 'Blayney who barely turned up :P

Bring on the first round of the Ulster, till we see who's spouting what :) 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Therealdonald

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 12, 2018, 05:44:28 PM

This is about the tenth time this particular poster has dragged this point up from the fever swamps of the Dublin Dominance conspiracy theories.

Very hard to take when you see a load of them on the same commuter train day after day.

They're probably going to their mid-day training session.