The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimShady

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 05, 2007, 09:29:57 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on April 04, 2007, 06:22:57 PM
Real shame about Aurelio but it's been a great 4 days.Up Brady's hole- shower of begrudgers,bring on the Chelski !

mitent be chelski after lnight

ONeill is a teacher, perhaps he could help you out.

Billys Boots

QuoteBrady has taken such a venomous attitude to Liverpool's progress in this year's CL that I can't help but feel he is resentful that Arsenal can bust humps over the best part of a decade to win the thing only to have the cup dashed so cruelly from their lips ...

I think there's an element of truth there alright deiseach, but I don't think anyone said anything that grated with what transpired the other night.  PSV were missing key players and weren't able to mount a serious challenge - Liverpool played well within themselves and won easily.  The debate about whether Benitez stifled creativity in his team/players was inconclusive; I think even Rafa's family would agree that he's, ahem, careful.  What is very clear is that Mascherano has made a significant difference, and has freed up Gerrard to do what he does best - playing with no responsibilities but to himself.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

cavanmaniac

Really like tho look of Masher so far. But Sissoko is one of Rafa's favourite sons so I'm braced for his return and the inevitable drawbacks it would bring in terms of holding possession, and decent passing in big games where it's paramount to do so properly.

charlie stubbs

agree with cm,i rate sissoko but his tendancy to give the ball away cheaply is worrying,masch has a fine range of passing,however, dont forget how immense momo was in the camp nou.now favourites for the cleague i see

nifan

Mascherano is twice the player of sissoko.
I appreciate sissokos work ethic, but a player who is there to tackle and disrupt in midfield must be able to consistantly pass to a more creative player, or be able to release players himself, something sissoko is unable to.

AZOffaly

Might be a bit early to judge still, but the Maschereno I saw in the last 2 games for Liverpool is the player I thought West Ham signed.

Gerrard on the Right, Maschereno and Alonso in the middle and Riise on the left is a very strong midfield.

Uladh

Mascherano is one of the best midiflders in the world, despite the west ham debacle. how all of the big clubs sat on their hands and allowed liverpool to get him in january i'll never know. united in particular, given their meagre midfield resources, missed a trick.

magpie seanie

Most clubs didn't have the political clout to get the rules bent for them to sign him.

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 05, 2007, 12:36:59 PM
Most clubs didn't have the political clout to get the rules bent for them to sign him.

Exactly right...and hopefully with the Yankee money we can pay a few heads off and re-introduce the back pass rule and watch us conquer England again.

I would re-phase it as been most clubs didn't have the foresight to sign him.

brokencrossbar1

Jaysus seanie you're awful bitter these days.  I know we got him for a song and Utd got Carrick for ....well too much anyway, but that doesn't mean you have to be so hateful about it.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 05, 2007, 11:35:33 AM
agree with cm,i rate sissoko but his tendancy to give the ball away cheaply is worrying,masch has a fine range of passing,however, dont forget how immense momo was in the camp nou.now favourites for the cleague i see

Dont get too carried away, we are only favourites because we are practically in the Semis, you cant say that about the other teams yet.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

charlie stubbs

no what your saying syd, when the semi-final pairings known we will prob be pushed out.agree mascherano maybe better than momo but imo he still has a big part to play for lpool for the next few years!

GalwayBayBoy

ETO'O: I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY WITH STEVIE G

EXCLUSIVE

By Darren Lewis

05/04/2007

BARCELONA striker Samuel Eto'o has given Liverpool fans the first hint he could be attracted by the new-found riches of Rafael Benitez.

The Cameroon hitman is the top target for the Reds following the the multimillion pound investment of new American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Widely viewed as one of the best strikers in world football, 26-year-old Eto'o was missing with a knee injury when Liverpool dumped Barca out of the Champions League. But he admits he is a big fan of Anfield skipper Steve Gerrard, Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and the Premiership.

Eto'o said: "I like Liverpool's courage. They have a big red heart. They showed that against us. We did not underestimate them. You have to recognise that in the two games, Liverpool played extremely well. They defend well and are organised. I like Gerrard. He runs a lot. He does everything well.

Gerrard is the best English player. No, change that, at the moment he is the best player in England."

Eto'o told Four Four Two magazine: "I watch English football. I like the crowd because it is always close to the pitch and the stadiums are always full.

"It's not always like that in Spain. We played at Anfield and it was very loud, with lots of different songs. I like that. Football is different in England. It has a place in English hearts." Eto'o also admitted that his love for English football extended outside Merseyside when asked about his top three strikers.

He replied: "Thierry Henry, Thierry Henry and Thierry Henry.

"He is a great player. He is number one of the great players. Great players score goals and for me he is above everybody."

But Eto'o claims he is not actively seeking a move from Barcelona, and added: "I have a contract here until 2010 and I am happy with that."

Mentalman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 05, 2007, 12:36:59 PM

Well as Rafa said "The rules are the rules. The law is another thing". Your right, UEFA/FIFA would only take one of the 18 or so major European clubs seriously in that regard, in that it wouldn't just be sabre rattling, they actual would launch a case in the EU wrt to labour laws etc. Look what happened with Cork City for example of the dual standards applied. The last thing they want is another Bosman case, which might invalidate their "rules", and weaken their control further. I think such a case is inevitable in any event.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."