The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: corn02 on August 25, 2008, 01:04:07 PM
A much classier player than Pennant. Not first choice but it looks likely at this stage. Could be a good option.

Will take your word for it Corn, always seems to show well against Liverpool, but got the impression he wasn't exactly pulling up trees over the last two seasons. Wouldn't be into just signing someone for the sake of it, or because the targets really wanted are not available, I mean even at 3rd choice he would still garner up around the 15million mark, no?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

corn02

Babel can play both wings. Preferably we would take in two wingers and I would like a worker like Downing and falir player like Queresma or something - never gooing to happen.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on August 25, 2008, 01:14:05 PM
Babel can play both wings. Preferably we would take in two wingers and I would like a worker like Downing and falir player like Queresma or something - never gooing to happen.

I would settle for one half-decent winger at this stage.

Think Downing is a good player. Not flashy and will never be world class but he does all the basics of a good winger well. Keeps wide and delivers decent balls into the box. Far better player than Pennant anyway. I wouldn't exactly be thrilled by his signing but I would take anyone that would give us some width right now. Middlesborough don't seem to want to sell him though and will probably be looking for all the Gareth Barry money off us even to consider it.

Mentalman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 25, 2008, 03:00:12 PM
Quote from: corn02 on August 25, 2008, 01:14:05 PM

I would settle for one half-decent winger at this stage.

Think Downing is a good player. Not flashy and will never be world class but he does all the basics of a good winger well. Keeps wide and delivers decent balls into the box. Far better player than Pennant anyway. I wouldn't exactly be thrilled by his signing but I would take anyone that would give us some width right now. Middlesborough don't seem to want to sell him though and will probably be looking for all the Gareth Barry money off us even to consider it.

At least one player to provide genuine width is needed. Wouldn't mind if the other wing was taken up with a genuinely crafty, creative player. Currently we have neither, unless Babel develops beyond a spped merchant to a winger, but I think he is more likely to end up playing up front.

peterquaife

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 23, 2008, 09:11:41 PM
Quote from: derryexile on August 23, 2008, 07:39:30 PM
We are crying out for width... teams are crowding the middle and we can't break them down... in our two matches so far we have got out of jail owing to moments of magic from individual players!!

Today was lucky!!

Reina - Quality
Arbeloa - Poor, got turned a few times and offered nothing going forward... he is an average player at best, at least Finnan would get forward and would gaurantee at least three to four good crosses per game...
Carragher - Ok
Skertel - Good defensively but gave too many balls away with 30 - 40 yard hopeful balls at best
Dossena - Good defensively and tried to get forward, has the makings of a good left back
Kuyt - Fed up saying this... great workrate, poor shooting, poor passing
Alonso - Very poor today, uncharacteristically gave away a lot of possession
Gerrard - Was ok, but like Alonso gave away a lot of ball
Benayoun - Crap! Why he persists with this clown I will never know! Manages to take it around 2 players and then mislays a 10 yard pass and always manages to find trouble!!!!
Torres - Always looked dangerous but was starved of good quality ball
Keane - Some good link up play with Torres which was encouraging but he too didn't receive enough quality ball

Would agree with most of that after todays game but  I disagree with you about Benayoun,Fair enough today wasn't a good day on site but he is a good player and has preformed very well for Liverpool in the past

Would Benayoun get anywhere near the Utd or Chelsea starting 11, no chance...with players of his calibre, the Reds will finish no higher than 4th place..I hope I'm wrong

J70

Quote from: peterquaife on August 25, 2008, 05:34:02 PM
We are crying out for width... teams are crowding the middle and we can't break them down... in our two matches so far we have got out of jail owing to moments of magic from individual players!!

Today was lucky!!

Reina - Quality
Arbeloa - Poor, got turned a few times and offered nothing going forward... he is an average player at best, at least Finnan would get forward and would gaurantee at least three to four good crosses per game...
Carragher - Ok
Skertel - Good defensively but gave too many balls away with 30 - 40 yard hopeful balls at best
Dossena - Good defensively and tried to get forward, has the makings of a good left back
Benayoun - Crap! Why he persists with this clown I will never know! Manages to take it around 2 players and then mislays a 10 yard pass and always manages to find trouble!!!!
Keane - Some good link up play with Torres which was encouraging but he too didn't receive enough quality ball

Would agree with most of that after todays game but  I disagree with you about Benayoun,Fair enough today wasn't a good day on site but he is a good player and has preformed very well for Liverpool in the past

Would Benayoun get anywhere near the Utd or Chelsea starting 11, no chance...with players of his calibre, the Reds will finish no higher than 4th place..I hope I'm wrong

They may finish third, for what that is worth. This season isn't about winning the title, its about putting up a decent challenge, but it is not clear, at this stage, that even that is going to happen. They would want to get the finger out fairly quickly, starting with Liege.

The Real Laoislad

Today was lucky!!

Reina - Quality
Carragher - Ok

Christ i hate this argument  ::)
Would a player get onto another team....
I think its a ridiculous debate to be honest,Different players suit different teams and their style of play,We saw the Galactiocs of Real Madrid a few seasons ago and they hardly lit the world alight..
You can have average players in a team who can flourish under a certain system,just because you are "world class" doesn't mean you'll fit into a team..Look at Shevchenko for example or Morientas with Liverpool..
11 world class players does not mean you'll have a world class team..
Benayoun has done nothing wrong in my opinion,He wasn't great last saturday but neither were any of the rest of them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mentalman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 25, 2008, 05:49:46 PM

Today was lucky!!

Reina - Quality
Carragher - Ok

I think its a ridiculous debate to be honest,Different players suit different teams and their style of play,We saw the Galactiocs of Real Madrid a few seasons ago and they hardly lit the world alight..
You can have average players in a team who can flourish under a certain system,just because you are "world class" doesn't mean you'll fit into a team..Look at Shevchenko for example or Morientas with Liverpool..
Benayoun has done nothing wrong in my opinion,He wasn't great last saturday but neither were any of the rest of them

I like the fella, but I don't know if he will ever be truely effective for Liverpool. Put it to you this way, I'd swap him, and Kuyt, for Arteta or maybe Bentley.

The Real Laoislad

Good call on Arteta I think he is a fine player,Tim Cahill is another
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 25, 2008, 05:49:46 PM

Today was lucky!!

Reina - Quality
Carragher - Ok

Was going to post the exact same. People don't seem to realise the need for balance. E.g if your full backs are attack minded, your wingers are going to be more defensive and vice versa.

I would wager a guess that Reira or Downing wqill arrive by the weekend. Maybe not the best ever, but it certainly gives more options.

corn02

Official bids for Reira from the two Scouser clubs.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: corn02 on August 25, 2008, 07:00:12 PM
Official bids for Reira from the two Scouser clubs.

Only one winner so...
Source?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Reira An Everton Target
2008-08-23 13:25:00

Everton are reportedly ready to go head to head with local rivals Liverpool in the battle for the signature of Spanish midfielder Albert Riera.

Both clubs are desperate to strengthen their teams before the transfer window closes in just over a weeks time and the left sided international would be ideally suited to both clubs.

Liverpool continue to search for a left side solution while Everton, who have yet to sign a single player this summer, are desperately in need of depth and different first team options.

According to Skysports.com the players club, Espanyol, are believed to have already rejected a cash and player exchange offer from Liverpool but are currently negotiations with the Goodison club over a possible GBP12million move.

Liverpool are believed to have originally offered cash and Andriy Voronin but stories earlier in the week suggested that the Spanish club were thinking more along the lines of a straight cash offer in the region of GBP16million.

Everton boss David Moyes has already missed out on the signings of Joao Moutinho and Tiago this season but the arrival of Reira would be a big coup for Blue side of Merseyside should they be able to pull it off.

I wouldn't blame them for not wanting Voronin.. :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Riera? The same Riera that stank the place out at Man City?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: Minder on August 25, 2008, 08:33:21 PM
Riera? The same Riera that stank the place out at Man City?

Bit harsh. City wante to sign huim and a feee could not be agreed. We have offered 8million and Evrton 12 apparently. Reira getting stroppy and only wants  a move to the Pool.