The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

If Alonso does not go I will agree with you but it hardly makes him a tube though.

nifan

Villa was injured a good bit of this year.
His stats for the year are:

Champions League      Valencia     6 (1)     3     
Primera Liga    Valencia    26 (2)    18    
Spanish Copa del Rey    Valencia    5 (1)    1    

I do not find that at all bad.

I was hoping wed buy him before the euros

Chrisowc

Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2008, 01:40:46 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 11, 2008, 01:37:58 PM

Villa is different class. But we can't afford him.

That's about the height of it.

That's what I was getting at unfortunately.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Norf Tyrone

From a neutral's perspective (Well as neutal as you can get), I think Barry is twice the player Alonso is. It'll be good business to get him at £15 million offset by whatever they receive for Alonso.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Real Laoislad

Going on the last two seasons form i'd take Barry ahead of Alonso
You'll Never Walk Alone.

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on June 11, 2008, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 11, 2008, 01:45:27 PM
I know Hound, was just agreeing with reputations an big tournaments.

Minder how is he a tube?

I just think he is overvalued, over rated and the money could be spent better elsewhere, to be precise a right winger or creative midfielder.

He is an England player playing in England hence the over valuation..

Minder

I agree E C but i dont think Liverpool should pay that amount,surely there is better value on the continent
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bingobus

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 11, 2008, 04:25:41 PM
Going on the last two seasons form i'd take Barry ahead of Alonso

Agreed. I like Alonso and he does a massive amount of work for the team but his role of playmaker has not flourished as expected. He keeps things ticking over in midfield but the last couple of seasons has seen his assist count drop and his passing has become laboured at times and messy in other cases. This has affected his confidence.

Barry is much more aggressive round the box with his passing and shooting plus is prob more versitile that Alonso. Porb not much to choose but I think if its a straight swap or close to it, I'd take Barry at present.

English players are valued at their standard fee plus a International cap levy plus VAT at 17.5% hence they are dearer than Johnny Foreinger  ;)  ;D

Hound

The fact that Degen has been benched for the two Swiss games isnt filling me with confidence that he'll be an improvement on Arbeloa and Finnan.

stevo-08

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2008, 07:03:21 AM
The fact that Degen has been benched for the two Swiss games isnt filling me with confidence that he'll be an improvement on Arbeloa and Finnan.

Was thinking the exact same Hound.

Anyone know the story with Agger. If he comes back fully fit, maybe we'll see more of carragher at rb. Dont know if thats such a good thing.

Hound

I think a big decision Rafa will have to make next season will be leaving Carra out of big games. If Agger makes a full recovery (always a doubt when you miss a full season) and Skrtel develops as he should with more experience of English football, then they should be our best pairing.

I would be very slow (pardon the pun!) to play Carra at right back other than in emergency cases.

gawa316

I think Degen was out injured for the finish to the domestic season, therefore he was not deemed to be match fit for the swiss.

As for leaving Carra out...get real. He is by far our best leader at the back. He gives every thing for Liverpool and actually complements Agger perfectly. Skertal's (Sp?) day will come but not at the expense of Carra at centre back next season

corn02

stevo-08

Lads, I'd have to agree, to a certain extent, with Hound. On last seasons form, Carragher might struggle to keep his place in the centre if Agger makes a full recovery.

Yes, he's a die hard Liverpool man and nobody has a more heart & courage than him. But he's definitely lost a yard of pace and struggled with his form. The only thing I can say in his defence is that for the first half of the season he had Hyypia as a regular partner (& even Hobbs for one game) so he was really carrying the defence on his own. With Skrtel now settled in, and hopefully a fully fit Agger, there'll be less weight on Carragher's shoulders.

Agger has had a full season on the physio bench so there's no doubt Carragher will start the season beside Skrtel. But as Agger gets his sharpness back, there'll be serious competition for the centre back positions. And thats good news.