China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 03, 2020, 02:25:52 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 03, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 03, 2020, 01:35:17 PM
Calm down lad, don't you know stress isn't good for your immune system?  ;)

Bet you actually believe you are clever and funny. Still no word if you stand by your opening gambit?

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

The point is, you seem to have a penchant for abusing people in this thread who you perceive as not agreeing with you. This is not a right or wrong issue and people are and can make up their own minds just to how they feel the need to act in the face on this on going issue.

So if you continue to give sh*t, be prepared to get it back. There is no need to start abusing people because they discuss an issue or say something which you have declared wrong. Everyone is being educated at the same time on this issue. You do not have the answers anymore than the rest of us. Lose the God complex and childish mannerisms. You might get taken seriously.

To that end, RadioGAAGAA and armaghniac have both put in excellent points which at times conflicted with my own, how did we all react? Simple chat. It's that easy. Just dial the aggression down a notch or two - if you don't mind.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 03, 2020, 12:34:34 PM

We may get someone to teach you English and basic sentence construction while we are at it so.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 01:34:11 PM

As for me being partially or somehow responsible for it spreading due to my "recklessness", have a word with yourself and calm down. Absolute nonsense. Up there with some of the biggest crap I've seen online and that's saying something.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 12:20:56 PM

Yes you did, never mind. It probably went over your head anyway.

::)

AFM

Quote from: APM on March 03, 2020, 04:06:35 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2020, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 03, 2020, 12:54:02 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 03, 2020, 12:34:34 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 03, 2020, 12:24:59 PM
Quote from: highorlow on March 03, 2020, 11:02:18 AM
Looking at the latest graph's on this it has flatlined in China and looks to be flatlining elsewhere also. Today's numbers in Italy, France, Germany and Spain should tell a tale. Likely 2 versions of the virus knocking around. We are lucky that when it arrived here we have a cold snap with frost at night, that will stop the spread. 60% recovery rate so far and more and more each day.

You should submit your findings to WHO and get someone to teach you maths.  You and getoverthebar will be saying next I can walk why all these ramps into buildings - ridiculous!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

We may get someone to teach you English and basic sentence construction while we are at it so.

You sound like you are truly consumed by this all and it's really worrying you. Which is fair enough, but your inability to even accept others may not be too worried about it and will continue about their day to day lives is truly baffling. Not everyone wants to buy into the doom and gloom, nor do they want to be abused by someone who wants to force feed (unsubstantiated) end of days stuff to us. I have more to be optimistic about in life.

Our GAA president in waiting sent a letter yesterday to all parents to say that kids who didn't have any symptoms from their recent ski trip were allowed back to school, others had symptoms.  It only takes one child who has the virus to spread to others and whilst all young folk might well fight it off, the wider society is full of old and sick people, why should their health be put at risk because of flippant I am alright attitudes like yours, as for the basic sentence construction, wind your neck in, it's not A-Level English - it's a bunch of halfwits like yourself who thinks they are above everyone else.

I assume the kids who had symptoms are not allowed back to school?

AFM is getting a bit preachy and argumentative alright, but to those arguing with him, I suggest you stop for a moment and think.

If you have an elderly parent, a husband or wife on chemo or an immuno-compromised child, you would be inclined to panic somewhat at the prospect of them being infected.  Depending on your perspective, this could look like a slow motion car crash.  One person's rational response to this crisis, could look very irresponsible to someone with a vulnerable loved one.  Maybe those that are worried, cannot help but worry.

In a nutshell, for those who are at an age when they don't have a vulnerable elderly relative enjoy this time, one can be relaxed about this virus and its potential effect on themselves, I have no issue with that, but as a society surely taking measures to protect others should be encouraged and not met with flippancy, i'll leave it there.

Milltown Row2

Seems like a lot of people in the media are very worried about their sick friends/family

Use common sense, if you've a sick member of your family who fits the description of people who are more likely to get the worst from this flu like virus  ;) (like my dad) then take the proper precautions, ensure they are self isolating or being looked after by someone who's taking the right precautions!

Other than that there isn't much you can do, heaven forbid it happen to a loved one but the panic stuff going on is nuts. You can only deal with it if it happens, before that just be sensible
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

It's coming, wherever you are, and there's not much you can do except try to minimize your own risk of catching it with proper hand-washing and so on. And if you get the symptoms, stay home. Although unfortunately, staying home is not an option for a lot of people who are low-paid and have little or no sick leave allowance. Which I guess is partly why it's definitely on the way in most places.

J70

Quote from: weareros on March 03, 2020, 01:45:44 PM
It's interesting how the virus is showing the values of different societies

China - fence them in
North Korea - shoot them
America - lower interest rates
England - stock up on bog roll
Ireland - sure we'll be grand on the day

;D

APM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2020, 06:25:54 PM
Seems like a lot of people in the media are very worried about their sick friends/family

Use common sense, if you've a sick member of your family who fits the description of people who are more likely to get the worst from this flu like virus  ;) (like my dad) then take the proper precautions, ensure they are self isolating or being looked after by someone who's taking the right precautions!

Other than that there isn't much you can do, heaven forbid it happen to a loved one but the panic stuff going on is nuts. You can only deal with it if it happens, before that just be sensible

Agree, but what is sensible?
Your version of sensible might be different to someone elses. 
Here's an example plenty of people could relate to. 

Someone might decide that they'll not take the kids round to see Grandad because he has just went through Chemo and needs to avoid infection. Meanwhile, their sister, whose kids have always got bugs and snatters (snaughters??), are at Grandad's all weekend, wrecking the place when he needs to rest and liable to give him a dose of the cold or flu. 

Scale that up to a national level.  There is always someone who will sneeze without using a tissue or cough all round the place.  There are people right now that will say, f**k it, I'm going to Lake Garda next week regardless - I don't give a shit if I catch it - at least then I'll be immune.  There are others in Italy that will come to Dublin next week and use the flights and hotels they booked for the six nations.  Then you will have people like this woman from Wuhan that flew to France during the height of the Chinese outbreak.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51231593

At an individual, community and government level, there is a "sweet spot" between complacency and panic.  The problem is that this "sweet spot" is a moving target.  What looks like panic today, could look perfectly rational tomorrow.  What looks rational today, could look like complacency tomorrow. 

To get ahead this disease, the approach needs to err heavily on the side of caution, otherwise we will be chasing the problem. I don't think anyone wants to look back in a year's time and say "that was the time when this could have been contained". 

Even with the best will in the world and a very proactive approach from government and society, the behavior of a few irresponsible people could make the efforts to contain the disease much more difficult. 

APM

.... and I might just add, the problem about this outbreak is that we know so little about it and that makes containment important. 

For example, can a patient be reinfected having cleared the virus and can it stay dormant in the system?  These are things we don't know and that is the main thing that would make people wary. 

The other thing is that a panic response is almost as organic as the disease itself and there's no accounting for human behaviour.  The economy and supply chains are quite sensitive and the ability of the government to deliver public services in the case of widespread sickness would be very limited.  I would be concerned that the economic and systematic impact could be worse than the disease itself and that in itself is a good enough reason for containment. 

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

2nd case confirmed in the east of the country

trailer

Containment doesn't appear to be working. Is there really anything that can be done to stop the spread. All the current measures appear to have done is slow it down. As with all these things if you're hearing about 1 or 2 confirmed cases I'd offer that the real number is significantly higher.

highorlow

Containment is working in the UK .
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 03, 2020, 08:57:00 PM
2nd case confirmed in the east of the country

Woman was in Northern Italy it seems.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AFM

Quote from: APM on March 03, 2020, 06:57:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2020, 06:25:54 PM

Agree, but what is sensible?
Your version of sensible might be different to someone elses. 
Here's an example plenty of people could relate to. 

Someone might decide that they'll not take the kids round to see Grandad because he has just went through Chemo and needs to avoid infection. Meanwhile, their sister, whose kids have always got bugs and snatters (snaughters??), are at Grandad's all weekend, wrecking the place when he needs to rest and liable to give him a dose of the cold or flu. 

Scale that up to a national level.  There is always someone who will sneeze without using a tissue or cough all round the place.  There are people right now that will say, f**k it, I'm going to Lake Garda next week regardless - I don't give a shit if I catch it - at least then I'll be immune.  There are others in Italy that will come to Dublin next week and use the flights and hotels they booked for the six nations.  Then you will have people like this woman from Wuhan that flew to France during the height of the Chinese outbreak.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51231593

At an individual, community and government level, there is a "sweet spot" between complacency and panic.  The problem is that this "sweet spot" is a moving target.  What looks like panic today, could look perfectly rational tomorrow.  What looks rational today, could look like complacency tomorrow. 

To get ahead this disease, the approach needs to err heavily on the side of caution, otherwise we will be chasing the problem. I don't think anyone wants to look back in a year's time and say "that was the time when this could have been contained". 

Even with the best will in the world and a very proactive approach from government and society, the behavior of a few irresponsible people could make the efforts to contain the disease much more difficult.

Have seen that in action first hand, Miltown says just be sensible, most will be sensible and vigilant but if even 5 or 10% just horse on through the day, it negates very quickly others caution.

Milltown Row2

Listening to the radio today, the measures that they are taking for work purposes are extensive.. If I'm closed for 2 weeks that will have a major impact on our business (and my wages) I doubt very much my company will cover my wages.

Self employed people will (depending on the nature of their work) will lose out a lot more
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AFM

Not as much as sick and old people who will potentially lose their lives.